Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A disgraceful sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭RonanG86

You'd hope the DPP will appeal the leniency of the sentence, even just on principle if it's a case that their advice is it'll be upheld.

If I were Micheál Martin, I'd be on the phone to the Chief of Staff right now demanding that the little scrote be dishonourably discharged. And if he wants to sue for wrongful dismissal, let him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

A real story would be a reasonable sentence being handed out for any violent offence in Ireland.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mykrodot

The irony of this story today.

Yesterday Helen McEntee announced the latest figures in domestic violence cases against women are at all time high!!!

What the hell is the point of announcing an all time high if the next day a man gets off for beating a strange women unconscious in the street, knowingly, deliberately , boasting about it.

The legal system and government she is part of is allowing someone like this walk free while the victim's life will never be the same. Shame on everyone involved in this scumbags defence, the judge and our Minister for Justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

"Violent scumbag gets the book thrown at him"

That would actually be headline worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

A vetted, military aged male in unprovoked attack on defenceless woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's bizarre to me this sentence. It leads me to question if the exact same circumstances happened but the guilty party was a solicitor or a doctor or worked in a call centre or was unemployed would it have altered the sentence? Sounds like it would.

I thought justice should be blind, no?

Hopefully this will be appealed by the DPP...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Notable that not one single politician has made a public comment on this injustice.

They'll wait and only when the pressure from the public really starts to build will any of them show some empathy towards the victim.

This story is not going to go away.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,516 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Politician's. Good f**king luck. Can't be calling out a poor auld member of the defence force's who nearly murdered a woman on the street. They could be their state driver in a few years time.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭JVince

The position of Commandant Paul Togher, is untenable and frankly he needs to resign.

To defend what simply is an utter scumbag if the highest order is an embarrassment for the Irish army.

I sincerely hope the DPP appeal this ridiculous sentence and Crotty is put behind bars where he belongs

It's very difficult for a government td to make a comment as you have to have separation of judiciary and state and it would be seen as interference.

But the DPP should come out and state their intention to appeal the leniency of the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭This is it

To be dismissed from Defence Forces. Hopefully there's more pressure and an appeal on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I see the same judge gave a suspended sentence to another piece of trash who beat up a homeless man in Limerick. Can’t seem to post a link. Aaron Holland is the name of the scumbag involved.
    Total disgrace.

The injustice is nothing to do with Paul Togher, he gave what we can only assume is truthful evidence the army has on file about Crotty.

If the evidence he gave can be contradicted by anyone then he is in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I agree but I think the same about victim impact statements which are the same emotive waffle really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Ming Flangan and some other no mark. Where the f**k is the Minister for Defence? Nowhere as usual. This is beyond the beyonds, even for a clown as incompetent as Martin.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Good news.

His superior who gave him the reference should be chucked out too.

He didn't have an option, he was doing his job.

He was there to hear the evidence and report back to senior officers, he obviously did his job well as the soldier is about to be dismissed from the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

don’t usually comment on things like this but this is astounding. So much wrong here. The army, the judge. Disgraceful.

As for victim impact statements, I’ve always thought they should be given after sentencing. Lack of justice has a huge impact on the victim. The gardai must be tearing their hair out at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Ah come on we wouldn't want the guy to suffer actual consequences for a brutal assault. What an upstanding lad to have in our army, not worried about such a violent person having access to guns.

The poster said not a single politician had commented..

A sitting and re-elected MEP and a sitting TD (since 2014) with I would argue a high profile both have.

I am sure more will in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is another thread full of people who do not seem to know what a reference is, usually it is Mickey Harte that is the subject of such threads.

A reference states who you know about a person from your dealings with them. It is not affected by events where you weren't there. If my neighbour ends up in court for killing his wife then I can state that I always found him pleasant and that he lent me his drill. That "reference" should not change whatever he is charged with, because I wasn't there and know nothing about whether he killed his wife or not. It is the business of the court to determine his guilt, not mine, the role that I have is in the process is to accurately state an account of my dealings with him. If I say that found him helpful then I should not be blackguarded on Boards because of something else that he did away from me.

That said, in this case the sentence was ridiculous and of course the lout should be dishonourably discharged from the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

From a prison worker - judges are been told not to jail anyone unless they have killed someone as there is no jail space ,presently the least bad inmate is released on temporary release ( forever really ) to allow in a new prisoner , all less serious prisoners have been released at this stage so you’d be realising a murderer or rapist to fit this fellow in jail …..until a couple of new prisons are built lots of dangerous people won’t be going to jail .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Address the cause, not the symptom. Legislate for higher minimum mandatory sentences and amend the constitution so that judges who refuse to impose them are dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Begs the question though. The reasoning given for suspending the sentence was because of the effect prison would have on his career as a soldier.

But if a conviction leads to dismissal anyway then that reasoning no longer applies.

So logically an appeal should have that reasoning removed?

Advertisement