Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Panel Suppliers list.

• 18-06-2024 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I'm currently planning a DIY Ground mount solar install so I'm shopping around for solar modules. I have tried a few wholesalers but wondered if there are any that I have missed that will supply only? Below is who I have tried. I would be grateful for any additional suggestions.

Western Solar

Failte Solar

EEL Greentech

National Electrical wholesalers

Kellihers electrical

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

midsummer.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭247music

Oh ya, thanks had forgotten about them & solartricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Squatman

any chance you could document your project, or link to useful guides. considering the same owed to the impressive pricing of the raw components vs the end cost, would bring a tear to a glass eye

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

you will be charged vat at 23% whereas supply and install has vat at 0%.

If you knew a friendly vat registered business they could buy for you, claim the vat back and invoice you for supply and install at 0% and of course just charge you the price of the hardware.

this has been done before and personally I dont see it as dodgy. You are not robbing the revenue of vat because if you had gone through an actual installer vat would be zero anyway. You do not have to be seai registered to install solar systems, you do if you want to allow customers to avail of grants.

The eu rule change last year re 0% vat has no mention of supply and install. Indeed it allows for private individuals to go to any supplier and be charged 0% at the till. Some countries have done this.

The eu rules are also not limited to solar installs, heatpumps, storage batteries, wind etc were included. Its up to member countries how they apply it.

in his rush to help the people to save money and help the environment Eamon did nothing for nearly a year when this came into force and then did the minimum he could.

I did have emails back and forth to a green td and to both of our surprise the announcement of how we would implement this change was made - it appears zero discussion on how to use this rule change was had with green tds so I suppose that applies to the party as well.

the greens are very keen on heatpumps which can actually be simple enough to retro fit - the price of the unit of course has around a minimum of €1,000 of vat. That’s a big chunk when you are encouraging people to go that route.

As I said to the td solar (and heatpumps) are expensive, you need the money. It seems very unfair that a person who makes the effort to stretch finances to install panels but can’t afford a battery (for example) will have to pay 23% vat when they have saved to buy one.

There are many ways to lower solar install prices without giving grants but the greens are just not interested.

perhaps you can source from the eu without the vat, from a country that has implemented the eu directive fully so you won’t need a vat number. If you find one I am sure it will be of interest to boardsies.

there have been a few hundred houses built in the last year near me, two separate companies and in two locations . All have heatpumps and no solar panels - the builders meet their green targets with the heatpump alone so don’t bother with panels.

I could order a 4kw system from Kellihers now with a non hybrid inverter for €1,300 ex vat. Doing this at build time might cost sub€1,000 for the hardware and there is little extra work to be done during the build process . But no, greens did not care about that it appears.

Now those new home owners can’t offset their heatpump bills with solar without spending around €6k, no grants either for new homes

Good luck with the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What are you ordering from Kellihers for that money? I'll be buying in a few weeks from them but not decided on spec.

• Advertisement

forget the below, I will try and create a pic to attach. Can’t seem to scrap this post

Quantity

Part

Rexel
    Code

Datasheet / info

Price per unit
    ex VAT

Net Total

TrinaSolar Glass Glass Transparent Black Frame 435w  (1754mm x 1096mm)

TSM-435 NEG9RC.27

€84.83

€1,357.28

Huawei 5KTL 1ph battery ready inverter w/wifi

SUN2000L 5KTL-L1

€810.00

€810.00

Huawei Smart Power Sensor (single phase)  with 100ACT clamp

DDSU666-H

€68.00

€68.00

Alu Side++ profile L=2370 mm

€21.39

€85.56

Alu Side++ profile L=3520 mm    

€28.75

€230.00

Anodised universal panel MID clamp BLACK

721550ZW

€1.87

€52.36

Anodised universal END clamp BLACK

721552ZW

€2.45

€19.60

Black plastic end cap for Side++ and trapezoidal profile

€2.13

€17.04

Alu coupling for Side+ profile with 4x hammerhead bolt M8x20mm

€2.95

€23.60

Strongline roof hook - 3 x adjustable + hammerhead bolt + flange nut. Stainless Steel.

€7.48

€359.04

Stainless steel TORX-SCREW 6.6X60 - T25 – multiples of 100no. Only (100no. Screws per pack)

€0.57

€57.00

Subtotal

€3,079.48

23%

VAT

€708.28

Total

This is from 13th May, soMe prices from Kelihers for a friend I bought my hardware from them for a self install last year. They sell to anybody . I can’t find the price they gave me for a non hybrid invertor but I think it was €520 ex vat for a 5kW, you can find them elsewhere for this price.

My estimate for a 4kW non hybrid system with all the roof mounts cables etc should probably be maybe €1600 ex vat

the fireman’s switch is not needed by the seai if the dc from the panels to the inverter is 1.5m or less I think and they are around €130 ex vat . Most would say this switch is not necessary and if you are doing a self instal there is no grant so no seai but you do need a safelecteic person to complete, sign and submit the nc6 so they might insist - my chap did but no big deal .

I would say a builder buying 200 kits at a time could probably get all hardware for a 4kW non hybrid for little over €1,000 each ex vat. Not sure how vat works on new houses or if their house price can exclude vat if they are supplied with solar. I doubt it would matter match on the price of a new house, it might be 13.5% on a house so a couple of hundred in vat for the solar makes no odds. No bat on new builds in the Uk, not a chance of that here!

markup is shocking with a lot of solar installers. I saved €6k doing it myself from my cheapest quote a year or so ago and it took less than a day all in. My setup had €2k worth of non intrusive flat roof mount and 8.5kW of panels (east west setup) to compensate for the low angle. Hybrid 6kW inverter, no battery and no vat.

I think I paid €100 ex vat for 425w panels a year ago from kelihers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for that. Tired getting stock prices from them so I could decide on what combination I wanted but they wouldn't give it to me.

I dont think they publish prices on the web So maybe that’s why they would. It give them, if you asked for prices of what they had in stock.

I asked for a quote for an entire system both for myself last year and my mate in May and it was no bother. I went back and forward a couple of times and they re priced no bother.

try asking for a complete system and see how you get on.

Trina are a fairly high voltage panel, I looked at these on Midsummer.. think the were about 52.2 Voc each... So if your putting 8 on each string it won't allow much expansion after this in the future is you wanted. Just something to keep in mind. Jinko are around the 39 Voc in for the 440w bifacial.

• Advertisement

I'm two years talking about my DIY solar now.. :) But that's the downside of doing it yourself. But by September I should have a 10.4kwp made up of 24 bifacial modules on a single axis adjustable ground mount with 15kw battery and Eddi, for under 8k.. worth the grief involved, quicker Roi and job satisfaction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

What inverter are you going to use? That's a nice system.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Picked up a 6Kw Solis Hybrid 2d hand.. Will use that for now and see how it works out..

It's not a total reality as yet! I'm haggling with wholesalers over panels at the moment.. 😏

Thinking of going with JA Solar Bifacial panels..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭con747

If you are submitting an NC6 form to ESBN for that system the 6Kw inverter won't be allowed because the regulations limit it to 25 amps or a 5.5Kw inverter if anyone makes one that meets the regs.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/generator-connections-group/micro-generators-

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rovid

hi all I want to complete a diy install and have a question as to nc6 form I’m not going for grant so what is the process if anyone has done this I would appreciate the steps taken re sign off ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK you still need to submit the NC6 to ESBN so a registered electrician needs to do that and you are restricted to certain inverters unless you go the NC7 route which costs about €900 odd but stand to be corrected.   https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/generator-connections-group/micro-generators-

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement