Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's mad, every game seems to either feature an own goal or a worldie strike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

In the current climate I must say I do find it amazing that no one in England picked up the phone and gave Haaland a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

He is atrocious. But is in good company in Rte. The so called analysis is really underwhelming. And McClean hasn't added much either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

spain a joy to watch. Chalk and cheese compared to the shite england served up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jesus that’s depressing from Italy from a good free kick position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

What a game Williams is having. He's electric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I wonder how long it'll take for them to increase the tournament to 32 teams. I think I'd nearly prefer it to 24 as they're not going back to 16. I detest the best 3rd place nonsense, takes a lot of the jeapordy out of games like tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I appreciate 24 because it almost guarantees every last group game has meaning. Adding the extra teams and more dead rubber would be a poor move imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Cucurella having a great game. Showing a lot of the really positive swashbuckling stuff that he showed previously in Spain and at Brighton. Really impressively in his tackles and winning the ball too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cunnjngham just said Italy will struggle to qualify for the knockouts.

They have just played what looks like the best team in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

the worst is when he is in studio…watch the eyebrows

I think it's a bit too easy to qualify, Italy lose tonight and they're still almost guaranteed to qualify with a draw in their last game, or even a loss. They might as well just go for straight knockout from the start and get rid of the groups altogether. Eliminating 8 from 24 seems pointless to me.

That being said, lots of good games so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

works in the WC with 32, no reason it wouldnt work in the Euros

Ref going for the Spain Euro 2008 away kit tonight I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Who was the last great Italian striker? Seems like forever now they’ve lacked one who does it for years, many have come and gone and shown some hope but they eventually fizzle out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The 32 at the World Cup made for brilliantly dramatic final group games. Hate this thing of a group's games being over and there being no sense of catharsis at all… teams having to hang around for days to see if they're through or not. The WC's 3rd games were far more interesting and engaging than the last Euros 3rd group games as a result.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

A lot of the "worse" teams have given us the best games so far, it's just rare to see two top teams face off in early stages

they must have one of the youngest teams going.

pedri and williams both 21, with yamal only 16 (which is staggering when you think about it).

barce have also burned the likes of gavi and fati though in their quest to keep winning. will be interesting to see what happens pedri, and yamal in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Steviemak7

Spain have been superb tonight. Really exciting side. Great win. Very much in the running now to win this tournament.

like the new CL, is it 8 teams out of 36 get eliminated? more games = more money, which is the only objective of uefa.

but for the euros 32 would be better, with 2 teams qualifying from each group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Donnarumba"

Saves and cleans your floor at same time.

1-0 FT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very negative from Italy and deserve to be beaten.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

it’s killing me to answer this. So many big hopes that never really made it.

That lunatic lad, played for Real Madrid. What was his name?

I think the last world class striker they had was Vieri.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

They were very good. I’ve always been a bit of a Spanish fan and I’d love to see them win it. If you were being hyper critical maybe they should have scored more, and it did take an own goal to win it.

vieri? i dont even know if he was that good. certainly not an all time great.

totti, del piero and baggio weren't striker's.

beyond that, i can only suggest schillaci (who i think just had a good 6 games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Williams my MOTM. Unlucky not to score as well.

Morata's touch for the goal was critical as he took it off the first defenders head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Skill v Effort tonight.

Needed an early goal or two for Spain to see what Italy are actually like - they always start slowly in competitions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good point no one springs to mind off the top of my head that is obvious. Thinking back to 2006 world cup it was Cannavaro who won the player of the tournament and he was a defender.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

1-0 for Spain is probably a good result for Italy all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Luca Toni was a beast. Did he make it to the 2006 WC?

Someone needs to have a word with Duggan about the coloury dressers. It does not look right with all the colour in the background of the studio etc. Clashes visually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

shay given could do with getting a bigger size in t shirts

I think Croatia will beat Italy, and I'd be somewhat doubtful about Italy qualifying in 3rd place in that scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I backed Italy in the last Euro's before a ball was kicked, and lectured everyone ad nauseum that they'd win it, and they did. No one gave them a chance. Germany becoming stagnant really opened the door for them last time. And I do think Germany will romp home this time, huge point to prove to their own media.

In saying that, Italy each way now would be a very clever bet. Everyone gave Italy no chance before the tournament, and after the Spanish result has them completely wrote off, which they love. Italy will generally do the bare minimum to qualify from groups, and if they meet Spain in a knock-out game will take them. For all Spains good play and dominance, an own goal beat Italy, they'd turn the screw in a knock out game.

Backing Italy each way is a funny one though, as it implies they may make the final, but as I said I feel Germany will win. Ironically the only team that beats Germany regularly in major tournaments is Italy. So if your to back Italy each way, may as well back them to win it.

