Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

AC charging doesn't make sense from A commercial perspective, it only does as a value add. The cost of the ground works and the cost of maintaining it in working order clearly exceed the return cost. Customer throughput is low and customer acquisition is also low.

So that means public AC chargers are expensive to install and maintain, are under utilised and when they are utilised their ability to sell electricity is constrained by their inherent slow speed and the market expectation that slow should be cheaper.

The only place AC has commercially is where it can be located as a value add or a draw for EV owners. As an EV owner, I am far more likely to book a hotel with charging than not for example. That said, I recently stayed at a clayton and it's AC rate was an extortionate 75c/kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

But you still paid the 75c per kwh I bet, I know I would. Why? Because probably 90+% of all your charging is done at home for less than 15c per kwh

+1

If I plugged in Lady Grey - my 222 model 3 - at 0% I'd probably get to around 65-70% or so at 45 minutes. My X75D would have been at a similar percentage (due to larger battery but lower voltage and a less aggressive charge curve). My S90D would probably only be at 55% or so, the voltage is limiting the speed at the low end but it held >40kW to 75-80%

My 24kWh leaf on the other hand, tapers to 30kW at around 50% and is below 10kW at 75%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You're right, I did. But I stopped the charge as soon as I had sufficient + small buffer for the return journey. If it was even the high ecars rate I'd have filled to 80%

Paying such a high fee did sting a bit but as you say I do most at home so I'm willing to take a bit of pain on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No new cars take 22kW AC

The 2024 Mini Countryman SE I'll be collecting in a couple of weeks begs to differ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Touche. I thought 22kW AC died with the Zoe and the original Model S (and one or two oddities like the first smart EV etc). I'll change my "no" to "almost no" lol

Also I believe there are other BMW electric models out there that can have 22kW AC — looks like it's standard on some trims of the i5 Touring, an option on the iX1, etc

So it definitely looks like the BMW Group is keen to bring it back, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Doesnt the Ariya take 22kW as standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

The Renault Megane eTech also has 22kw AC if you configure it

• Advertisement

Not standard on all, but it's definitely available:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Taycan also had 22kW AC available as an option but knowing Porsche it probably cost €€€.

Love to know the % of EVs that can charge at 22kw per year of registration. Is it decreasing is it significant. Probably the charging network can tell how many use them at 22kw. Tbh it would be really interesting to see some statistics of charging sessions. How long, what cost, how much energy etc.

I wonder how much of a fringe case is someone stopping at kells and needs a 22kw AC charge to get 80% so they can get home to their apartment with no home charger. Number of times these fringe cases are mentioned they must be 50% of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Megastreisand

22kW charging is a c.€1k option on the iX. I think BMW call it charging professional or something. Obviously that's an outrageous amount but I've found it very useful when attending various events- concerts, matches, funerals etc that are some distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If I was buying an iX off the shelf (and I could be when the Model 3 is no longer fit for purpose), that’s a box I’d be ticking all day long if it was only €1k..

My only issue with AC chargers is that I've got a 7kw charger, and there's very few places where I will stop long enough on route for it to make it worthwhile to use vs using a DC charger. On one of my few long trips, I had to fall back on a AC charger and all it really got me for an hour was a tiny extra safety margin. I still had to hit a DC charger before travelling any distance.

As destination chargers they make sense. For me at least.

I will top up on my home charger for an hour now and then. But that's a destination.

If you're buying new it makes sense, never mind if its a 90k+ car.

22kw of range is a lot more useful than 7kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I had my first real experience of living off 3 phase charging in France recently, the campsite had a bank of 6x 27kW AC chargers

Why 27kW? I've no idea, maybe all their nuclear reactors were running hot or something

Anyway, the ID.4 only charges at 11kW. It was a bit strange plugging in at the morning and the car is done sometime around lunchtime, I'm used to charging overnight

I definitely preferred fetching the car from the charger and bringing back to the cabin overnight rather than leaving it at the charger and having to trek to it in the morning.

22kW charging would have been nice option, but I'm not sure it would have been any more convenient under the circumstances. It would probably reduce my time on the charger to 1-2 hours, which would be better for turnaround times if they're ever busy.

