Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sailing

They clearly don’t have enough pilots if they are cancelling flights Willy nilly every day. Where is the CEO? Do they even have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

she’s busy having coffee mornings with colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

EI operate in a highly fluctuating and seasonal industry where no two days are the same.

In any company like this either in the air or the ground a certain amount of it activity will require workers to be flexible to solve the problem.

No company whose industry is highly operational could operate on ‘strict work to rules’ with any success.

To assume they haven’t enough pilots because a work to rule cannot be handled without disruption is a flawed extrapolation

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

if they are offering a refund and there’s a similar flight with another airline on the same day why wouldn’t you do it instead of waiting and seeing and then hoping to get compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

that’s probably not much of an option for families who’ve booked months in advance that could be twice the price now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭plodder

The post makes sense to me. The business is highly seasonal. How could any airline cope with that without having a degree of flexibility from staff? That's not to say they aren't lacking in pilots at the same time though.

Can anyone say what the EI short haul roster looks like, and how much headroom there is before pilots hit the legal limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

For those asking generic typre questions here on their bookings better off referring to their website specifically aimed to this action.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭galwayguy85

My folks booked return flights ages ago to come and visit my partner and I in Germany (Dublin to Düsseldorf). . The outbound flight is outside of the affected period, but the return one sadly is. Checked the status of the trip (using the reference number) this morning and there was no mention of it being cancelled. Is that something I can trust to remain the case, or it something that Aer Lingus are doing somewhat arbitrarily. No SMS has been received up to now. I don’t want to spend the next day or two worrying that they won’t be able to fly back.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Kilteragh

Flying on 2n July Dub to LPA and got those emails this morning. I wonder have they sent those to everyone on every flight in that timeframe or just those who are likely to be among the 10% to 20% likely to be cancelled.

I realise doing nothing and hoping for the best in the latter scenario is a risk.

From EI(Below), You'll know closer to the time. I'm assuming it could be from 7 days notice but people will have more knowledge of the rostering systems, however i can imagine that some canx will be more fluid as i'm not sure EI have in store for how thiis will play out

If your flight is affected, we will contact you directly by email/SMS, or through your travel agent to advise you of your options.

• Advertisement

I can picture T2, being an absolute shitshow at times over the coming weeks. The poor PSA(Are they still called that?) are in for a rough time

I can't imagine his comments are helpful, and that they appear also to be aimed at the Pilots…….

Taoiseach Simon Harris yesterday said it was “utterly reprehensible” that children are being “used as pawns” in the dispute, as families prepare to head off on holidays.

“The idea that passengers – children due to go on their summer holiday – would be used as pawns in an industrial relations dispute that has already been considered by the Labour Court is utterly reprehensible, and people need to step back from the brink,” Mr Harris said.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pacman114

Outbound flight next Tuesday and return Thursday…no email/SMS yet

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

You are correct. But I think it is the extent of the flexibility required that is the issue. Pilots clearly feel that they been given the flexibility required to paper over the cracks and not getting rewarded or respected for it. Respect comes in many ways. For example AL pilots cannot book family days off like communion or confirmations and need to use sick days. Noone likes to do this and shouldn't have to. They do not get seats up front on standby unlike BA pilots and management (first world problem but poor optics). They would also see that they took a big hit during COVID and as soon as demand recovered management paid themselves huge bonuses on the back of their hard work (as they would see it). I think these things are easily fixed but it requires a mind shift by management to stop treating pilots as an inconvenient cost and as actual valued business partners. Then they might find that the overall pay figure required comes down. Regardless of the amount of pay, people like to feel part of something and not taken for granted. Even the way AL has been talking about the pilot pay claim in the media (blackmail, insidious, talking about sick days etc.) would indicate they don't get this and seem to be stuck in some sort of management handbook from the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

hmmmm….A good post but seems to have perhaps drifted into the usual ' management are riding us ragged and we are down trodden and mistreated, pigeon hole'

I mean I doubt if management treat the pilots as "an inconvenient cost" they would be very foolish to adopt an attitude like that.

Im quite sure EI pilots are paid relative to industry norms, other airlines have their own internal 'perks' and work practices.

I would suggest that this will be resolved through IAG IR 'systems' but it may take some pain from the travelling public before that.

There will be a lot of 'spin' from both sides as this builds up so lets try to be factual and pragmatic over the issues involved .

Hopefully common sense will prevail eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

I thought some of the responses to your reasonable post were a bit OTT so just wanted to give a bit more context. Agree with you that this thing will be resolved despite all the bluster. I don't work for a unionized company and there is simply no way management would bad mouth it's employees in public. The board would fire them. Maybe it is a feature of strikes but I still think it is counter productive and the sooner they both get in a room to thrash it out the better. Although it looks like it will take some financial pain for the company in order to get there ( I do some work in commercial negotiations and this is perfectly normal as well...).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

I tend to agree. If they had more pilots, then what would they do in winter... Fight over who gets the reduced flying? Other, larger airlines have huge route networks and year-round supporting populations to maintain flying.

