Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the Ireland we live in now?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

4-6 punches from a soldier to a woman in the street could be/should be attempted murder

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Babyreignbow

the fact he was triggered after being asked to stop calling people faggots is just *chefs kiss

I hope that woman is being provided with all the help she needs.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, is there not some famed rule that if you are trained in 'the deadly arts' that any sort of assault is considered assault with a deadly weapon?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The judge is a **** disgrace. Making up any excuse to pardon this scumbag criminal.

Honestly, who could blame them if 4 or 5 of her male friends and relatives wearing balaclavas hospitalised this "soldier" with tyre irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How his superiors in the army can take him back and give character statements given what he did baffles me

Our justice system is fcuked, should be in prison for at least 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stuff like this makes my blood boil.

The judge: do you realize what I’m doing for you here…what a marvellous chap

Judge Tom O’Donnell wished Ms O’Brien well and asked her if she understood "the significance" of Crotty’s guilty plea in that it had eliminated the necessity for a trial which would have compounded her trauma, and that if Crotty had contested the case, it would have been prolonged by approximately 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Crazy sentence. You have to wonder why.

Because our justice system is appallingly lenient on serious crime. When a man gets 6 years for garlic fraud, and this absolute scumbag walks free after an appalling assault on a woman, you know something is rotten to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The commandant who attended the trial and who reported that he was a reliable officer, also said he was there to observe the trial and report back to superiors on the defendants suitability or otherwise. So the story is not finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

This really would sicken ya

https://x.com/culladgh/status/1803805001896124421?s=46&t=zBgl0qt7qAO9oGlrZe0o-w

hope he spends the rest of his life being kicked in the knob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Latest offering from the department of justice:

"Tough on crime".

lol

Wonder is there a minimal sentence for attack using knuckle dusters?

When the coppers eventually catch the perpetrator…………. if they could even be bothered to do so?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You'd wonder if they will be bothered given he was an older foreign dude who looked like he could be living rough. I wont hold my breath.

“I lived in constant fear that it could still result in my death. Cathal Crotty’s actions left me in a place of darkness, I have been suffering symptoms of PTSD, and I’ve had to attend multiple therapists since the attack.” 

This is possibly the worst part of such attacks.

Victims essentially do suffer from lasting symptoms of PTSD, acute social anxiety, etc.

“A sense of constant dread and isolation was unlike anything I have ever experienced and I spiraled into self-destructive behaviours and lost all interest and motivation for life.” 

“Basic tasks at work became incredibly difficult and I ultimately lost my job due to my rapidly declining performance. I became numb and detached from reality, living in perpetual fear of seeing him again.” 

Terrible thing.

That's the part that's really an insult.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ya get fook all if it was vise versa. And id say a very hostile reception. Living in direct provision even if it was provided would be the least of your troubles. Not that its anyway right by these boyos

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

You’ve summed up what is all wrong with society here.

It's an unbearable suffering and I hope she has lots of supports in place, ditto for the poor man in the opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

Eh, we have to take in people who claim asylum (and then chuck them out if it's bogus). It's international law.

The issue is government being soft on the chucking out bit in the past. Plus the war in Ukraine fecked up the accommodation for IP seekers.

Our own dregs in society are now competing with some genuine, but apparently mostly disingenuous, international protection seekers, for limited accommodation. Tis probably easier for the long term unemployed / non working class to get off their holes and burn out accommodation or protest than consider working and have a goal of buying and paying for their own.

Free legal aid, light touch welfare enforcement, give away budgets to the non working... sure no wonder we're attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have to admit the attack on that woman had left me sick to my stomach. How could a piece of filth like him use his position in the Defence Forces to inflict so much pain and damage on his victim to allow her to nearly get beaten to a bloody pulp.

The sentence that he got for carrying out this attack from the courts point of view is a disgrace. He is a clear danger to women everywhere who live among us in our society. But not only that; it seems that he has a clear fetish to spread that level of hate to other people who are regarded as being different when talking about their own sexuality to other people who live among us in our country. And it's kind of ironic that we are talking about this attack during pride month as well which tells you a lot about the potential capability of this vile scumbag. He is also a clear danger to the LGBT community which should not be taken lightly.

He has no redeeming morals left within him at this point in his life. His moral compass is truly shot to pieces within the eyes of the Irish state. If he gets dismissed from his role in the Defence Forces in the near future. Not only it will tarnish him as a criminal; it will also regard him as a sore loser rather than a hero to anyone who lives in this country.

It will also send a message to anyone who either currently work in the Defence Forces or who want to join it as they get older that violence against women and other minorities is not becoming socially acceptable in this country any more.

That level of vile activity is vastly becoming a stale trait among our own scumbags. It becomes old real quick when society throws the book at you for conflating these attacks in the first place. If there was a huge reset of culture within the Irish Defences Forces following the outcome of this attack. I don't know how big of an effect it will have within the organisation.

But it will be a hell of a lot better than what we are dealing with at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Garlic man imported 1000 tonnes of garlic and made 1.6m from his scam. The army fella should have gotten locked up (hopefully it will if/when the sentence is appealed) but the bringing up of "garlic man" is a lazy soundbyte.

He perpetrated a rather hilarious form of tax fraud.

Entirely non-violent.

He got more time in Mountjoy than some psycho who engages in a wanton random attack of violence would.

Glad to see his initial sentence was reviewed:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garlic-smuggler-released-early-from-prison-1.1339440

Curious how he sourced the garlic though?

Obviously just liaised with a Chinese exporter and got to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What type of a sentence would you advocate for, say a person who had similarly "hilariously" and fraudulently deprived the State of 1.6m in a different format?

Say someone who brought in EU citizens to Ireland, got them to sign up for the dole, then shipped them back out but still kept collecting that dole for himself?

Slap on the wrist?

These "poor divils" got 4 years and 3 years (one year suspended) for their 183k scam. Why does nobody bring them up instead of Garlic Man?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-men-jailed-over-claiming-e183000-in-pup-cyber-scam-1211600.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Mod Snip - This matter is currently before the courts and cannot be discussed until legal proceedings have concluded

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

She seems to have made a good recovery to be fair. Seems to have become an advocate for the passing of new laws.

Advertisement