Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

see a couple of lads in the group that wouldnt be well set up for feeding silage in spring time suffering now aswell. would that have anything to do with drop in milk yield now. cows not getting a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Solohead research farm bought in over 400 bales for last winter and were zero grazing some of their first cut only a couple of weeks ago,so they are in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

17.5 litres in the month of June.. christ.. today longest day of year.. cows should be pumping milk…

did ya venture up the road to the farmwalk or i think they called it a 'clover workshop' the other evening…?? they got a nice evening for it… it was with deep regret that i wasnt able to make it myself..

was talking to a dairy farmer/ai straws sales rep last week.. he was putting up a fence for cows when i rang.. very quickly he started talking bout clover.. said this paddock he was in had a heap of clover stitched in couple years ago.. he is now spreading little fert on it and he basically said his paddock is now all clover and weeds and little grass… he not too happy bout it…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭straight

Are the upcoming clover workshops being cancelled so I wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Is it that big a disaster in Moorepark? If they're growing 13t isn't that success according to the 80:20 rule? And this a bad year for clover. The other 3t is low margin feed, without counting the costs of the extra pollution, and everyone would say that its as cheap to buy bales as make them.

The problems including the 17.5l could be down to overstocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Is it not feeding the cows? The clover should be (usually) self-limiting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

lot of those research farms etc you know things are bad if there admitting to things been that bad now ….truth there probably worse ….remember few years ago pre Moore park open day there was videos floating around of students going around pulling and cutting docks so place would look well on the open day 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭stanflt

I think the above post show the true colours of our education in the dairy industry- being pushed down a road with no regard for actual farm profits at the end of the day

my autumn calving cows who are nearly ready to go dry are still pumping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭green daries

They couldn't care less they saw a system in new Zealand 30 years ago atcthis stage where students and drifters and migrant labour would milk huge numbers of cows for f all hassle free etc they ran with that here and the first casualties were the higher yeiding cow cos they weren't able to look after them In that type of as system .......its going to be a problem going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

the 13t isn’t this year it’s consistently for the last few years that they’ve less tonnes of grass grown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Once the cows got used to the taste of it, they made short work of it. Cows are tipping along at 23.5L/day, don't know what the MS is. Getting 3.6kg of meal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭stanflt

what we were sold about New Zealand isn’t what actually goes on over there- all the low input systems in the north island actually grow maize to supplement during the grazing season when grass is plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

But I have a more Important question, my radio headphones I use for milking are broken. To be honest I won't replace them.

What are people using in the parlor these days, might wire up a speaker.

It's a very important question as I can't spend three hours a day talking to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭ginger22

No don't go to those BS events. Better ways to spend my time. Ye all know how I feel about clover. Its an easy job to go out with the sprayer and spray on the urea.

There appears to be a lot of bare patches in it. What is the plan when the chicory and plantain die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I bought a cheap radio in power city €25 I think.it sort of self tunes some days, last week it was tuning itself into pride vibes and some bbc news station

2 of my autumn calves are giving over 30 litres, not sure wether to milk once a day for a few days and dry ir just abruptly dry them off. Flies and summer mastitis be my fear

ICMSA say Tirlan redundancies “just the beginning” as dairy sector “shrinking before our eyes”

Reacting to the announcement of a round of voluntary redundancies at Tirlan - the State’s largest milk processor - ICMSA President Denis Drennan said that he feared it was “just the beginning” of a massive restructuring of our dairy sector due primarily to current Government policy.

Mr. Drennan said that our dairy sector – the one indigenous sector in which Ireland led the world – is now shrinking before our eyes as deliberately depressive policies and regulations were piled on low prices and high inputs prices.   He described as “delusional” the idea that the sector could experience the kind of collapse in investment, income and volumes it was now undergoing without having a negative multiplier on the wider rural economy all over the State but most particularly in Munster and South Leinster.

“The 150 redundancies that Tirlan are seeking may be just the beginning of a wider sector restructuring; we are in danger of entering a period of decline of the sector that more than any other provided prosperity and economic prospects to rural areas all across the State.   The tragedy – and in time it will be judged as exactly that – is that it was perfectly possible to move smoothly towards our environmental targets while preserving our world-leading dairy sector and the rural economic bulwark it represents.   ICMSA has on numerous occasions outlined how and why we should do that”, said Mr. Drennan.

“Instead, the Government and EU have decided on a crude policy aimed at just regulating dairy farmers out of existence at the prompting of a chorus of self-appointed and self-important so-called eco ‘activists’ and commentators.  There’s no point in the Government denying that this has not been the policy; the evidence is all around us in the crashing income and plunging volumes of production.  It's also to be seen in the empty order books of rural companies and contractors as the ''milk multiplier' works negatively in reverse. The job losses have now begun and the ‘hollowing-out’ of the rural economy will now pick up pace with the attendant social and demographic changes that will bring”, said Mr. Drennan, himself a Tirlan supplier.

Ends 20 June 2024

Denis Drennan, 086-8389401

President, ICMSA.

Or

Cathal MacCarthy, 087-6168758

ICMSA press Office

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

Cheap Bluetooth headphones here. Haven't listened to radio in 2 years. This way I can choose what I listen to not have some poultice of a presenter imposed on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,522 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"Milk processing capability will remain unchanged"

Translation - "we were unnecessarily paying 150 gobsh1tes to lounge around luxury staff facilities while trying to screw the farmer for an extra cent or two per litre"

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

the “white gold” was indefinite and the co-ops thought they would get it for nothing forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

It's a stubble turnip called Skyfall. I'll reseed that field I August, September. I wanted to try something different in a field just to see how it goes.

@older by the day I have a pair of after shockz headphones, they're a great job as you can hear stuff going on in the parlor too

How many people do tirlan employ? While 150 redundancies is welcome, I feel it could have been more

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gman1987

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grass Growth is down 40% compared to recent years across the board - nout to do with clover cos figures show Nitrogen hungry PRG monocultures at Lyons are suffering just as much from the recent low temps and dry winds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

Watery slurry/ parlour washings out today and yesterday at 2200 gallons/acre. Would it be too much of a chance to throw out sulfacan in the morning ahead of the rain?

Work away. Worst case is you will lose a bit of nitrogen

• Advertisement

There's som poetry in that. I like this sucker punch.….

Instead, the Government and EU have decided on a crude policy aimed at just regulating dairy farmers out of existence at the prompting of a chorus of self-appointed and self-important so-called eco ‘activists’ and commentators.

Advertisement