Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Feel so sorry for that poor woman to go through all that and then be cast aside by the judge like a piece of trash because someone might lose their job. So belittling to her to say well he saved you having to go to trial when the prosecution had all the evidence for attempted murder as far as I'm concerned - beating her til she fell and then continuing to beat her. Should have been attempted manslaughter. Watched a UK program there a few days ago about one punch murderers and judges only allowed to give the max sentence which was only 4-5 years for ruining peoples lives

Sickening judgement from the judge but just one of the numerous judgements handed down constantly for the worst behaviour.
    Really needs to be minimum sentencing enforced in law (but oooh judges say they need to be allowed to rule independently, screw that, Nolan is an absolute shame on this country) and if we can't home the prisoners then build another bloody prison - simple - lack of space should not be an excuse for not locking up the depraved or rabid animals

• Registered Users Posts: 27 baxterooneydoody

Ss there any recourse for her to sue him civilly for damages, to be awarded 3 thousand for this is pitiful, 50 grand would hardy cover what she went through. Glad to see hes losing his job, hopefully he'll see jail time if the dpp appeals

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Babyreignbow

In a statement, Mr Martin said: "The establishment of this Tribunal of Inquiry, along with increased levels of investment, is another important step in the renewal of our Defence Forces as a rewarding career where every individual feels valued.

🤔

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I think the judge and the defence force management got this one badly wrong. There should be no place in the DF for this guy and he deserved a sentence. Fair play to the victim for standing up for herself and other victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,516 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Errr probably?

"Different sources available to the IRG-DF conclude that, at best, the Defence Forces barely tolerates women and, at its worst, verbally, physically, sexually and psychologically abuses women in its ranks.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

And the judge making a big deal of him pleading guilty, as if he's so gracious for doing so, and asking the woman if she knew how great it was that he was pleading guilty…of course he's going to plead guilty given all the evidence against him, some of it CCTV footage, and the repercussions for him of pleading not-guilty and then being found guilty, which would have been the case. WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

A prick of the highest order.

Now that his mug is all over the place, let's hope nothing bad happens to him.

The judge needs to answer some serious questions, then should be removed from his post.

Goes without saying but this will be before a competent judge ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 55,434 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The judge pretty much said “wtf is your problem, love? He pled guilty, didn’t he. Get over it. And be grateful for what I’m doing for ya here.” Lowlife!!!!

Timing is perfect. He may have escaped justice in a court of law but has become the poster child of the abusive behaviour within the defense forces. Hopefully every woman of honor will be exonerated because of his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Seán Clancy…"Since being appointed I have made it abundantly clear, there is no place for any form of abusive behaviour in the Defence Forces. We are working tirelessly to redesign our grievance procedures and HR policies, rolling out mandatory sexual ethics and respectful relationships workshops and holding people to account for misconduct and misbehaviour."

Crotty must have missed those workshops, considering he was shouting homophobic slurs in public and then viciously attacked a woman in the street, beating her unconscious.

I think the DPP will have to act here. This really is whipping up outrage. And if ever a fooking march was justified…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Absolute disgrace of a sentence or lack of one. There was no mitigating circumstances in this case. The writing was on the wall with the CCTV evidence. The guilty plea wasn’t due to some new found moral fortitude but a selfish attempt to save himself from a harsh sentence. Absolute vile human being. The judge I can’t comprehend, I haven’t been agitated by such a story in a long time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The process has begun to get rid of him, it seems, which is something at least.

Not often I'm speechless but I just can't believe that thug was handed a suspended sentence, and the judge telling that poor woman, he was a great lad for coming to court. Jesus wept. 😡

If the DPP don't take action that would be another travesty for the poor woman - hell take it to a trial court

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Here's the hard man who boasted "Two to knock her down and two to knock her out" after he ran away when another man intervened.

I doubt he's smirking now with all the anger and backlash. Fair play to his friends who stayed after he ran away like a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

If there was ever a need for a go fund me page, its for this victim. The state and its regime has outdone itself in its absolute disgraceful disregard for this young woman. If there is one for her, please post it up.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Part of the judge's reasoning for suspending the sentence was that Crotty would lose his job in the Defence Forces.

Now the Defence Forces are formally dismissing him anyway. Cos obviously they're doing that. Even without the public outrage I'd imagine they'd be taking this step.

What sort of drugs was the judge on?

One march. Two causes. Sentence that scumbag and remove that pox of a judge.

The system worked all the way up to a judge suspending a custodial sentence. He’s a danger to society!! Same as Crotty is

• Advertisement

Judges are untouchable otherwise a lot of them would be out of a job

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

His friends?

This is a guy who felt comfortable sharing the words "Two to knock her down and two to knock her out" with his friends.

I can't imagine the reaction if I said that to my mates, but he was quite comfortable doing so. They clearly are cut from the same cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

In Australia, they rightly called one punch attacks, a coward's punch. While this scumbag punched this lady more than once, he is the epitome of cowardice. Attacking a defenceless lady unprovoked and then bragging about it. Absolute coward.

I personally have a challenge for him, since he has been described as such a great lad.

"You didn't get jail time but I'm sure you would like to atone for your crime. Step into a locked room with two men of your own size related to that lady, with no cameras running."

Let's see what kind of a brave man you are then.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't know if they were the same friends, but whoever was with him that night stayed at the scene. The scumbag ran as soon as another man intervened.

I've no idea if the friends just stood by while he assaulted her but at least they had the balls not to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Ironically he's now paying a heavier price than he would have done if the judge had simply sent him to prison. There's no way that would have made much of a dent in the news headlines. He'd be out in a few months knowing our justice system. His name and face are all over social media and I can see this story getting worse for him in the coming days. Not that I have any sympathy for the pup.

He can take one for the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The most bizarre aspect was the judge being concerned for the attacker's career prospects (!). This wasn't a soldier up on a shoplifting charge or for a minor theft at the army barracks - this was a violent thug who beat a young woman unconscious on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Someone of his ilk who can do that to a defenceless woman would possibly brazen it out regardless of his pathetic mug all over the media.

He doesn't sound like someone who cares much about other people's feelings.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

No but everyone else knows who he is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Who over the age of 14 nevermind a feicin army officer uses Snapchat?!?

Advertisement