But if I'm in the pool for a few hours then the car might be sitting idling for a while, which isn't ideal. So then it would be better to have more chargers but less powerful ones

There's also a fair argument that a bank of 50kW DC chargers with two plugs and loads sharing would be better since basically every car nowadays can use them fully

However I'm pretty sure even the cheapest DC charger is still more expensive than a dual port 22kW AC charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

That's classic BMW, a €40k car with a €50k badge on it 😂

The thing I'm really excited to have 22kW AC for is those short trips to do the shopping or whatever. I have no access to a home charger, and likely never will in my current place, so I rely fully on the public network.

With 22kW I can hop into Dundrum SC for an hour in the morning — casually do some shopping and grab a coffee — and I'll probably have picked up 100km worth of range on the ESB chargers there.

I currently have the iX40 with just 11kW AC and in the same time, I'd only be getting about 45km of charge (partly the Mini just being a more efficient car)

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, Pavillions shopping centre has 10x 22kW AC chargers and 2 hours free parking. That's an easy 100-150km of range while doing the Dunnes shop or watching a movie

Of course the chargers are busy half the time anyway 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

What response would you like? Nobody here ever has to wait for a charger. This thread only has people who think EV ownership is dreamy and has no issues ever. People who tell the truth, good and bad about EV ownership dont belong in this thread, so im out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Dont you know. In this thread there are never charging queues, so how could you ever get held up at one :)

I had , of all things, a feckin outlander phev queuing beside me (in my 24kwh leaf). They waited 20 minuites while I was charging and then charged. At current prices it's cheaper for them to drive on petrol than to fast charge. Not to mention the 20 minute wait and 30+ minute charge time.

There are queues out there, especially at SPOF chademo sites. CCS drivers, especially new ones, are spoiled. They can charge at multi unit sites, they have 200-300km range so need to charge less anyway. I suspect that (and the straight out in delusion land EVangelists, of which I am not one) are the reason for the perception most folks have that they never queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply giving you the reason ESB have these overstay charges. I'm certainly not advocating for the ESB, certainly I'd consider myself to be regularly more critical of them than others

While you are happy enough to pay the overstay there's plenty who are not and will spend enough time at a 50kW just to get to the next station, or indeed home. As a result of this the 50kW charger you use is now less likely to be in-use by someone else when you arrive so there's upsides and downsides to everything.

Again the 25kW infrastructure idea you have is a good one. I'd personally like to see ESB offer their public network for the same price as what current household prices are with the addition of a monthly set fee. They could go one step further and have it all charged directly to your home bill

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

why were you hogging the charger for 20 min, that outlander is far more important ! ( i have an somewhat converted outlander with a 30kwh battery , and charge all the time and people give me looks, dont care eff them.)

its a really silly conversation in this thread, form "theres no ques" to "you blind fools, canty you see teh que!!!!!!1111" to "im more importatn in my full ev then you in your phev".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd personally like to see ESB offer their public network for the same price as what current household prices are with the addition of a monthly set fee. They could go one step further and have it all charged directly to your home bill

I don't want one of our primary network operators to be operating at a loss, the electricity sold needs to cover wholesale energy purchase, operations and capital costs for the network. The system needs to generate revenue to support its expansions.

Similarly, home billing shouldn't be provided by charge point operators (CPO), if it's a product that people want then it should be offered by domestic utility companies operating as a mobility services provider (MSP). I do believe we should legislate to force all CPOs to be compatible with MSPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Who said anything about operating at a loss? Certainly recent history has shown there to be very little chance of that happening

If people could pay the same rate at home as on the road it would open EV adoption to those in apartments, renters and anybody else without charge points

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't believe it's possible for a charge point operator to match the prices of charging at home when they also need to cover the site rental, operating and capex costs to deploy a high-powered charger. You're call for that would mean operating at a loss.

As to recent history, unless you have access to some insider knowledge, I'm not aware that eCars have ever shared details about profitable of their business. All we have is financial statements that show it's part of a larger ESB group company that has lost money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I'm definitely in the camp of being a spoiled new CCS driver with lots of range :) On a more serious note though, that does allow me (and other spoiled CCS drivers like me) to plan my charging stops at quieter locations. I'm in an EV 6 months, done 16,000km in that time and never had to queue once - that has been reality for me, but then again I don't live in Dublin and need to use some of the busier locations.

I've chatted to a couple of Leaf owners over the last few months about their cross country trips over the years and heard their horror stories around SPOF sites. I get it that the experience of CHAdeMO users is likely to be completely different to newer CCS drivers.

Advertisement