Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

100%

a disgraceful act by a disgraceful “Judge”

These fuckwits aren’t living in the real world.
    I’ve just emailed womens aid to see if there will be any action/lobbying on this.
    That poor lady, that could easily have been my wife, my sister, my friend.
    This country is a mess. I’m apoplectic after reading this. Ive never bothered contacting TD’s or other local representatives about anything in the past.
    i intend to email each and every one of them in their appropriate areas of responsibility.
    Jesus we can’t let this stand .
    These morons handing out inappropriate sentences have to be removed from their duties before they do any more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Nobody gives a f**k about those lads and you know it. Where is the Minister for Defence? This is his remit, this is his outfit. Where the f**k is he? He's well able to criticise and condemn when an agenda doesn't suit him, so where is he now? Nowhere, which is very f**king telling. But yeah Paul Murphy and Ming will sort it out…….

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Absolute sickening read this. Dirty animal does that to a defenceless woman and a judge comes out with this. Making out he was doing the victim a favor. Really make your blood boil. This disgrace will not go away anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Scandalous from the judge and the soldiers superior

• Registered Users Posts: 32,516 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

But why give them a reference? If someone I know had seriously attacked someone or in the case of Mickey Harte was a sex attacker, I wouldn't be giving anyone a letter saying "ah they were grand with me" would you?

Especially if you knew they were definitely guilty, this guy literally pleaded guilty (only when the video proved he did it unprovoked).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

what do you expect the minister for defence to do, or say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SteM

Even if that's the case there is no reason for the judge to come out with guff like the defendant

"must be given credit" for pleading guilty to assault

despite denying it was his fault when he was questioned by gardai.

Then

Judge Tom O’Donnell wished Ms O’Brien well and asked her if she understood "the significance" of Crotty’s guilty plea in that it had eliminated the necessity for a trial which would have compounded her trauma

again the high and mighty judge talks down to the VICTIM. Would he have said the same thing to his wife or daughter if they were a victim getting home from court?

Post edited by SteM on

I'll f**king expect him to do exactly what he's been doing for the existence of his tenure in service of the Irish people and that woman who was nearly murdered on the street by a member of HIS defence force. NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Jesus, I'm fuming.

What a low life, miserable coward, attacking an innocent woman in the street and then fleeing when another man intervened.

Then tried to lie about it, and bragged about it on Snapchat.

The judge is also a bloody coward for not locking this animal up. And his army buddies who spoke up for him are a disgrace.

Shame on them all. 🤬

• Advertisement

Exactly. What sort person would stand up in court to give a character reference to a scumbag they know is guilty after doing what he did..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭Xander10

The words of the victim are moving.

She has been totally let down by the so called justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He wasn't there to give a personal reference, he was there as part of his job.

It was only by attending the case he could learn all the facts and report them back to his senior officers.

He stated in court that he was "exceptionally disappointed and surprised" at the evidence and "most disappointed as Crotty as a soldier is expected to keep people safe".

Crotty is about to be an ex soldier, so the man did his job.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

but you wanted to know where he is?

Do you think he should make a statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is an awful story. That soldier would be up on a murder charge if a passer by hadn't intervened to pull him off the young woman.

No character witness should have reduced that to a suspended sentence. Violent attacks like this need to have custodial sentences if only to protect the public from these violent criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He also bragged about it on social media.

"Two to put her down, two to put her out”

The judge deserves 4 of the best from a trained soldier for giving that sentence.

Yes he needs to make a statement. What do you think he should do? Keep his slithery head down until everybody forgets about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 blobbyblobbyblobby

Homophobic woman beater with obvious anger and violence issues painted as a valuable member of the armed forces. Is this the best we can do? What message does this send to vulnerable (and invulnerable) women and girls? Upset he's known in Limerick for hitting women, clearly only cares about himself. F*cking pathetic assessment by the judge, he was caught red handed and victim is supposed to be grateful he pleaded guilty. The whole country should feel insulted by this verdict in our name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I can't remember the last time I wrote to a politician, but my blood is boiling over this.

If anyone wants to copy/paste and mail Michael Martin,

micheal.martin@oireachtas.ie

Maybe enough will make him intervene and order a review into Crottys future in the army.

Dear Minister,

I'm sure you're aware of the recent court case involving the assault of young Limerick woman, Natasha O' Brien by a soldier serving in the Irish army, Cathal Crotty.
    A vicious, unprovoked attack that left the victim unconscious, leaving her with serious injuries and long lasting emotional trauma.
    You might expect that such a crime, which Crotty was found guilty of would lead to a lengthy imprisonment and dishonourable discharge from the armed services.

But no. A suspended sentence was deemed enough by the trial judge, Tom O’Donnell and Crotty is to be welcomed back into Sarfields barracks in Limerick after a glowing reference from his commanding officer Commandant Paul Togher.

I can only hope that the DPP will be appealing this laughable sentence, but I sincerely hope that you as the Minister for Defence will intervene to ensure that Crotty is drilled out of the army. He is a disgrace to his uniform and shames the brave men and women who serve alongside him.

Yours sincerely,

This won’t go away. That judge is a thundering disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

So judge and boss wanted him to continue to be entrusted with professional use of firearms, maybe carrying out peacekeeping (ahem!) duties…my mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mykrodot

3 men arrested today for protesting outside the house of Simon Harris. Tonight they are free

1 soldier in court today for the brutal attack on a woman in the street, leaving her unconscious and needing months of hospital treatment…. then going online to boast about it. Tonight he is free.

So is there no difference in their behaviour, is there no difference in their crime? Because the consequeces are identical. Shameful. I am so angry!!! Judge gives him "credit" for pleading guilty!!

He literally said the below as well which you left out.... while giving evidence he described him in glowing terms. No doubt this helped with the lightness of the sentence. I am sure he could attend without doing that no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mykrodot

he is being dismissed from his post in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am sick of reading about inappropriate sentences. That poor woman was traumatised and ended up losing her job.

I bet if the niece or daughter of a member of judiciary was attacked in this manner there would be no suspended sentence. I really hope lenient sentencing becomes an election issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Most definitely not true.

He didn't just get asked.that day for a reference, he would have supplied it before the.court date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The reference is indeed saying "they were grand with me", that is truthful and makes no claim about their guilt or innocence in the case. If the court takes references, then it should not be up to you to judge the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,246 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

in terms of the civil machinations of and running of this country…. It’s an absolute basket case of a place nowadays, it really is a mental kip.

• Advertisement

He didn't have to give the reference! Is my point it's not mandatory. The glowing reference helped him ffs, it isn't that complex.

Advertisement