Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

See i knew you knew the answer to your question before you asked it

Its like you have asked it before

You also need to fact that the defecit is ever growing, as that is 2 years old

And by the time you might realistically get the numbers up to say even 50k it could be 10 years

You could even calc the figures yourself with a calculator

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭hometruths

I don't know how much the assumed deficit has grown by since 2022, if indeed it has. Yes of course you could calculate it if you knew both the increase in housing stock and the increase in population.

But we don't need to worry, no doubt the government etc are aware of these figures and can do the calculations.

You could calculate it with a calculator

De guberment have the same figures available to you

There is a deficit, year on year, so it has grown, will keep growing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Timing belt

you’re talking to someone who claimed there was no housing crisis and that predicted really low immigration after covid which would result in an oversupply of houses….

why provide oxygen just so the same points can be raised in a slightly different way without using certain words that have been banned due to being talked to death in here.

If you cant tell i know who they arent and am only stopping doing harm in the real world then i dont know what to say

• Advertisement

There's no doubt my post covid low immigration prediction was way off the mark. It was about as accurate as your post covid predictions on inflation and interest rates.

Hindsight shows us that immigration led to one of the highest incidents of population growth every recorded of any country in history. Fair play to you if you saw that coming.

Of course the population growth will be very helpful in mitigating any risk of oversupply. That's a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

https://x.com/DeptHousingIRL/status/1803721539101106236

1k p/m for a studio in tallaght "cost rental" . this is fine etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Another challenge would be to find a pandemic in history that was followed by a shortage of housing. Was anyone in 1350 in England struggling to find a field to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Agreed but I think the population estimates are possibly correct.

5.9 million by 2030, rather than the 5.35 million target, which we have already breached, 6 years early.

85k homes annually is unrealistic, but 45k to 50k homes a year wont be enough to manage population growth of 70kish people per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭DataDude

Why makes you say that? I think European average is 2.2 per household? So 50k houses would theoretically cater to 110k extra people.

Of course you need to allow for obsolescence and I understand projections generally assume the stock needs to absorb the existing population spanning into more houses as average size falls. But I’m not sure how solid a handle we have on those two factors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

taking the middle option of a 6.75 million population and 2.2 persons per household we need to build 1,346,800 affordable houses here in about 25 years, looks like it is long past time to get the finger out

as to who pays for all these abodes for the extra 1.5 million people, well that's another matter.......

The price/cost won't be a problem as everybody will have a load of extra cash because from those projections it looks like most people won't be having any children.

If the majority of the population are single or childless couples there will be plenty more money sloshing around to spend on houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If the majority of the population are childless we will have to increase taxes significantly to cover pensions, so there's no real savings to be made.

No such thing as a free lunch - someone has to pay pensions for an aging population. If you don't have children to pay for it, then you pay out of your own pocket directly.

Good point, not sure how it would work in practice.

I was sort of assuming that if we have a population of 7m, with proportionally less children, then presumably the children will be replaced by proportionally more adult tax payers.

The thinking is that we will converge with the Euro average, and they seem to get along swimmingly with this arrangement, so perhaps the change in demographics means our tax rate will converge with the euro average as well, might even see our taxes go down! Hurrah!

you can have the same fertility rate and yet a reduced house formation size. Your assumption is both parents live together which is not necessarily always the case.

Correct, not always the case - about 15% of children live in a single parent household.

But if our fertility remains the same the majority of couples who have children will continue to have at least two or more children.

So even if the parents live apart the same fertility rate will struggle to generate more 1 or 2 person households than 3 person households.

The only way to converge with European averages of household size is to also move closer to European average fertility rates.

Unless you know of another way?

Do working families have more, less or equal amounts of children vs non-working families? Non working families would mean neither parent works.

As the cost increases to raise a family, i would expect that working families will have fewer children, not more.

I don't know to be honest, but probably non working families have more children I'd guess.

The projections are based on everybody having fewer children, so yes definitely you'd expect working families to have fewer children.

But in order to have a majority of 1 and 2 person households it seems likely the majority of couples will have to go from having 2 children to having no children.

Assuming the majority of parents continue to stay together, a one child family is a three person household. You obviously cannot have 0.2 of a child.

They are accounting for the deficit that already exists and that by 2030, we would be 10% above the National Planning Strategy in terms of population. 5.9 million vs the plan of 5.3 million, which we have already exceeded.

Also, ireland's average household size is 2.6 persons; Way above average for europe, due to the fact that over 85% of our housing stock is actual houses, rather than apartments.

