Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on that note, most images and videos i've seen of it seem to have been shot in sunny places (california, i assume); i wonder how it would cope with irish weather if the display model is already showing rust in spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder how it was shipped over, if it wasn't inside a container it would have been exposed to rusty sea air.

But even on the already sold ones, there's rust and other bad manufacturing defects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd have to assume it was containerised before shipping - long way from my area of expertise, but i'd have assumed shipping without a container is simply not possible.

Yes but there are multiple options, paying for a container (most expensive) down to Ro-Ro (cheapest - where you deliver the car to the port and they transport it wherever they can fit it on the ship)
    Obviously transporting it RORO would give more air exposure than being driven (by the semi?) in an enclosed shipping container and never testing sea air.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't think that's relevant though, I had a car back in the day where the owner lived right on Brighton coast and there was zero rust anywhere at 4 years old, rust on such a new car wherever it was is not good

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Of course, rusting at this point in time only as its new is like the old ladas and skodas and 70's japanese cars used to be. Completely unnacceptable for a 100k car in 2024

a colleague's parents lived not far from brighton and he said the salty air made **** of their brake discs.

Our GWM Ora 03/Funky Cat has rusty brake discs already, after only 12 months and 10k km… cheap car from china doing cheap car things. Shouldnt happen on a 100k+ car (or any in the western world anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well the reason is probably that it only costs you 100k+ 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That cherry red Model X Plaid in Sandyford warms the heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭irelandjnr

Saw it in Cork.

My question is: why is it here in Ireland if it likely won’t be sold here? It’s more of a tease than anything, tbh. Obviously they could redesign the front end for European roads to get it to pass any potential European regulations, but to what end? If they were forced to round the front end off to be allowed to sell it over here that would probably kill the whole aesthetic. If that was the case it would be wisest to not sell it here at all.

Yes, it’s currently probably very dangerous for pedestrians to get hit with even at slow speeds, far more than other vehicles of a similar size, in my estimation (after seen it in person, especially on those front corners) but to redesign it would likely take the look off it.

Unsure if there’s a way to mostly keep how it looks on the front end, and make that area softer and more pedestrian friendly. If that was the compromise perhaps there’s a way, but if they were forced to round it all off then I’d say they should give it a miss and not bring it to Europe.

Perhaps regulators would allow them to keep everything as-is and simply add additional 2” thick rubber padding parts stuck on around certain problematic areas in a highly focused and deliberate visual manner? If done right, and perhaps also if the rubber was somewhat angular, maybe the right designer could pull it off and allow the vehicle to mostly retain its particular look. The Cybertruck design doesn’t appeal to everyone, but that’s not its job. It’s an opinionated design and a statement piece. It’s good to have opinionated design make a comeback to the motor world. We should all welcome that.

Post edited by irelandjnr on

Which one?

Like the way the US had to modify the sports cars etc in the 80s, adding ridiculous bumpers.
    If that's what it takes to have it legally sold here then so be it. I'm sure I could remove them anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭creedp

That would be the problem! If such mouldings could be easily removed, they would, and would be back to square one. Can't see it happenning. Grey import or not at all

FWIW I agree with you, it is very very unlikely that any form of the actual cybertruck would be sold here. We may get an EV version of something like a ford ranger/nissan navara, or nothing at all and get a white van instead.

Remove them and stick ‘em back on before the NCT 😜

Any examples?

i have seen episodes of wheeler dealers, the ones set in the states, where they've taken european cars sold in america with the big bumpers, and retrofitted european style bumpers to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I took this on Saturday in Monaco, each to their own but it’s a hideous thing in the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That looks like something the Russians cobbled together to use over in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭josip

They'd never let that thing near Hotel de Paris.

• Advertisement

look again in the background of this photo. I would have thought the same but there you go…

in black, it manages to magnify the effect that the front of the vehicle has been cut off; i.e. that the front wheels are too close to the front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭josip

That's it, I'm finished with the Hotel so.

No more hours spent standing outside, gazing at the wonderful selection of cars. That's just so commoner brash.

Pink Roller, yep. Lime green Huracan, no prob. But a DeLorean on steroids?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just for anyone stupid enough to be even considering bringing one of these monstrosity here.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C89qaCTKywP/?igsh=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

It’s different. It’s out there. Not everyone likes “out there” styling. It’s no boring Toyota or VW, but it wasn’t aimed to compete with that end of the mundane market.

I woukd not call Toyotas boring anymore. They used to be a still make the odd boringcar for there Conservative clients but the current Rav-4 and C-HR, Corolla etc at not boring.

VWs do yes they are boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Some idiot in some east europe country drives into a lake? And?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes Toyotas are boring. We all agree with you.

• Advertisement
    Ms

IIt's Slovakia And it's useless off road is the message here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement