Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gary Ibbotson

Ah yes, don't know how I missed it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭RINO87

Al Gibbs mentioned on the poster/website for Friday...anyone know what stage? He played the Friday night at the first 3 ATN'S, great for a bit of 00's nostalgia!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Weather looking worse now for Friday, rain rain rain. At least the rest of the weekend should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Peesh89

Looking at YR the last few days, and this morning Friday looks like it's cleared up a lot more haha they're all just keeping us on our toes!

• Advertisement

Thanks! I really ought to follow the pages of the events I am actually going to 😬

The weather will do what the weather will do. I always find the thought of rain at a fest is actually worse than actually being in it. Jacket and hiking boots, be grand. Do hope it's dry enough for people putting up their tent tho. At least it's been dry all week so the ground should be the finest, and when it does rain the ground will hopefully soak a lot of it up pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ruanmcg

No worries man. JWY's style seems to me a bit of a mix of breaky/bassy sounds… Lot of broken beats and percussion heavy tracks, definitely quite different to the average house/techno 4 to the floor vibe. Her set had a kind of afrobeat vibe to it as well, it was early enough during the day when I saw her. Not sure if she is playing solo or B2B with another DJ as there were a couple of names under the Rathaus performance. I've never been to their parties but Rathaus seems like a cool collective, I reckon it will be a great buzz, think they have dancers and everything.

For other local DJ recs, sadly BTP doesn't have a great variety of genres. Most of the dance music is in the house/techno vein with a bit of disco a well. Mathman is one that stands out, he's been pushing UK sounds in Ireland for years like garage and jungle. Unfortunately he's playing at 1:30pm on the Saturday I think , I'll definitely be there though. Efa O'Neill normally plays a pretty diverse mix of tracks so she's definitely worth checking out. Chord Memory also seems to be playing on Friday, I've seen her before in town she played some class dubstepy/DnB stuff.

There was a DJ competition to win a slot where a lot of good young local DJs entered, the guy who won Cian Bolger should be pretty good, he's on at 5pm on Friday, think he plays like UK bassy stuff like bassline and grime. I know lot of very talented heads entered the comp and it was judged by some of the best in the scene so I expect his set to be quality.

Helena Hauff is one I'm really looking forward to, not Irish but she normally plays a lot of detroit style electro, that's like her main thing. Heavy as **** but also mad bouncy, she's a bit of a legend.

I'm sure you're familiar with Sunil Sharpe aka the King of Irish dance music but he's a must. Generally his sound is quite heavy and intense techno but I've seen him many times in different settings and he always delivers. He's one of the most respected vinyl techno DJs in Europe, and I reckon the best the Island has ever produced. Closing the tent on Saturday, it should go off.

Another tip for a non-local DJ set is Kelly Lee Owens. People are dissapointed she's playing a DJ set but I think it will be class. The only DJ set I've listened to of hers was fairly banging , mix of techno and breakbeats. I think she'll tear up the outside stage.

And yes I am buzzing for Mr. Holden, his current live performance and set up has been getting phenomenal reviews. Never seen him before myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Conor_OM

Do you guys reckon they'll be strict with bringing alcohol in to the festival itself? Like if I tried to be a bit sneaky and stashed some pouches in my tent or sleeping bag, would they bother checking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ive been to plenty of festivals and never once in my life have they been overly strict on the booze, bar maybe the odd EP. Obviously you can't account for an individual security guard laying down the law to the letter but typically you'll be fine unless you're absolutely taking the piss.

• Advertisement

you'd likely get away with it, first year i went they didn't even check our tickets, it's pretty lax to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭TenPicnics

Thank you for this post, I'm not going to BTP this year but hopefully will see some of those you mention another time and you've written a great guide for that. I'd just add that I'd never heard of Kelly Lee Owens before ATN last year but thought her set was really enjoyable and I'll definitely check her out again.

So what are people doing RE deposit return scheme? I guess I'm gonna have to fill up a few big bags of empty cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Van Doozy

I had 28 entrants for this. I pasted the list into a random name picker web app to select two. Congrats to the two winners @Peesh89 and @hold my beer (lol great name!!)

Drop me a PM before you come down to get your can cooling passes so I know ye're the real people and not some chancer.

We're also giving away passes over on our insta so if you missed this please feel free to enter that.

I'm off now to run around the place like a lunatic getting stuff ready. Chat to yiz over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Conor_OM

How much is the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Peesh89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fair play Peesh. I hope it's roasters at the weekend. It'll be like winning the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Who is taking the financial risk on this festival .. is it the estate owners … the Count and his wonderbra model?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

I’d be very interested to know where ticket sales have landed for the weekend

@RINO87 Al Gibbs confirmed at Club CuCu, 12.30-close on Friday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 CorkScot

Would anybody know of the best way currently to resell on a ticket for BTP? One of the lads has a family emergency, so he's out. I bought his ticket for him, so I am left with a spare as it stands. Toutless not taking new accounts from what I can see….

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

ticketswap is normally good. They are going for below face value though so you’d want to list it quite cheap to get it sold

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Just noticed Trojan Sound System are missing from stage times, there are still on the lineup poster. Was there a cancellation notification anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Landers11

3pm on Sunday at It's Our Time from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Landers11

2pm to 6pm tomorrow looking like the worst of the weather for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ruanmcg

They're on one of the smaller stages, maybe the Beyond the Plate one, I saw them there yesterday

Grand shur, get it over and done with good and early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

Hadn't planned on going to this but might get a ticket for this if can get one cheap tomorrow - seen at least 30 people selling tickets from around from 160-200 at the moment so hopefully will be a few going cheaper tomorrow, though sometimes people appear to just rather be stuck with them.

Buses appear to be from 3 arena? rather than the usual custom house quay.

How are these tickets being sold, is it eventbrite? prob an off putting aspect of risking buying off someone as ticketmaster transfer has become a guarantee.

sales through ticketbooth (for me anyway)

BTP only time I’ve bought from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What is the best app to use for stage times? Or its it best to just use their website? Also, any recommendations for the Saturday?

Heading down with the girlfriend so unfortunately I'll just be drinking for this but will still check out Richie Hawtin. But a techno gig will be a real eye opener for her.

Advertisement