Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's just it - Bill Clinton was/is more than a bit sleazy , but he was a pretty decent President all things considered.

Trump is a horrible human being AND a catastrophically dangerous person to have as President as his indolence and utter disregard for anything other than his ego and his wallet would destroy the US and do irreparable harm to the rest of the world.

See as an example his idea of replacing all income taxes with Tariffs on all imports.

Economists reckon it would require anything from an 80% to 130% tariff rate on all goods to replace the $2.5T in taxes currently collected and that's before the rest of the world retaliates and hammers US exports.

It would also destroy the economy and jack up prices immeasurably for the average consumer , but rich people would do very very well out of it which is all he thinks about.

But as a slogan for his base - "No Income tax" sounds amazing but the reality is very very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Also needs to be pointed out that the American people pay for tarrifs, not the government or exporting country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

I don't think it's a dearth of talent, certainly not on the Democratic side like Buttegieg and the likes. Mitt Romney stand out on the Republican side, and there's a few like him as well.

The problem isn't talent.

The problem is the degeneration of America, more specifically the turning of the Republican party into a cult based on anger and evangelical nationalism led by a con man.

I would add too that the degeneration is linked to declining educational standards and the idolizing of the moron. When the moron but well meaning dad like Homer Simpson started becoming the ideal, it was only a matter of time before someone like Trump would appeal to that level of moronic stupidity.

And unfortunately in the US, it seems that moronic stupidity has much more votes than common sense, and that gap is only widening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

abstaining voters is how Trump won in 2020 in critical swing states.

Abstaining is not an effective solution. “Biden old” seems a horrible reason to abstain when the other candidate you mention seems not just old as well but has a slew of negative traits and a history of atrocious policy making, and not just with regard to Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think there's also been a serious rise in selfishness, partly fueled by social media. The thing with Homer Simpson is that while he was deeply flawed, he did care for his family, his neighbours and his country. Of course, the character's morals degenerated as the show went on in an interesting parallel to what we saw during covid.

The right actively push the notion that the self and material gain are all that matters. Margaret Thatcher famously said that there is no such thing as society. People bought into it thinking they'd be rich when all they were doing was to enable the stripping out of their countries for the benefit of a few elites.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Social media has also accentuated the zero sum gain in dispute resolution. Ie I only win when the other side lose, echoed considerably by "trade wars are easy to win" trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I'm no fan of the Tories but Rishi Sunak is a far more capable politician and indeed person (I still dislike him enormously) than Trump. Thankfully and unlike the Americans, they can see the wood from the trees in the UK and are going to give the Tories a hammering on July 4th.

Even Johnson, as despicable as he is, looks like a gleaming knight compared to Trump.

Post edited by All_in_Flynn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Oh jesus, I wasnt comparing Sunak to Trump.

I was responding to this comment:

Utterly tragic that the US Presidential election is going to be between Trump and Biden. Is their such a dearth of political talent that it comes down to these two to be President?

I was saying there is a dearth of political talent in the UK also.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think there is a dearth of political talent everywhere.

What decent person would want to be a politician these days with the constant abuse and microscopic analysis of your personal life and behaviours?

The decline in civility across the board , driven by social media in large part means that normal decent people with a desire to "give something back" are less and less inclined to get involved in the political arena these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Plus, if you're talent enough to actually be able to enact meaningful change, you'll do much better at somewhere like KPMG and avoid said abuse while making a good living.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

When conservatives declare, "There is no such thing as society", and worship the woman who said it, they shouldn't be surprised at all in a rise of selfishness and everything it entails.

It's one of the beautiful paradoxes of "Britishness". "No such thing as society" existing in the same space as, "The Blitz Spirit".

The states are utterly f*cked because of years and decades of under investment in education. The US should be a warning to every country out there, if you keep money away from children and into the arms of Oligarchs, it will destroy your country.

If the GOP had its way, there'd be no state schools and libraries. Disturbingly, John Oliver has a piece about libraries and how theofascists are desperately trying to either censor them or shut them down:

Nothing does more to realise aspirations than education which is why conservatives absolutely despise it.

There's a reason it turns people into liberals. It's because it encourages you to ask questions and once you do so, you realise how stupid and morally bankrupt conservatism is in some countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Around minute 8, although the whole video is worth a watch, around minute 8, Don Junior goes on a rant about ChatGTP. Is it just me or does he sound like he's doing an impression of Christy in My Left Foot?

