Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Should be getting the bus from Bristol this time next week to join up with the Avalon bar crew. Looking forward to being on site before the gates are open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Wooderson

No, funny enough the Avalon Inn isn't one of the bars run by Avalon!

There's about 12 different bars they run. Won't know which one I'm in, or my schedule til I get there. Haven't really got any 'must see' acts, so not too pushed what hours I get. From what I gather it'll likely be Wednesday or Thursday and I'll get one of the main days off. So three 8 hour shifts total.

Don't think i've a single must see this year tbh which is a first for me. Best of luck with the bar(s) and shifts you work in mate. I'd say earplugs essential kit for your shift regardless.

Cheers! Yeah, there's plenty I'd like to see, so no problems there, but wouldn't be heartbroken to miss anyone. Probably just as well really.

Looking forward to it.. Hopefully my feet will hold up to 24 hours behind a bar in addition to the miles you'd clock up at the festival normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Is there a secret 'Boards' code word we can shout to get some free beers at these bars?! ;)

Heading off next Wednesday and can't wait - first time there and the weather is (hopefully) looking decent.

Re the lineup, I think the headliners are weak enough but the undercard is great and the late night stuff is better again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Id love to experience it for the first time again.

Don't get too fussed about the music. Go explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Also a first timer, excitement is really getting me now to the point every day in work is a challenge! Only 5 left until I'm off however.

One area the more experienced Glasto goers might be able to help with - the packing. Was originally planning on getting the ferry/car but in the end we've decided to fly into Bristol and get a coach to the festival. Space in the bag is at a premium. Obviously weather forecast plays a big part in what I bring. Do ye usually leave it until the Tuesday night to pack away the gear? Won't have the luxury of leaving wellies, dry clothes etc in the car as I do with most Irish festivals.

Really don't want to bring boots or wellies if I can avoid it.

Only been once before myself in 2022. Made a last minute decision to leave the wellies at home - which worked out well as it was glorious sunshine all weekend. Not sure what to do this year. Efestivals forum has a weather thread which is probably worth keeping an eye on to help you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭rubick

Lightweight waterproof hiking boots are the way to go. Wellies a disaster unless you are used to wearing them. If it gets muddy, it's deep sticky stuff so wellies will come off if you haven't the correct socks on. It won't be wet anyway. Pack a poncho for larger showers (again, probably not needed) and that should be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Aer Lingus work to rule starts next Wednesday when I’m supposed to fly! Hopefully they don’t cancel my flight.

Anyone who doesnt bring really good waterproof footwear to Glasters is a fool. That is all.

Current forecast looks appalling.

I fell asleep under the shadow of (what is now) Woodsies tent for a blissful 90 minute kip on the Thursday afternoon in 2005. Warm breeze. Blue sky. 12 hours later that spot was 18 inches of fondue mud.

You can't ever trust Worthy Farm weather forecasts. Trust me. Pretend youre going to the Arctic. Waterproof footwear and sunglasses/hat. Both essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The forecast is almost perfect.

Dry, cool and mixture of sun and clouds.

Small chance of scattered showers.

If it's to Bristol apparently that's regional and not affected…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dont pay attention to the forecasts until Sunday at the earliest. Research some fun/music instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

BBC Countryfile weekly forecast on Sunday evening is the best one.

A sudden downpour can f8ck the site so putting high value on forecasts make no sense until Monday or Tuesday of next week. There have been years when we knew it was going to be great (2010) and other years we knew it was going to be abysmal (2016) by this stage. Next week is still subject to huge change sadly. It could be wonderful, or awful. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

OK decent waterproof hiking boots on the shopping list for this weekend! Trespass or Decathlon surely sort me out? Will breaking them in, in such a short time be an issue?

Have a pair of boots but they are more work boots that weigh a ton.

A decent poncho and rain jacket on the list too but aside from that not much else we can do other than hope the weather isn't shite.

• Advertisement

Good plan mate. Once you're prepped the weekend will be incredible. Bringing home unused waterproofs a brilliant feeling. In 15 visits that has happened for me once.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0618/1455288-aer-lingus/

"Aer Lingus Regional flights from Dublin will not be impacted by any potential industrial action, as these services are operated by an external provider."

Got an email from AL earlier on it too - flight going ahead as planned

I'm on my second pair of Adidas Terrex hiking boots, lightweight and waterproof - minimal breaking in time. If you shop about online you should be able to source a pair with a discount. Only issue might be delivery times. Not sure if Decathlon etc. would have them but they should do. Adidas website currently offering up to 50% off across the store. Combine with a good pair of hiking socks and you're golden.

https://www.adidas.co.uk/eastrail-2.0-mid-rain.rdy-hiking-shoes/GY4174.html

Also (and I know I shouldn't do this) but The Weather Thread on efestivals is f*cking grim reading lads. :/

Yeah. Its not looking good. On a year when the line up is meh I was really hoping against hope for a dry weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I was looking at dates for next year and if it's the weekend I think it will be then it would be the first year I could possibly go. What is the % chance roughly of getting a ticket. 10%? Less?

Next year is 25-29th June. Odds on getting a ticket are tiny via the main sale. Higher if you factor in re-sale and/or volunteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I said to to one of my group: "This year is a chair year" Chilling in a chair at The Acoustic or Woodsies or wherever. Can't see myself doing a Macca and standing between the front of the soundstages for 6 hours for Dua Lipa.

Fingers crossed its at least partially dry. Don't want the rain but don't want DA HEA-H of the last couple of years (I know, first world problems and all…)

Enjoy yourselves folks. Especially the first timers. I know the headliners aren't great and it sounds a little like I'm reaching but there is something to be said for NOT having Coldplay, Beyonce and U2 headlining. You'll get to see more and won't be stuck to the main stages.

This "Chair Year" thing could be just the ticket. I will prolly be in the Bimble Inn or the Cockmill Arms for the 5 days. If its anything like 2016 its my last ever visit to Worthy Farm. Fyck that.

• Advertisement

You guys have very short memories and I thought ye’d know better by now. At this point in 2022 all weather forecasts were dire and it was a scorcher that year. Forget about forecasts until Sunday.

Advertisement