Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foynes Line

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The new Deel River bridge being placed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That rail line only closed in about 2000, I think. It amazes me how much intrusive work is required to bring a closed railway back into use. I suppose a lot of it is because they can't simply reopen it as it was with 19th century standards; it has to conform to modern standards so it's easier to completely rebuild the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

We are fortunate to have Dronehawk and others bringing projects like this alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

only 1km from the rail line. A shame a siding couldn’t be cut into the line to facilitate a Ballina style loading arrangement. They are going to be moving a lot of soil - almost 200,000 tonnes! - which means a lot of extra road wear and tear. The traffic management plan page indicates truck movements will reach 40 per day during this month.

https://rocheclarecastle.ie/project-phases/remediation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

interesting one for the golfing set re Adare. Maybe the wee ball hitters should have clubbed together to preserve the Belmond set here? :)

https://railroad.net/2024-us-open-service-pinehurst-sc-over-the-acwr-aberdeen-carolina-and-western-railway-t176927.html

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I've read back over the thread and I think I can summarise as follows:

1. Line should be operational some time in 2025
    2. There will be no passenger services once line operational
    3. No customer for freight services in place yet

Do I understand this correctly?

Correct on points 2 & 3.

Regarding point 1, the current work is "Phase 1" of the project, which is largely about laying the track and all associated works. In the following press release (May 2024) Iarnrod Eireann said the following "Phase two of the project will include the provision of a signalling system for the route, CCTV level crossings, train communications system and track connections and upgrades at Limerick and at Foynes Port. Subject to funding allocation for phase two it is expected that this work will take 18 months to complete. It is anticipated that the route will be ready for operations in December 2025 with freight services commencing in early 2026."

The big variable here is "Subject to funding" - 2026 is achievable but they would want to getting a move on. There is also the question of the provision of rolling stock.

Press release here:

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/track-laying-begins-on-new-foynes-rail-freight-lin

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

@Hibernicis

Thank you, so it's probably two years out from being operational.

Does IÉ or anyone else have plans to purchase rolling stock?

If there is demand for bulk freight at Foynes where would it be loaded/unloaded at the other end?

Iarnrod Eireann’s current freight operations and rolling stock are very very limited. These pages will give you a flavour for what remains, much of the freight rolling stock dumped on sidings: https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/about-us/iarnrod-eireann-fleet/freight-fleet and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_freight_stock_of_Ireland

To answer your questions in turn:

1. I would say given the number of different things that have to fall into place, two years could well be viewed as optimistic.
    2. IE invited expressions of interest from suppliers of freight rolling stock in 2022, which mentioned 400 wagons. https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/207672/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE This was followed by an invitation to tender last year inviting bids for somebody to advise IE on procuring freight rolling stock (an admission that either they have deskilled to the point where they are no longer capable of managing the procurement of freight flats, or too lazy to bother doing so). I don’t believe that this has advanced much in the interim but I may have missed something. Also important to bear in mind that certain types of bulk freight would require specific rolling stock (e.g. in the past there were specific assets require for handling and transporting bulk cement and also ammonia on its trips through the city centres)
    3. $64,000 question. No contracts are in place, and there doesn’t appear to be any specific focus or direction. Without knowing what bulk freight is going to be transported, and for what clients, it’s impossible to say where it will be unloaded or what facilities will be required. It appears to be very much a case of “build it and they will come”. Which of course is complete nonsense and a daft way to approach infrastructure. There is a considerable amount of bulk freight passing through Foynes at present. It’s anybody’s guess as to how much of this will transfer to rail and what will be involved in making this happen. Personally, I find it difficult to see much happening without major policy changes and intervention. This is part of the legacy of waste foisted on us by the soon to be ex-minister for transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was never viable as a passenger option, even if it had access to Colbert Station. Total urban population along the line is probably less than 10k. Two of the old railway stations are a distance from the town center in Rathkeale and Askeaton. In the case of Rathkeale the station on the Foynes line was not the orginal Railway station that is part of the greenaway now.

The case for commercial freight is similarly very poor. Its commercially unviable to to unload onto a train to send commercial freight distances of sub 200km. If you have to.put it on a truck for any of that journey it is more viable to leave it on the truck. That is both for haulage to and from the port.

The final cost will be in the 2-300 million euro bracket. The only train for passengers will be for the champagne opening, it actually might be the only train passenger or commercial that ever goes on the line.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would not call myself an expert on freight, but I would have an amateur interest in ports, etc.

Foynes has 400-450 ship arrivals over the last few years, that's say 8-9 per week.

5m to 7m tonnes per year.

That's more than Waterford.

Foynes has zero roll-on / roll-off.

Does Foynes deal with containers? It seems not at the moment, but there are plans?

https://www.sfpc.ie/containers/

Shannon Foynes seems to deal in liquid and dry bulk cargoes, like chemicals, coal, ores, fertilisers, etc.

The implication here is that these bulk cargoes must return to rail, in order for the railway line to be used?

Is that a reasonable statement?

With ore it is probably possible however its not really feasible with the rest as it would involve moving from ship to tran and then from train to wherever the . All coal for domestic use has to be further processed to become smokeless. There is several plants in Ireland and none are directly connected rail AFAIK. It similar with grain and fertlizer.

Slava Ukrainii

Well then why is the line being re-built?

Eamin needed a railway, every green leader needs a railway build while they arebin power

Slava Ukrainii

It has nothing to do with Eamonn Ryan. The plan was in motion before he came into office. SFPC commissioned IE to do a feasibility study into reopening the line in 2014 and detailed design was done by 2019.

It's also mentioned in IEs 2040 rail freight strategy and Ten-T also requires all core ports to be connected to the rail network.

The Robertstown Viaduct has been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not made with hands

There was to be a smokeless coal plant built in Foynes. I don't know if it happened.

Ennis railway yard used be full of fertilizer brought in by road. I'm not sure if that's still the case. I always found that one ironic.

I'd imagine once it's built some freight flows will appear. Even if marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

The problem is that Irish rail no longer offers its liner service which was essentially a wagonload network, so marginal flows like the molasses that ran from Foynes to Mullingar and Longford would have to be a full block train to be viable..

There is also next to zero rolling stock available, so adding any new flows will incur a major up front investment..

Grain from Foynes to Gain feeds in Portlaoise and ore from Pallas green to Foynes for export are the two most likely flows IMO.. Timber from north Kerry to Waterford may be another possibility

• Advertisement

Unless they outsource a liner service. Let somebody else pay for the trains to operate and put mixed products on it.

But a lot of the infrastructure and wherewithal is gone.

Like Ennis for example you would need forklifts, drivers, yard marshals l, security and possibly covered warehousing.

And then as you said there's no rolling stock to move the goods.

You can't spin down to Mungret to load bagged cement anymore either.

Is GAIN feeds in Portlaoise directly connected to rail?

Ore from Pallasgreen? Is that the Galmoy mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Then the newspaper headlines "THE GHOST TRAIN" "300 MILLION SPENT ON AN EMPTY RAILWAY" "SILENT RUNNING: FOYNES A LINE WITH NO TRAINS"

Then the Ministerial breifing. "Rail is not as viable in Ireland as we hoped. So all future investment will be for more roads going forward. Sadly Foynes was a mistake and we have to live with it"

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BolloxChop

Well at least BAM aren't building it. Otherwise it would be the most expensive railway in the world, not finishing for 27 years and half the sleepers would be missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,058 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

those days are gone.

climate change means no more large scale road expansion.

people have woken up to the nonsense that has been peddled about rail by the media and government for decades and aren't buying it any more.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

GAIN feeds mill is right beside the former Portlaoise to Kilkenny line.. It received grain by rail from Dublin, Waterford and Foynes in the 90s and early 2000s..

No Galmoy is closed, Pallas green is a new prospect/mine

What I can't understand is why 75m is being spent without any guaranteed traffic on this re-built line?

If Portarlington to Athlone is ever re-doubled, we know there would be 20 trains each way per day, at least, and obvious benefits for speed, capacity, delays, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It has been posted several times in this thread - TEN-T EU requirement that certain tiers of ports must be connected to rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

is that the case even if there is no traffic for the rail line? Is Cork a TEN T port? No rail thereAFAIK ?

• Advertisement

Yet. A rail connection to Cork (and Marino Point) is listed as a goal in IEs Rail Freight 2040 strategy.

Advertisement