Post edited by LambshankRedemption on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

"It's one of the beautiful paradoxes of "Britishness". "No such thing as society" existing in the same space as, "The Blitz Spirit"."

No paradox there. The Blitz Spirit lasted as long as the Blitz and the War(and was a real phenomenon at that time and that circumstance -that "space")

"No such thing as society" came 30 years later -a different "space" a consequence of a determined woman who defeated the power of organized labour after Heath tried and failed to get along with it.

British society did not support the unions controlling the Labour Party and the workers,many of whom did not want to be unionized and so tolerated the strike breaking which defeated Scargill..

Thatcher filled the power vacuum (an unpleasant woman for unpleasant times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Is it just me or does he sound like he's doing an impression of Christy in My Left Foot?

That would be the cocaine 👃

Coke would have him talking quicker though wouldn't? He sounds more like he's been at the sherry early.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Except you won't get a job in KPMG when you dropped out of a journalism degree in Bolton St before you completed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Not necessarily

His jaw movement's a dead giveaway aswell

• Advertisement

I dont have much experience with coke. I always considered it an upper, and he sounds more like he's been on a downer.

Anyway, clearly using something. Now if only he could legally buy a handgun…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

With regards the "I wouldn't vote in this election because Biden and Trump are both bad", this is fitting:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Come on, the behavior of a presidential candidate's child has no bearing on any election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the point is that if Trump goes to buy a gun, and declares he hasn't taken X, Y, Z - that may be untrue and could be proven in court.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I'm surprised a convicted felon is still even in this race ….. ideally he should be barred from standing and the Republican Party should distance themselves from him …. it shows us that America is ok with this criminal running and the Republicans are all the SAME as him …. and probably even WORSE than him ….

What to expect if the Republicans and Trump gain power in November …..

January 20th …. an ill tempered speech from the Giant Teddybear in Chief denouncing all those who done him wrong …. and imposing his vision for his self styled personal version of the MAGA Republic of Gilead ….

January-May …. a relentless campaign of anti-Iran rhetoric and a false flag operation …..

Some time in his first year ….. declaration of war on Iran …. and a messy unneeded war which becomes very unpopular with America and has major economic impact …..

Throughout …. increased militarisation, possible conscription, funds directed away from caring/medical/educational area to military and propaganda areas …..

Throughout …. rights stripped away from minorities, women, gays/trans people, people from the Democrat background, and all others who are not in support of Gileadean ideals ….

Throughout …. increased support for likeminded far right politicians in Europe …. and the MeK in Iran should Gilead win the war …..

During the first and second year ….. authoritarian border control where it will become increasingly difficult to enter the Republic of Gilead and where it will be difficult for some citizens to leave ….

From the second year on ….. an ever increasing authoritarian agenda where Americans' rights are taken away ….. possible other wars against Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua and Mexico …..

Coming up towards the 2028 election …. attempts to ban the main opposition …. how successful depends on cooperation of the army and police ….. other attempts to consolidate power ……

2027 or 2028 ….. the revelation of the real leader and the power behind Trump …. most likely a hardline Tea Party/MAGA terrorist with religious nutjob views ….

Support levels for this American dictatorship would drop and ex fervent voters of it would change their stance and wonder why they believed in it ….. at the end the regime would be so unpopular that it would not even attempt to run elections and would probably state the country is in a state of emergency and elections will remain postponed …..

This is Trump's/those he fronts for's agenda ….. how far into this agenda they will be able to get depends but I'd say half of it especially the foreign policy aspects …. would be implemented easily by this evil regime ….. their long awaited Iran war then may be the catalyst to impose some emergency to implement the rest ….. afterall the Democrats will be 'full of Iranian spies' …..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Kalyke

ETTD….down 42.85% this last month! But ultimately he will gain from this sh!tshow.

Like every business venture he has ever touched.

He'll get his and everyone else can go whistle.

He hasn't invested a single penny here, so even if the stock collapses to less than a dollar a share , he still makes off with tens of millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Two fellow judges urged Aileen Cannon to recuse herself from the White House Documents case, but she didn't;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/20/aileen-cannon-trump-classified-documents-case

Its good to see trump still laser focused on the important issues for the American public like...

Checks notes

Wtf?

• Advertisement

Biden is the worst president ever.

We won't have a country if he stays in.

We will end up in world war 3.

Biden is grossly incompetent.

(Well, at least we will know what he'll be saying, that's if he turns up for the debates)

Advertisement