Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Donald Sutherland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah no :( one of the greats.

The ending to Don't Look Now is still one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RIP a true Hollywood Legend

The original Hawkeye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

Always be oddball to me! I didn't know stoner's existed as a kid , he was the first I seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

One of the earliest movies I can remember watching, on TV. Long been a favourite of mine. "Eatin cheese an drinking wine, woof woof"

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Manc-Red_

A man that could nail that interesting guy with a brain in any flick he was in. Loved his moment in JFK.

RIP

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Ah no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

78 remake of Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers was another iconic role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Great actor.

Eye of The Needle and Don't Look Now are two of my all time favourite films.

He was brilliant at playing a real sleazebag character, had a great devilish smile.

I must watch The Eagle Has Landed sometime, I refused to watch it because I loved the book so much and didn't want to ruin my view of it but maybe I need to finally give it a watch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Angeleena

I was a kid when I saw this on TV for the first time. His character pointing and yelling in that weird way scared the hell out of me.

He was an incredible actor. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

A brilliant actor.

Rest in Peace, Donald.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sad to hear this, one of the greats. R.I.P.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The man had many legendary roles, though will never be able to unsee or forget that all-timer final shot in Body Snatchers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Came here to namedrop Kelly's Heroes and Invasion of the Body Snatchers but ye got there ahead of me. Absolutely iconic roles in a crazy career full of great roles, but the former stuck out cos it was such an oddball turn growing up on TV flooded with ww2 flicks; while Invasion was just such a great movie before that iconic shot came along; he was a star with that X Factor.

Had Don't Look Now queued up in my watchlist so I guess I really have to watch it now, in his honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

He did a great job playing Agar in The First Great Train Robbery with the late Sean Connery alongside him.

I must rewatch that movie again as a great tribute to him soon. R.I.P. Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

He had his own style, wonderful voice too

Was good in the Simpsons episode about Jebidiah Springfield too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Certainly one of my absolute favourites of all time. Will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Such a diverse career. From Animal House to Kelly's Heroes to real sinister and unlikeable characters. Much like Kirk Douglas, he didn't mind playing diverse roles that might have alienated audiences even when his career solidified. Takes balls.

Kiefer's gonna go on some bender tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Iconic Actor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RIP. kelly's heroes is one of my favorite movies of all time and donald stole the show. woof woof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As mentioned in the general RIP thread... last thing I saw him in was the American War of Independence epic Revolution. Film was a mess but you couldnt take your eyes off him as a British officer.

He bestrode it like something out of Greek myth, Achilles in the midst of the Trojan War, a formidable force of nature.

RIP.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think his voice, I remember distinctly in certain roles

A great actor

A Time to Kill which I rewatched recently he was very good in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Cloudbusting by Kate Bush. A music genius and Donald Sutherland in a video together - pure magic.

RIP Mr. Sutherland, one of the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

An addition to the list of fine, late Canadian actors, joining the likes of Raymond Massey, Hume Cronyn, Alexander Knox, Christopher Plummer, Joseph Wiseman, John Colicos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ordinary People as the father, he was very good in too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

He scared the living sh!t out of me in Backdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still haven't seen The Hunger Games he was epic in Outbreak him and Keifer both in A Time to Kill were outstanding will be missed for sure RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭LetticebCivil

He really was one of the greatest at his profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That is sad news. I loved him in Kelly's Heroes. RIP

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Advertisement