Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

It's up to each club to decide as I've said for the 3rd time now. They know their numbers and if they want to do a Maghera or Corlough so be it that's on them nobody else can decide that for them. If more go that way it will keep you happy anyway.

What's your problem with amalgamations isn't it giving kids games which is what the GAA is about.

I cant understand how you are so against it at juvenile level but want clubs to do it at Senior. Did a team you were coaching get beat in a final by a amalgamated team?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I am not a big fan of underage amalgamations either. They have a place no doubt. For me it comes down to this. If you look at the national schools in your catchment area and you are seeing 10 boys starting each year then you probably need to look for an amalgamation. If you look at your school and see 30 kids yet you are only getting 10 out to train and you decide that you need to amalgamate I think the problem is your club and amalgamation is a quick fix and a wrong thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

I know of clubs who might amalgamate underage,just to play underage at Division 1. They would have enough for a team in Division 3 or 4. It probably helps the club team at Adult level that some of the players are playing at a high level underage ,but players are missing out on football then and giving up by 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

But sure do you not think clubs slowly withering away is losing players and people involved anyway? Maghera are already haemorrhaging players to local rivals and have been for years.

I’ve no issue with amalgamations. I just think where they are consistently needed a club need to make a decision. Just amalgamate all together, at senior and underage.

You are misinterpreting my posts if you feel I’ve an issue with them. You’ve also totally ignored all points about Peter Quinn’s report. The fact is there was an extensive study on this and we’ve too many clubs it found.

I’m not blaming the clubs either. Some of them may have some fault but at the end of the day it’s very difficult to combat changing society.

The likes of St Finbarrs (Kill/Drung) amalgamate and then enter two teams into that. I’ve never understood that to be honest. If they’ve enough for two teams, they should have enough for each club to at least enter an 11 a side team.

• Advertisement

I'm not ignoring Peter Quinns report, how many years was it ago now? It was the biggest waste of money ever spent where do you think it is now, on a shelf in Breffni Park or put through a shredder is my guess.

I will use Drung and Kill as an example and i explained this to you before. They need to amalgamate most years at underage and have a agreement in place going back decades. In a given age group Drung may have 11 players (not enough to field on there own and Kill might have 20 (enough to field on there own but due to the agreement they don't let the other team down). Lately they enter two teams where they can to ensure as many lads as possible get games which is a good thing.

Now if you step up to Senior teams Kill have a currently panel of approximately 35 and Drung have 30 or so. If you were to amalgamate there would be 65 players which would lead to a lot of lads getting very little action and likely quitting.

All a club needs is 3-4 players coming into the Senior panel every year to keep things going. It will likely come to a head at some stage but it's working well for both clubs currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

have you ever seen Kill play Drung at senior level? Drop down the next time they draw each other in the junior championship and get them on the field at half time to discuss one of them folding up their tent (or both) and amalgamating 😀

Us offering solutions anonymously on boards.ie doesn't strike me as something that is very ballsy to be honest, but sure there you go.

For what it is worth, I think two practical suggestions would be (a) a programme for coach development to invest in coaching structures and ensuring that coaches in each club (and at all levels) are up to a certain standard. Not sure whether that is the case at home, but as part of the Cavan diaspora that is the case where I am. Different numbers and resources, but that is something that could be developed.

Personally, I think that the competitions at adult level could be restructured. 40 teams, 4 divisions in league, and assuming all are fielding teams, 4 competitions come championship (senior, intermediate, junior and junior B) with 10 teams in each. Personally in senior there's a few teams hovering at the bottom that could give intermediate a rattle but aren't doing much other than avoid relegation in senior. That's even more the case for about 6/7 intermediate teams. A reshuffle like that would make things closer and more competitive which is what most clubs, players and supporters would want.

The only way that is right is if one team is very small and wouldnt survive on their own. Otherwise in my opinion it is wrong and often such an amalgamation will end up working well for one team at senior level and not the other.

