Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furiosa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

One thing that I find interesting was Ruth Negga was one of the actors they considered for Furiosa in Fury Road and I think she would have worked for it in Furiosa too. But yep, you're right. Anya Taylor Joy just doesn't have the kind of star power as Theron and she looked particularly iconic in role too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, Max has always been a kind of nothing character in the movies. In the first film, arguably Goose and toecutter are the most interesting people. In the second, Max loses a lot of his "personality" when his dog gets killed and the wasteland warriors Max is up against are a damn sight more intriguing than anyone else. In three Auntie and Master-Blaster steal the limelight to a considerable degree. It's the bizarro nutters Max meets that tend to outshine Max himself and Fury Road was no different. You're probably correct, Max was perhaps a second thought used to placate the execs at Warners.

As for Mad Max being niche, this has some merit too. But anyone who's familiar with movies will be familiar with that title. So there is some cachet there. But I think Mad Max has always been better received outside of the US. Remember, 'Mad Max 2' was sold over there under the title of 'The Road Warrior' and few people had any idea that it was a sequel to a little Aussie flick called 'Mad Max'. Which, BTW, was dubbed into "American" when it had a limited release there in 1980. And Fury Road didn't make it's money back in America. Outside of the States it did better business, where it was more well received, and why there's a 'Furiosa' in the first place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Before you strap me to the stake, I'll point out that I didn't say I've watched it - I generally only watch fan edits that either fix flawed films (not the case here) or promise a sufficiently different take on the original that it seems worthwhile to me (also not worth it, because why watch an alt version when I could just rewatch Fury Road again?).

Reminding me that I have to choose wherever to rewatch Fury Road in colour or black and white tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In fairness, I've seen some fan edits that are better than the original films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

The Furiosa war rig looked far nicer than the Fury Road one. Beautiful designs etched into the shiny tankers. FR rig was much more function than form. The Bombyknocker was deadly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont think it matters that he is a star, Cruise didnt make make the last MI a hit, but he was the only reason Top Gun Maverick did so well, no "re-imagining", recasting, fronting some B character would have worked. The audience wasnt hungry for an airplane movie, but they clearly wanted the "magic" of Top Gun recreated. You could transfer that logic to Mad Max and Gibson, neither does the audience need a doomer car movie set in the future…no one cares

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Fury Road is a cult classic, got nominated for ten Oscars, won six(it likely would have gotten best director if it wasn't the same year as The Revenant) and is often viewed as one is the best movies of the 2010s. So no, Mel Gibson most definitely is not needed for a great Mad Max. Furiosa while not as successful is likely gonna be looked back on as similarly masterful. So just because you don't like Miller's approach to the rebirth, there's most definitely a huge interest in them and the direction he has taken them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You seem for some reason a lot more interested in whether the film made any money rather than if it’s any good? The most common answer to the latter, much more interesting question is a resounding ‘yes it’s really **** good and you should go see it rather than looking at box office numbers’.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Oscar mention is interesting: one wonders if Furiosa will receive as many nods this time; discounting the box office distraction I don't get the impression this has caused the same buzz as its predecessor such that it might cause ripples with the Academy. Some nominations for technical awards might be a good bet, but for the more high profile categories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

A lot of people are too concerned on the casting in films rather than how the film is actually artistically executed, written and directed, which is a shame, but not surprising when everybody has been lambasted with the ongoing cult of personality age.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The market will force a change down the road otherwise, either make niche movies that dont cost a lot and dont need a mass audience or make expensive movies that a lot of people will want to see. The problem with Furiosa was not that lots of people missed out on a good movie.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing I can't get my head around is why you won't go to see this movie? You're obviously interested enough in it to be posting about it, but seem to refuse to head to the cinema to watch it because it isn't 'mass market' enough? We all complain about Hollywood producing slop aimed at the widest possible market (often very profitably). We should only celebrate when someone smuggles something weirder, bolder and - frankly - better through the system.

I've seen the film and totally understand why it wasn't a $1 billion hit. Indeed, I could've told you this wouldn't be a $1 billion hit having seen Fury Road and indeed most of the films George Miller has made. Of course it would be nice if this was a massive hit, but it was never going to be. But thankfully balancing the books is solely a problem for Hollywood accountants. I'm just happy to go along and see the great film Miller put out. It's bamboozling to me that any cinema fan would feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Did Mr Norton make an appearance in Fury Road?