People think their assertations of Italy not winning this have been proved right tonight. This is what Italy love. They'll scrape into the knock out rounds, and then the chess begins. They have a very strong spine, and Chiesa. Any team with Chiesa can spark at any moment. Too many injuries, and he's not hailed as one of the best in the world, but on ability alone, there's very few players in the world with the ability of Chiesa. If he decides to spark, its a completely different Italy your dealing with.

Make no mistake, they'll be there or there abouts, and their price has just gone up.

Italy will qualify doing the bare minimum, never doubt it

• Advertisement

I had Italy tipped last tournament as well. If I remember it was a number of combinations an easy group and the wingbacks for Italy were magic. This is not the same Italy though. Given the quality of a number of other teams in this tournament Italy will need a lot of luck this time around.

Totti was so good, he could adapt to being an out and out striker, and bang in 26 goals one year I think. The man was mercurial. After Messi, possibly possessed the most raw talent of any player in the last 30 years. But doesn't get the credit he deserves, due to his loyalty to Roma. An absolute phenomenal talent. A level above even Dep Piero and Pirlo, and could play any role in an advanced position, and do it better than anyone.

We hail Lampard due to the goals he scored. Totti scored nearly 3 times as many from midfield. If he played in England, would be seen as the second coming!

They should've shipped 4 or 5 tonight so they'd want to improve sharpish. Personally I give them zero chance of winning the tournament. The only team to win it back to back was one of the greatest international sides ever. Italy ain't that.

Totti was superb.

Did he really scored three times more goals than Lampard from midfield?

Also, he played quite a chunk of his career as a second striker/forward position didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I didn't hear it on tv but there were huge boos from England fans after the game , at least from England fans who didn't leave before the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

let's get it right, Southgate has been exposed as a fraud for years.

the Euros final against Italy, in reality, showed him for who he is. He has a bunch of really talents players, but he's so insecure that he instinctively puts the handbrake on when he's ahead - just to be safe. He's not tactically advanced or aggressive enough to achieve what he should achieve with that group.

The excuse he gave last night of not having Kalvin Phillips was astounding. It is basically an admission that he wants two midfielders to act as out-and-out DMs to protect his back 4. It's the reason he persists with Walker at RB, despite his form going off a cliff in recent months, because his pace gives an extra safety blanket. There is no trust in his players to keep possession at high intensity in the final third of the pitch for long periods - despite having a midfield that could comprise of the likes of Rice, Bellingham, Mainoo, Foden and Gallagher in there. There is any balance you want in that array of talent. But he's absolutely clueless.

Trent in midfield is a weird attempt to 'try something', but also know that you have a read-made scapegoat because you can't figure out a way to get your team to be cohesive. Play him RB, or put him on the bench (and you won't find a bigger Trent fan than me). Rice, Bellingham in midfield, with Foden at the 10 dropping in when needed. if you want to be more robust, put Gallagher or Mainoo in midfield, and then put either Foden or Bellingham and 10, and drop the other one. Put Gordon on the left for balance. Stop pigeon-holing players into positions. Germany don't start Sane. They could put Musiala or Gundogan further back instead of Andrich, and wedge Sane in there, but they don't.

I have no particular want for England to do well. But it's frustrating watching how they're repeatedly being set up to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nope they have pretty similar career records. Also pretty sure Totti got plenty of credit throughout his career...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,131 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He came along when the national team was on the floor and engagement from fans was at a real low. The atmosphere and love for the team he created in 2018 was truly exceptional and he gave English fans their best summer since 86 and one that will live on for years.

Thankfully for the rest of us the English FA are still letting him live of that 3 tournaments later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it was Roy Keane who said last night that Trent looks bad because there's nobody making themselves available to receive the ball. They all agreed though that he should be the right back.

I don't agree that Walker is a problem though. He's getting no help at all when he gets forward and he's breaking his backside to get back when England lose possession unexpectedly which happens a lot.

Anyway if Southgate decides to bring somebody else in at left back it won't be Walker or TAA who'll play right back because Trippier is his main man.

Rice and TAA were playing very deep in their own half which leaves a gap between them and the forward players so what happens then is those forward players are coming back to try and get on the ball and that makes it easy for the opposition to shut down the lads left up top.

Its all on Southgate. Walker of course blamed himself and the rest of the team for not performing so his manager doesn't get the blame.

Most nations would love to have Southgate’s tournament record. Despite all the question marks over him tactically etc. The reality is he has done superbly results wise without winning silverware.

He was only a penalty shootout away from a knighthood. Now according to some quarters of the English media he is inept.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement