Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letter from revenue saying i underpaid tax for 2020

Options
  • 03-11-2022 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

Anybody get a letter from revenue recently that they underpaid tax for 2020.

Looking for 690euro

I'm a paye worker.

Comments

• I heard Joe Duffy mention on Liveline that there were callers who have reported getting letters of money owed. Revenue are keeping on top of any shortfalls that get flagged on their system.

It’s important to ensure all your records are up to date online, even if you are a PAYE earner.

Revenue are almost invariably on the winning side, I once had to pay them over €1500 because I unintentionally failed to click a pay button on ROS. That hurt, but I had filled Form 11, which I presume you haven’t had to do as solely a PAYE earner without any other source of income, shares, inheritance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Give them a call and enquire about a payment plan. They always like a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

thats if you get through to them.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Were you on the covid payment for a while or was your employer getting the subsidy? A lot of tax shortfalls in those scenarios and a lot of letters gone out recently. Revenue are being fair enough with repayment methods so contact them to discuss your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you got the covid-19 payment, this like most employment social welfare payments such as jobseekers allowance, is taxable.

As the covid payment was correctly rushed so that people were not struggling, it was not connected into the pay systems of employers and therefore not taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

they present you with a figure but they don't give a breakdown on how they arrived at that figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Were you on PUP during 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

So,

My company cut salaries for a few months during the early stages of Covid. And they availed of subsidy.

As an odd result, I actually was getting paid more monthly for that period.

Subsequently, I found out I owed revenue the brunt of 2k. It's being paid via a knock in my tax credits over a 2 year period since the start of this year. Almost halfway home.

I was able to get a breakdown via their online portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd be fairly certain They would have issued a P21 statement.

Might be related to the initial Covid payment that wasn't taxed by employer.

Yes ring them to get them to explain.

Are they proposing to collect via reduction of tax credits for upcoming years as opposed to looking for a full payment now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I got one also, and heard of some others getting one.

I need to review it all but in my case it is linked to the twss covid payment that was given to employers.

When I look at balance statement for that year its far more complicated than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Have you followed the instructions in the letter? These are preliminary figures based on the information Revenue hold currently for you. When you follow the instructions and file your return as requested you'll get statements of liability providing you a breakdown of how any underpayment is calculated. While filing the returns you can also claim for any additional credits/reliefs to reduce any preliminary underpayments. You can of course declare any additional non PAYE income at the same time. The statements of liability will also state how any potential underpayments will be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I overpaid tax by 5100 and it’s being paid into my account tomorrow. What a lovely Christmas present in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Sorry to bump this thread....I just received a letter from Revenue stating I underpaid in 2020, possibly as a result of Covid payment. They're looking for about a grand. I thought at the time I took the option to repay through reductions in payslip but I can't find proof of this. I'm a PAYE worker. Anyone else get any correspondence from them regarding Covid payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Allinall

Have you a "Myaccount" set up on revenue.ie ? If not, register and you will be able to see on your tax credit certificate if they have taken it in prior years.

Otherwise just phone them up and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

This.

Id look at making a payment into my pension of the same amount to see if you can offset it. I think you can apply a pension contribution to the previous year before end of October. At least you will have the benefit of it. Might be worth checking with your pension provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I have and I looked. Couldn't see anything specific to the Covid payment. I'll ring them anyway but it looks like I'm in the hole for a grand to them. I didn't think they'd let it roll for this long, so wondering if anyone else had heard from them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Xander10

The option for collection of taxes due from covid payments was by way of reducing tax credits over coming years to effectively collect is available to Paye employees .

However, such employees with other sources of income, eg rental income, that are obliged to file a Form 11 cannot avail of this payment method

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

sorry to jump in but received similar notification this week -

"Your Preliminary End of Year Statement and PAYE Income Tax Return for 2020

Your Preliminary End of Year Statement for 2020 suggests you may have an underpayment of tax to Revenue, this means that you may owe revenue money."

Is it most likely Im getting this due to my husband receiving the pandemic subsidy payment in 2020, and because we are jointly assessed (and im the nominated person) it's addressed to me?

If it is his underpayment, am i still the liable person to pay due to the joint assessment ?

if so, would it be a big hit to my wages if they reduce my credits?

Sorry if these are stupid questions- i did try researching it myself but end up confused even more.

I should justlog onto revenue and complete the "review my tax" for that year?

i work in the public service if that's relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Yes as you're the assessable spouse they'll correspond with you on this. You could ask them to reduce your husband's tax credits instead. Just give them a call tomorrow (before theyclose the phone lines at 13.30).

thank you - i will do that.

i bit the bullet and logged on, its an underpayment of 2797 euro :(

we had our credits split, but he is out if work sick since jan and in receipt of illness benefit. Can they still reduce his credits if not working ?

thanks again

• Advertisement

They can but the tax underpayment won't be repaid by him of his income isn't sufficient enough to use his tax credits, so the underpayment will roll forward until recouped.

They will spread the underpayment over the next 4 years, so 2025 - 2028. You could ask that they split it 50/50 between you and see if that buys you extra time, depending on when his income becomes sufficient to repay the balance owed.

I don't know if they'll definitely do that but worth asking.

thank you ,appreciate the advice.

I will try call tomorrow. Regret opting in for joint assessment now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

They take calls up to 1.00pm Monday to Friday.

will a reduction in credits over 4 years be fairly noticeable in wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The reduction will be around 700 a year, so circa 14 a week if paid weekly or 58 if paid monthly. Noticeable but obviously much better than the outlay of the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I got one too in the past few days, seems i under paid by about €70 in 2020. Looks like they have put a 4 year payment plan in place for me….

Do not change your joint assessment!!!!

You will pay less tax overall in the year if your spouse has a lower income, by being jointly assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

The ITI had an update from the Personal Division in Revenue of compliance activities that included issuing correspondence about over/under payments of IT for 2020.

so i bit the bullet and completed the assessment for 2020, added in any Medical receipts/ uniform relief and got this back. apologies if this is a silly question (i did try find an answer online already ) but would anyone know how much will a reduction of approximately 690euro credits be reflected in my wages fortnightly ? (just to add i still intend to call the revenue to discuss )

on a side note, didn't think i would be eligible but applied for the mortgage interest credit for 2023 and was approved - around 1200 euro between us. if anyone not done it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

690 divided by 26 as you are paid fortnightly. So 26.53 euro.

Advertisement