She seemed to be the only member of Dementus' crew to survive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey if people are allergic to going to the cinema, there's always Road Wars: Max Fury instead lol. Asylum still knocking out shít I see; even their trailers are terrible, I couldn't find anything better on YouTube.

for me cinema has to be top tier , either one of us or one of the kids (late teenage) will need to feel its going to be great, it can either be a popcorn flick or even better a "Stella film" otherwise it may just fall into, "ill catch it at some stage if its mildly interesting" the thing is there is a lot of TV shows going back as much as 15 years which create far more entertainment and far less friction.

There's one thing that will always stick with me from watching this thing the first time in the cinema. The scene where the chrome truck is being attacked and the Octobosses paraglider baloon comes into the shot from the left hand side of the frame. That entire scene and the action that preceded it gave me the same sort of vibes I got when I was going to see films back in the late 1980's. It was executed far better than anything in Fury Road. Total lost escapism within the screen. Only difference was when I was watching that sort of scene in the late 80's the entire cinema theatre was packed, this time there was me and three other people in a 150 seated cinema.

I remember Mad Max 2 had "holy" status among teenagers back in the day, that kind of magic hasnt been seen since

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Happy to clarify: if 'teenagers' don't like Fury Road / Furiosa, the 'teenagers' are wrong.

• Advertisement

More to a point that has been made already: teenagers aren't going to the cinemas in the first place, and certainly not to see a niche Australian franchises get blank-cheque sequels. Maybe those mythical teenagers from fadó aren't so numerous that both this and Fury Road barely made ripples in the box office.

I think there's something being unsaid here, what do you mean by friction? Fury Road and Furiosa are top tier cinema in general. You refer to Mad Max 2 having a holy status with teenagers but Fury Road has achieved that with all age groups that like cinema tbh. It manages to appeal to both motorheads and people who love the likes of Terrence Mallick. That's an incredible achievement by Miller, expecting a man who is going into his eighties to rethread existing ground is a bit insulting to an accomplished director with a unique vision.

Friction as in actually going to cinema, you need to find when everyone is free, as a parent being prepared to drop 100 euros plus, parking yada yada versus watching "something on the box" . Nobody has a wholestic view of everything but Ive had multiple kids floating around the house for years so I anyway get a snapshot of what sticks and what doesnt, for instance before Wednesday was even a show I'd heard about, multiple kids mentioned it was going to be their Halloween costume, then the show comes out and becomes a big hit, surprise no.

Ive never once heard Furiosa dropped as something to watch or picked as a "cinema night" at home. and for the once I saw it it didnt bring back memories of Mad Max 2, Im sure it has its own audience but did it (the second one) tie in with the cost of it?

It's fantastic you and your family can have film & TV nights at home or out at the cinema. But what I think it's fair to say everyone's rubbing up against is the idea that it's somehow unworthy of a watch because it doesn't hit your kids' movie night criteria? The concept of only judging a film based on its commercial success or familial appeal is a very limited perspective for any adult to engage with any given film.

If Furiosa doesn't hit your criteria for a cinema trip, fair enough! But I don't get why you're in this thread - dominated, objectively, by very positive responses to the film - determined to paint it is an unworthy film. Nobody is denying the film is a commercial flop. Some viewers won't like the film itself for perfectly legitimate reasons. But you seem to be suggest it's an artistic failure, despite (as far as I can tell) not having actually seen it? The film has been positively received by almost every metric other than box office figures.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

I dont hate that the film exists but maybe the issue its a popular film on niche sites? a couple of random films that bubbled up from the family that we saw last year was Leon and Nighrcrawler, not huge films in the absolute sense but I still remember them a year later so they obviously left an impression, my current view is that Furiosa would leave me a little cold and bored, though note I still havnt seen the second Avatar for similar reasons, if I think a film is a retread, that will stay my opinion until it doesnt.

It's most definitely not a retread and you've specifically said you want a Mad Max with Mel Gibson which sounds far more like a retread. 😂 I can say without a doubt that both Furiosa and Fury Road will stick with me. And that seems to be the case for many posters. Both are pretty unique experience respectively.

;-) there is always special cases like Top Gun 2 generally though they go back to the pond more than is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This film was fantastic. And I struggled to get through Fury Road so I must watch it again to see if I just wasn’t in right mood at the time. But this was brilliant, similar to original Mad Max 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Blown away by how good this is. A masterpiece

• Advertisement

The film is performing very well on the video on demand charts, costing about 25 euros to stream and own at home. I suppose when you factor in that the vast majority of people who were fans of the Mad Max films back in the day, a good number of them are probably parents of young kids and find it difficult to get to the cinema at any stage.

Advertisement