EI, like most tourism based countries, and even towns and resorts around Ireland make hay while the sun shines (or doesn't), so they can pay their way through winter.

I'm not a fan of management at EI, but am jaded with the work-hard in summer debate as it can't really be solved in a way that supports off-peak. EI recruits extra cabin crew, ground staff etc. for the peak season. That can't happen with pilots.

Pilots cannot fly more than X-hrs per month, and that is adhered year-round, including summer peak. They are merely being asked to fly as much as they can during peak times and less so during off peak - which suits certain people. That's how EI flying works... If it doesn't suit... You're free to work with a larger airline that is less seasonal or, change how pilots work at an international level so that you can move around more flexibility; fly for different airlines at different times of the year (as an FO only regardless of your position at your home airline - with new airline specific training on the aircraft type you're already trained on - different procedures) etc.

If pilots are tied to one airline as they are now, this will always be an problem. Airline groups (IAG, AF-KLM, LH) should streamline all flying rules and procedures for each type of aircraft so there are Interoperability of all staff between a group to allow for support during local ebbs and flows, reduction in local seasonality, and greater ability of staff transfer and progression to suit lifestyles and the all familiar tech recovery that can take days. It's withering, and you can sure as $hit the well paid pilots threw the cadets and juniors to the wolves during the last negotiation, and are now trying to use them to get pay increases for themselves... They don't care about the newbies - sadly.

Post edited by sherology on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They said everyone has the option. Maybe the email is in spam?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pacman114

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Privilege Style A330 due into DUB this afternoon, to operate EI496/7 to Faro and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Obviously, flights on other airlines at short notice are going to be very expensive, also other Airlines will jack up the prices to take advantage of the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

You can cancel it and get a full refund on the website

320 Usually covers that leg

I wonder will EI492 be impacted so

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Due to fly out to NY next Thursday. I have received the same email as others ie you can change, get refund etc. As there is no mention of the flight being cancelled I am going to sit tight.

Has anyone actually received confirmation that their flight is cancelled ? If so when were you due to fly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

This doesn't say much that isn't already in the mail, i.e. giving you a list of ways to make Aer Lingus's life easier by preemptively changing all of your plans.

I fly out tomorrow. I received the email about my return flight but it hasn't been cancelled yet, so if I don't take them up on their offer now (given that no other airline runs flights to Ireland from the city I'll be in and there is no other reasonable economic alternative that I can find) and the flight does get cancelled while I'm abroad what happens? Will they supply accommodation? Can I expect a reasonable chance of a flight the next day or should I expect to be stuck until July 3rd?

Yes, they are obliged to find accomodation for you and either get you on another flight asap (with EI) or accomodate you with any other airline. Also obliged to ensure sustinence allowance and then entitled to any relevant EU claim

EU Guidelines

Assistance in the event of cancellation

Airlines should offer you and provide assistance free of charge while you wait. In the event of travel disruption, you should make yourself known to the airline, to avoid a situation where you have to make your own arrangements. Airlines should also ensure, where available, that accommodation is accessible for people with disabilities and their service dogs. The assistance to be provided includes:

• Refreshments
    • Food
    • Accommodation (if you are rebooked to travel the next day)
    • Transport to your accommodation and return to the airport
    • 2 telephone calls, telex, fax messages or emails

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This is the interesting part. So if I am getting a flight to say fuerteventura and it's cancelled, are they obliged to check all rerouting e.g. putting me on a ryanair flight via stansted?

I wonder about the holiday spots, lots of people are out on their weeks holidays and may be told the return flight is cancelled, especially when there is no daily flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Aer Lingus probably already know most of the flights that will be cancelled, but they will hold that info for as long as possible.

Offering full refunds is a call to action to passengers to execute on alternative arrangements that they were probably evaluating already, i.e. postponing, buying other tickets, cancelling the trip, etc.

Many will jump to get the money back, what will allow Aer Lingus not to pay compensation, what otherwise they would have to do for flights that they know they will cancel.

Now is the waiting game…how long can Aer Lingus suppress details of the cancelled flights vs how long passengers who have alternative arrangements organized may be prepared to wait before requesting the money back.

Aer Lingus may want as many refunds/reroute requests as possible for the flights they know they will cancel so they don't have to compensate passengers.

Passengers with alternative arrangements organized may want to wait as long as possible for Aer Lingus to send the cancellation (if their flight is impacted), so they get the money back and the compensation monies.

Sad state of affairs…has any passenger actually been contacted already?

• Advertisement

No, they have to organuse to take you to your original destination, direct. Well that's my understanding of it.

Funnily enough, it happened to me during the Ash Cloud (remember that) i was "stuck" for 2 days in a plush 5 star hotel in quinta de lago. EI were actually brilliant at the time

Advertisement