Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

Though sure leinster players getting the majority of ireland spots for years likely is a factor. An all ireland team is a good thing

• A key player for his province? He started 7 games last year total. He didn't play a single minute in Europe. He had a couple of nice games at the end of the season, notably against Munster and a good 15 mins before he departed injured against Leinster, but calling him a key player is a massive stretch, and claiming he earned this spot with sustained excellence doesn't stack up either.

Despite their age difference - Izuchukwu has no appreciable experience advantage over Prendergast, he's barely played more games and mins. For the positions they play in - Izuchukwu's durability and conditioning have also historically been concerns.

Hearing this stuff about "particularly slim" is tiresome too - Prendergast has visibly put size on over the course of the season, and is by any definition a really big guy at 6ft 4ins and c. 93kg.

The coaches are the ones who are tasked with determining his physical readiness for this sort of test, and are doing so armed with the knowledge of access to all of his data (gym, training etc), and by seeing him up close and in training daily. That holds quite a bit more credence than armchair pundits saying they think he looks a bit skinny.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Arendse is apparently back for the Bulls this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

that’s a big boost was the expecting him back for the 2nd Irish test.didnt expect him back before that.

What i said was he ended the season a key player which im surprised you disagree with tbh he was key

He is particularly slim thats a fact, if the coaches dont see it as an issue thats fine and youd trust them but he is absolutely slim irrespective of what size hes put on

• Advertisement

• Johnny Sexton had that gangly and slimmer frame, and he spent most of his career at 6ft 2 and 90kgs - Prendergast is a couple of inches taller and about 4 or 5 kilos heavier.

He's not being asked to pack down in the front row either, and he's not being selected for his physicality.

What he has shown a great aptitude for early in his career is directing the attack - that's the unique skillset they see in him that they want to see more of.

Prendergast's inclusion in this squad isn't unusual - his is a high calibre talent who has shown significant potential, but, crucially, there is a real gap of viable alternatives / back ups to Crowley. It's highly likely he doesn't play on this tour, but bringing him along makes absolute sense.

Once again - I don't have any issue with Izuchukwu's inclusion. I think he looks to have the sort of elite talent that it's worth taking a punt on. My point was - most of the challenges levelled at Prendergast's inclusion earlier in this thread, especially his lack of big game experience etc is arguably even more valid as a criticism of Izuchukwu.

The experience comment is fair but you could put Izuchukwu in poms role tomorrow and he coukd do it. Sam you need to change things for probably take him out of the defensive line for a start

I have no issue with him being there i just wish we did it for others also. If this can help him become international standard then happy days

Alao sexton wasnt as skinny as sam even young. I find 95 kg hard to believe even if it is on a tall frame

• They do elevate others also - especially in times of need. As has already been pointed out - Crowley had very little material difference in terms of experience when he was given the start against Australia.

They don't need to be as aggressive IMO in accelerating in some other positions because we've got a lot more depth.

I disagree too that just dropping in Izuchukwu for POM would be seamless - he's still a very raw talent. A lot of the things we look for from POM Izuchukwu hasn't shown yet. He's obviously a good athlete but he's far from a finished product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just like to add to the converstaion on selection of Predergast. I think its very unusual.

Dropping two outhalves from the senior squad and picking their young Provincial colleague instead! Unprecedented in Irish rugby.

Its a great selection and underlines the boneheaded mismanagement of Ross, Harry, Frawley and Prendergast at Leinster. Recently more than ever.

I wouldn't pick him to play v SA.

But I'm sure there in no other head coach in the world better placed to know if a young outhalf will be ready or not.

(Look how skinny his legs are. Springbok like!)

Sexton at 24 was more developed. Had a full preseason and started pretty much all of Leinsters opening games that season (Will check back)

Not many remember Sexton didnt play in the A game v Tonga (Humphries and Keatley) and stayed on the bench v Australia prior to Fiji game.

The dogs on the street knew Sexton was ready for his debut, and then for SA (At home. Not Loftus Versfeld!)

• Advertisement

I disagree about the crowley vs prendergast experience comment

Of coarse Izuchukwu wont be the same player as pom.but he can slot in and fulfil the same role more athleticly at this point but as with anyone that's going to take that spot with vastly less nous but thats going to be the case woth any irish great being replaced

I disagree about the crowley vs prendergast experience comment

On what basis? It is not an opinion, it's just a fact. Both had 6 provincial starts, Crowley had about 80 more mins total (720 vs 640)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

They play in two different positions.

One of which is viewed as much more crucial to the whole team's attack patterns and tactics than the other. We don't talk about how a blindside has managed a game.

• Disagree all you want - it doesn't change the facts. Crowley, before the EI tour, had played 16 times for Munster (5 starts), for a cumulative 482 mins. He had another three appearances for Munster (c. 200 mins, most of which was at 15), prior to being given the start against Australia. He'd made 3 Champions Cup appearances (1 start), for 117 mins.

That is entirely comparable to Prendergast's numbers at this point - Prendergast has played 18 games, 6 starts for 638 mins. He played three times in the Champions Cup for 69 mins.

Crowley's 5 starts came versus Ospreys, Ulster, Castres, Dragons and Lions.

Prendergast's 6 starts came versus Lions, Bulls, Scarlets, Ulster, Stormers & Connacht.

How anyone logical can claim that is not an incredibly comparable set of experience is beyond me.

• Yeah, absolutely, so if we want to evaluate him on his ability to direct an attack or manage a game, then that's fine. But evaluating him purely on people's uninformed impression/sense of his physical conditioning is utter nonsense.

The reason he's being accelerated is because of the scarcity of viable alternatives behind Crowley.