That’s been raised here before but from U14 to minor, they know nothing but playing together. They’ve 65 players between them according to a poster above, those numbers don’t add up for amalgamating at underage for me if they’re correct. Both Drung and Kill play separately up to U12 and then suddenly amalgamate - where are the numbers going? It’s not to get into a higher Division as they are normally in Divisions like 3 and 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

More often than not the team that you amalgamate with at underage is often your biggest derby at senior level so the idea of amalgamation at senior level and losing their own club identity is unthinkable at many clubs and this problem is the same in every county from malin to mizen

It's not a simple solution or a one size fits all....

There seems to be a lot of players from Laragh gone to Australia. They'll likely be in the relegation mix in the Senior championship m

Is there anything to be said for another amalgamation????

Them and Lavey would probably be a fiery amalgamation.

I see Cian Bannon scored 1-4 last week for Gowna last weekend against Kingscourt. He was in Australia for the last 5 or 6 years. Another good option in the forwards.

Laragh is already an amalgamation. They saw the light 50 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 StayDownKing

Should the county board not look at the Meath league structure of 10 divisions, Relegation and promotion in all and clubs find their level while keeping their senior club status. Also allows proper football for reserve teams from the larger clubs. Teams like Carnaross, Moynalty, Cortown are in division 5 in Meath, The likes of Maghera & Corlough could be the same. Also has more teams winning cups creating more of a buzz in area's. There are teams in Cavan that haven't won a cup of any sort in decades.

Sarcasm, the lowest form of wit, doesn’t really work on message boards.

Sarcasm (online or in real life) might not be everyone's cup of tae, but I prefer it to pomposity any day.

Interestingly, I often find people who use the phrase "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" tend not to know it's origin or indeed the full quote. I'm not suggesting that is the case in this instance given the all-pervasive knowledge of this poster, so I am taking this in the context of Wilde and, therefore, many thanks for the compliment Cavan King.

You're too kind. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Arva gave Gowna a hammering last night. They will be the team to beat in Intermediate. Cuchulainns will be in the reckoning too. Did the Michael Muldoon and Ryan Tobin transfers go through from Maghera?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,883 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Next year's Ulster and Leinster Senior Football Finals will be a double-header in Croke Park.

Maghera seem to be back fulfilling fixtures so I’m not sure how that is going to work.

Re the intermediate, it’s so competitive I feel because there’s such a drop off in quality between it and even the lower level senior teams - as shown by how often the intermediate champs don’t last long at senior or the relegated club from senior bounces back up.

I remember watching one of the intermediate semi finals last year, think it was Killinkere vs Denn, and thinking how low quality it was. It was certainly very forgettable because I’m not even sure of the two teams!

I would have thought Cootehill would be lining up to give it a rattle as they’d a lot of good juvenile teams coming through but they conceded a League game last night I see.

Drumlane looked a good side when they won Junior and unlucky to lose the Ulster Junior final. They died push on since and near the bottom in Division 3. A lot of the teams in Division 2 lack consistency bar Killygarry, who would be a good senior team

It’s hard to read too much into the League sometimes. Drumlane had some of their better players away so they may be aiming to peak in the championship. If you’re in Division 3 and aren’t going to get promoted, there’s not a lot to play for.

Shercock have gone from Senior until two years ago to now being in the relegation shake up for Div 3.

I still think the League should be top/bottom automatically promoted/relegated to give an incentive to teams and then the 2nd promotion/relegation places should be play offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

I know it's oy league football and the real fun starts in a few weeks and I may be biased but Ramor are playing some clinical attacking football night and day to what we seen in the last couple of years.

McEvoy is a generational talent but from what I've heard he may be back stateside for the main event.

Why are they playing him then? Is he not taking the place of a lad has trained all year and have they not big numbers given their population?

Hopefully his League endeavours are over in the next game!!

A long way off, but I see the Cavan Senior and Intermediate Champions play the Down winners on November 10th in Newry.

Sunday 10th Nov 2024

Interesting to look at underage girls football at the moment. Cavan this year, quite incredibly, will have contested the "A" All Ireland finals at U14 (they lost this narrowly), U16 (playing Mayo this weekend) and U18 (trashed Kildare in the semi final last night by 19 points, now face Kerry).

What are we doing with the girls that we are not doing with the boys??

• Advertisement

Good achievements. They do it differently in the ladies games ,with All Ireland titles at u14 and u16. I don't think would work in the men's game, because players would be blown up before they reach Minor level

Advertisement