Apartments only seem to get built in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Oddly, to calculate the deficit they used average household size of 2.4, not the actual household size.

A positive was they recommended that future building prioritised 1 and 2 person units rather than 3 bed

well to use the actual wouldn’t be an accurate way to calculate demand as actual will include all the people living at home trying to find a place to buy but can’t because of the lack of supply. To use the actual you would be underestimating what is needed.

Obviously they weren't trying to calculate demand as in market demand, people trying to find a place to buy etc, they were specifically trying to calculate the deficit in the housing stock required to accommodate housing need for the population as at April 2022.

They stress this repeatedly eg:

Base housing policy on an assessment of the housing required for a well-functioning society.
    This should not be conflated with market demand or construction sector capacity.

So they have ignored how many houses are required based on the actual average household size of 2.74, and instead calculated how many houses are required for an assumed preferred household size of 2.4.

The assumption obviously is that an average of household size of 2.74 does not make for a well-functioning society.

You're correct that much of the assumption rests on the fact that there are elevated numbers of adults living with their parents, but given our demographics, it would also appear to suggest that in this presumed well functioning society of 2.4 AHS, that a large proportion of those people with 2 or more children under 18 would prefer to have had less children, or that they would prefer not to live with them.

That seems a stretch to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭alias no.9

£200 to £250 was the going rate for a small single room in a decent house in Galway in 1999, back when you had to queue on Church Lane outside the Galway Advertiser offices to get a copy of the list of rooms available adds at lunchtime on Thursday before the paper even went to print.

Rent has definitely outpaced general inflation but your €300pm in 2015 would have represented stagnation for a decade and a half so I'm not surprised it went up quickly as soon as it could.

Post edited by alias no.9 on

Yeah separated parents choose not to live with there kids…that’s why the family courts have so much capacity and totally back up your opinion….. Ireland is no longer like Glenroe maybe you haven’t noticed.

Eh? I've no idea what you're getting at, but whatever it is you've got the wrong end of the stick, and if that's my fault for phrasing something badly, apologies.

I'm certainly not suggesting Ireland is like Glenroe, no idea where you got that idea.

Yes. But the problem is that apartments are just not wanted, nor are they cost effective, in large parts of rural ireland.

Its had to see apartments taking hold outside of the cities, therefore 3 bed houses etc will still be supplied I expect.

Local govt in Dublin apprently looking to increase property tax from 2025, after the GE.

Will Dublin see any tangible benefit to the increased tax or simply lose the central funding of services as an offset?

I am going to go with the latter.

I expect you're right. We will indeed continue to build more 3 bed houses than apartments.

But it makes a mockery of the entire thing. The whole 235k deficit thesis is predicated on the underlying household size being 2.4 - i.e there are far too many people who are currently living in households of 3 or more who would prefer to live households of 1 and 2.

That's a flimsy enough thesis as it stands, but building 3 bed houses for that mystery demographic takes us to a whole new level of lunacy.

Post edited by hometruths on

• Advertisement

Conor Skehan again refusing to toe the line in today's Indo:

As with the previous property crash, over‑supply is again being driven by the ever-increasing predictions of demand emanating from property sector boosters.

These distorting effects will be revealed at the same time that the failure of excessive government interventions become apparent.

So what does a slow puncture look like?

Housing becomes a mixture of unaffordable inner-city rentals, unwanted suburban apartment developments and growing numbers of ever-more distant commuter settlements.

In the larger centres, prices will stagnate as supply overshoots and demand is diluted.

Prices in suburban areas will stabilise — or stagnate, depending on your perspective — with many retirees finding themselves unable to afford to downsize and unwilling to share with the next generation.

Offered a choice between a crash and a slow puncture, the drama of a quick, if painful, collision with reality at least offers the hope of galvanising us into effective action.

Slow punctures emerge gradually — unnoticed and often denied until it is too late.

And this makes the causes more difficult to fix. Few heeded the warning of the 2007 crash; nobody even cares about the threat of a puncture.

Not the first time, he is raising a warning flag about the threat of oversupply if the highest numbers bandied about are built out. I suspect he'll be lambasted for daring to voice such an opinion, people will immediately dismiss his thoughts because he is an unpopular and divisive character, long before they pause to consider whether or not there is any merit in his warnings.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/conor-skehan-house-prices-will-fall-but-is-a-slow-puncture-better-than-a-crash/a1088459636.html

Advertisement