Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

just listened to his link there as I'd a few minutes to kill between some calls..

100% Irish orientated (Mary flying from Dublin airport, Cork, GAA, Paul Mescal, GAA shorts, Mary again), voice (tone/volume) up and down like a yoyo, half finished sentences/words… an absolute mess….

oh and some interview he did with a Vicar..

"but don't worry if you missed it as it's on The Ryan Tubridy Show Podcast, which 'drops' on Friday at 1pm"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

to make things VERY clear, ButtersSuki, whom I know, and who was site-banned, has NEVER re-registered as Alzer100 or any other user handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭leath_dub

deleted - wrong thread

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

For a presenter and a radio station that is supposedly trying to improve their listenership figures - What did they do today? After 12:25pm they brought in one of The Times obituary editors and discussed death. A guest discussion which cascaded into a depressing extended link for Tubridy giving him opportunity to drop in Lee Harvey Oswald, question the editor about savoury and unsavoury obituaries and obituaries over shadowing other obituaries.

Oh Jesus, this is supposed to be a feel good radio station?

Virgin Radio UK AND it's presenters are receiving thousands of messages from the UK listener indicating that the show is utter tripe and they hate him and his only purpose on air is an attempt to appeal to an Irish audience which according to a Virgin Radio source - that is not working either.

It seems that the PD is asleep behind the controls of a runaway train at speed heading straight for a terminus station.

• Advertisement

Can't be a Tubs' show without a bitta death and/or cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Join me next week when I'll be hosting an outside broadcast from a funeral home. lol

"and the following week the roadshow takes the ferry across 'the pond' where we'll be broadcasting from Glasnevin Cemetery"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭yagan

Edging ever closer to grave edge of his career.…

Mentioned on his show that he will be coming home to his favourite listener (his Mammy) tomorrow

He's not really enjoying this London thing, is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

re EASONS - one Saturday morning I was in a branch of easons and they were playing the Tubridy podcast ad over the sound system.

An older very respectable looking lady let out a string of industrial strength expletives and loudly told the staff behind counter “God preserve us and save us - will ye turn off that feckin eejit!!!”

They complied with her wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

…and everybody applauded

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'd say he wants nothing more than to be back, having it good, like the old days.
    Maybe that's partly why he sounds almost manic in his delivery, in the odd clip I have heard here and there. Heard a tiny bit this morning, calling out names and saying not dead 🤷‍♀️

I'd actually say he thinks everything is going great.

I'd say he wakes up every morning wondering "where did it all go wrong?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Can’t imagine a millionaire with a public profile, a happy personal life, a UK wide prime radio slot, and a podcast is wondering where it all went wrong.

You’d imagine some of the people turning on the wireless to hate listen to his show might be thinking that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You know I am always slight reminded of Simon Dee in all of this, though Simon did head to LWT, and possibly has a more interesting story to tell. Actually there is probably little comparison to be made perhaps Tubs will be given more time.

Anyway we should really stop all this criticism and not reply. It's not good for the heart now is it.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Virgin Radio UK is not nationwide in coverage - the SDL covers 83% of the UK - the assistant PD is unable to hear it properly in his car, in his hometown and in the home counties.

The word from sources at Virgin is that they are unhappy with Tubridy and that he is on probation - if he doesn't improve ratings they will address it. But look, that's senior hurling.

….

I don't think many people here are bothering to turn on the radio to listen to him for long, Bobson. We're enjoying the soap opera and know that this experiment is going to end in tears for your golden boy. As for the rest of it…he's only a millionaire because RTE vastly overpaid him for years. His radio slot is far from the prestigious thing you say it is - and it looks like his audience figures are poor. The podcast isn't setting the world alight. Yeah, he's really doing well for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Exactly. The term "millionaire" ascribes certain traits to Tubridy that he doesn't deserve. Aside from lottery winners and those with hereditary wealth, most millionaires are smart, hard working, capable and impressive individuals. Tub's only discernible skill, as far as I can see, was his ability to schmooze the right people in RTE in order to get presenting roles he wasn't really suitable for and in concert with his agent, to get vastly overpaid year after year for the lightest workload he was able to get away with.

There is no doubt in my mind that he despises his current situation and wishes none of this happened. He doesn't want to be in London working for a relative pittance, dealing with staff and listeners who aren't Irish and who don't give a toss about floury spuds, creamy 99 cones, terminal illnesses or his close friendship with dead Irish A-list celebs. He just wants to wake up and find himself in Montrose, skipping out the door at 10am for a meeting with his accountant about new ways he can offset his huge tax liability.

• Advertisement

It's notable that none of his defenders have anything to say about his actual show. The comments are mostly along the lines of "Look how successful this man is, you jealous hate-listeners". We've all heard him on the radio and everybody is making much the same comments. Many of the comments are constructive criticisms. He would be in a far better place now if he had taken them on board. I bet if I was to replay that Gift Grub sketch from January, it'd be as relevant today was it was 6 months ago.

I’d say it’s almost a certainty too that Bryan himself had heard the giftgrup sketch…. And if not Bryan, King Noel would have heard it….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭RoTelly

This is interesting because someone was suggesting that 2FM should become a sport radio station, look at how low down sports are for radio listeners.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He just wants to wake up and find himself in Montrose, skipping out the door at 10am for a meeting with his accountant about new ways he can offset his huge tax liability.

Absolutely this.

The halcyon days of not actually working for a living. Putting in a few hours a day, for an astronomical salary. Everything prepared for him, he just had to wing his way through. Life was very good indeed.

Ain't greed a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

170k a year for a radio show is decent, but it’s not exactly spectacular either. I make almost that myself, and I don’t have to deal with people recognising me, abusing me online, or having to read about myself in the papers. You get paid for your profile and brand, and not always for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

I bet if you break it down Tubs at his peak was making more per hour than you though. He used to put in a short day. Long hols and time off whenever he wanted too. Handy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

And sometimes you get paid for the results you produce, a position Ryan is in for the first time in his life.

And i have to admit, the way he's gone about absolutely tanking the listening figures for the timeslot with his bizarre Oirish immersion heaters & Superquinn sausages paddywackery strategy on a UK show is incredibly impressive.

It's part of the new brand he's making for himself, alongside the shady underhand dealings/lying self-publicist thing he's got going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

His biggest problem is that he could not create a proper new brand for the new surroundings. Still suffocating under his half trick pony previous brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

the one from a few months back? Surely it’s time for a new one !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Post edited by Brian Scan on

Advertisement