Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike rack for 4 bikes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Apologies, I'd like to go to the one place, if I can, that sells the racks and installs the towbar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Malcolms in Rathcoole do towbar fitting and bike rack sales. The Witter rack they have is identical to the Peruzzo one from the last page, just different branding.

I got them to fit my tow bar last year and would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

The Peruzzo Pure Instinct 4 arrived from Micks Garage this morning.

Superficial damage to the plastic near the clamp handle which I have emailled them about .

(their packaging isn't great )

Just tried mounting it on the towbar there now.. it fits.. but it sways left and right a bit.. haven't tried it with Bikes on it cos I may be sending it back.. but anyone know is there some adjustment that is needed to prevent that movement?

(I haven't opened the box that comes with it containing the rest of the parts and presumably the manual..)

Ohh wait.. found the manual online..
    Ahh feck, have to use straps??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

They're the ones with the "Trade Login or Contact Us For Price" nonsense on their website, which I cannot stand. I'll check around and come back to them if I don't find anything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

depends on how much stuff you put on the bike rack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

Page 2 of the manual. There's an hex key to adjust it.

Straps seen unnecessary unless it's back up to prevent the tilting function. Haven't seen them as necessary on any other tow bar bike I've ever used or seen. My buzz rack is absolutely rock solid.

Whole point of using a tow bar bike rack to me was to save faffing around with straps and damaging the paintwork. Makes using tilt on rack awkward also. Does it tilt enough for you to open your boot? It looks tight in manual as it is hinged so close to tow bar. Might have clearance issues with a large MPV boot or if ground clearance is low.

Page 2 of the manual. There's an hex key to adjust

Yeah, saw that… but page 5 of the manual says ye've to use straps for the 4 bike version (708/4)

Straps seen unnecessary unless it's back up to prevent the tilting function.
    Haven't seen them as necessary on any other tow bar bike I've ever used or seen. My buzz rack is absolutely rock solid.
    Whole point of using a tow bar bike rack to me was to save faffing around with straps and damaging the paintwork.

Well exactly.. thats the whole reason I went for a towbar mounted one.. (actually the whole reason I got a towbar fitted). So it seems bloody stupid to me….

Makes using tilt on rack awkward also. Does it tilt enough for you to open your boot? It looks tight in manual as it is hinged so close to tow bar. Might have clearance issues with a large MPV boot or if ground clearance is low.

Yeah, to tilt I'd have to open out the straps too… pain.

My boot is a split with a tailgate.. (2008 Koleos) .. so I'd probably get the top half open no problem.
    That said, I didn't fully assemble it and try it with the four bikes yet.
    I've a question in to Micks Garage cos it came out of the box with damage to a plastic panel.. so want to see would I return it or what.

I'm leaning towards a refund and getting a Buzzrack Wing from Bikeable.com for the same money…

The tilt on that does look like it would work better if I end up with a car that doesn't have a tailgate.. hmmm…

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

Wind the hex good and tight, I never fit the straps. I will prob use them this winter when we have all the cx bikes on as the lads are gerring bigger and so are the bikes.

The straps prevent lateral movement/ rotation only and I've only had mine move when a dope hit it with their car in a car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

If you have the same experience as me, you'll have extreme frustration dealing with Mick's Garage and their so called customer service. Wait, and wait, and wait……. Absolutely terrible and it will put me off buying from them again, although they ultimately resolved the issue, eventually.

I bought a different 4-bike towbar rack from them (this one - Steinhof Veturo 4) and it came with some damage. Ultimately didn't prevent me from using it and as I was on a tight timeline (going to France on holidays), I 'fixed' it myself and MG eventually sent out a replacement part for the bit that was damaged.

I can recommend the rack itself, great product. Have had it to and from France with 4-bikes on it. Tilting works well etc.

Thanks,
    Yeah, I reported the rack arriving broken and had to wait a week for a reply.

Finally got two responses , one offering a replacement panel for the rack( but it was the wrong part), and another saying grand heres a returns code and label.

So I packed it back up and An Post picked it up yesterday.

So lets see how long the refund takes.. lol..

At this stage (having done it twice now) I'm tired of payin Micks €5 delivery and AnPost €6 for returns… Paying €10 a go just to get a look at something is adding up..

So I think I'll just go with someone local for a Buzzrack…

The wife reckons the summer will be over before we ever manage to arrive at a greenway… lol.

Advertisement