Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Donald Sutherland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here are the stills from his life, which The Guardian use as a tribute, loved the quirky Pride and Prejudice:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2024/jun/20/donald-sutherland-a-life-in-pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

He always played a baddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He made a memorable baddie. But he wasnt always a baddie - though even then there was usually something ambiguous about his character. Not a 'goodie' even when ultimately good.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I liked him best in The Eagle Has Landed, he had swagger

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

"THEY TOOK THE WRONG DONALD"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also gotta say: props for his small work in Hunger Games at the tale end of a career: it wasn't much of a role but he really filled President Snow with a really tactile, dangerous & knowing charm. He didn't turn up much but he gave Snow a nous and canniness that like all great villains, made you realise how this guy charmed and poisoned his way to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think he's absolutely crucial to making Snow work — immediately you distrust him because he's Donald Sutherland, but then as you say he has a kind of inherent charm and magnetism when he speaks, and he always seems smart.

Genuinely I think Sutherland is a significant reason why the Hunger Games movies work as well as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was brilliant in the remake of the Italian Job…think his presence nearly made the remake better than the original. Great actor…and loved his voice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I am a huge fan of the Hunger Games books, and Donald stood out in the movies in his role as President Snow. He played him so brilliantly, to the point that I can no longer visualise anyone else as the character, even when reading the books. When I re-read them (as I do often) I hear Donald's voice in my head speaking the dialogue, and I know I always will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Will Graham

I liked 'Disclosure' which he starred in with Demi Moore and Michael Douglas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's the way he played Snow in the last movie, with this knowing smirk like he knew exactly how it'd all pan out, that nothing about the revolution surprised him. His last moments before he got ripped to shreds by a crowd was to laugh uncontrollably at Katniss' actions; it just never would have worked at all without Sutherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was sorry to hear of Donald's passing, he was a very fine actor. 88 isn't a bad innings. He was on RTE1 last night, however briefly in Horrible Bosses.

Advertisement