There wasn't an obvious other candidate to have in this squad - Harry Byrne has fallen away at Leinster post the SA tour. He didn't even make the trip to SA for the semi, and was on the outside by the end of the season. Ross Byrne isn't the answer.

The intention will be down there for Crowley to play deep into both tests (he's still finding his feet at this level too), with likely Frawley covering the bench from a 6-2 split, so Prendergast is purely being brought to get more training time into him and immerse him more in the squad.

The reason he's being accelerated is because of the scarcity of viable alternatives behind Crowley.

And, let's be fair, cause he has shown exceptional potential. But both those things have had to align for this to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Loathe to get into this (and I don't necessarily think it's the wrong option) but there's also the point Crowley was only brought in when there were injuries to Sexton and Carbery, iirc?

Sure, and Prendergast was only brought in cause I think they've given up on the Byrnes. Nothing ever happens in isolation. Though Crowley would have benched against Fiji regardless (which was his actual first cap!)

• Yeah, it's fair, and probably tbh the injury to Frawley too into the mix there, but the difference now is we're over 3 years away from the next RWC. There is time to experiment a little, and bringing in a high potential player as the likely third out half really isn't surprising to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The one positive with 10 is that there's a good age profile (if not the depth). I think we need to see some flux elsewhere tho, made this point previously:

Aki, Henshaw, Lowe, JGP, Healy, VdF, Beirne, Murray, POM, Bealham, Conan, Furlong. That's a huge core of guys that are all 30+. We need to start seeing some flux to freshen it up.

• Advertisement

• Yeah, I agree.

At centre, all of Henshaw (31), Aki (34) and McCloskey (31, 32 in Aug) are getting on a bit. Even Ringrose is 29. Osborne might get a chance in SA, but would be very hopeful that guys like Hugh Gavin and Jude Postlethwaite can deliver on their potential and come through.

LHP is the obvious position of concern. There is something farcical tbh on Cian Healy still being part of the squad. It seems they're trying to shift O'Toole to LHP, and hopefully that goes well, but other guys are struggling to emerge there. High hopes for Jack Boyle at Leinster to step up next season.

I'd be hopeful there will be some evolution in the squad in the November internationals.

Three more starts not behind utterly dominant packs for the most part including a win away against the years top 14 champions

Plus an emerging ireland tour and an ireland a game versus new zealand that youve not included

I don't think it's a particularly bad age profile to be honest. Furlong and Bealham I wouldn't be too worried about age wise at their position. Obviously Healy is a concern but they have brought TOT for that reason.

POM will be phased out soon enough and there are several young players in this squad already in the backrow. Of all the spots I just don't see the need to worry here at all.

Second row is fine - Beirne will keep playing as long as he is our best lock, but its not like there aren't young locks in the squad so I don't see why there is anything to be worried about.

Centre is a bit of a concern alright, but even then they are starting to integrate younger players like Osborne.

The only real concern there is scrumhalf, and the competent younger players simply don't exist. A lot of is going to be riding on some coming through at the provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The 'Flying Fijians' took flight against Carbery

and a sniper took out Sexton in the warm-up

a young whipper snapper came to the rescue off the bench to kick a penalty.

Where are you getting 3 more starts from? He had the exact same number of starts as Sam does now and one of them was at 15. Also most of Prendergast's starts were rather famously not with an utterly dominant pack as three of them were in South Africa with a shadow squad.

You can argue that Crowley was a better player or whatever, but that their experience is broadly the same is simply a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The more I think about Sam Prendergast being selected as 3rd choice 10 in the squad, the more I think this is just an opportunity to see him in a training camp and tour environment. Farrell and Easterby will be keen to watch him. It means if they have a choice to make in the Autumn they’ll have a better idea of where they stand and he will also be a step closer in his preparation.

I don’t expect him to get any game time, so his position in the squad is much better used than giving it to Ross Byrne or Harry Byrne, as they’ve seen them plenty of times already.

I'd be utterly shocked if he got any gametime, though at the end of the day he is only one injury away from it.

• Three more starts not behind utterly dominant packs for the most part

What on earth has that got to do with it? An utterly nonsensical point.

Your inability to admit when you're incorrect on basic facts (like denying Crowley and Prendergast have broadly similar experience at the relevant points in their careers) and consistent need to just dig down on your own point makes this tiresome.

Prendergast played in Europe against Sale (at the time they were top of the Premiership, and had been finalists the year prior), Stade Francais (at the time 2nd in the Top14) and Leicester Tigers.

Your bias is simply not allowing you here to see the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Tbh, any assessment of Prendergast - good or bad - is massively limited by the sample size of what we have seen. And Farrell knows this too, which must be a huge reason to bring him on tour and get a really good look at him, just like he did with Crowley on the EI tour when he had such a thin CV at Munster.

If it works out, great, we get another look at him in green in the Autumn. If not, then at least we've learned something and he goes back to Leinster to develop some more.

I would add that we shouldn't forget he was in the training camp during the 6N.

• Final point on Izuchukwu - and once again, to be clear, I'm not criticising his inclusion, but the progress he made to make it into a full Ireland squad is the thing that is actually really remarkable.

He's a 24 year old who played multiple AIL games this year for Ballynahinch (as recently as Round 12 - in late Jan), so he was fit and eligible for selection and simply not being picked by Ulster.

As recently as January you had people in the Ulster thread bemoaning the fact he had been given a 3-year deal with Ulster, stating he was "certainly behind Harry Sheridan" and noting how he hadn't progressed and how disappointed they were with how few minutes and opportunities he'd gotten (read the posts following this one):

Obviously there has been a coaching change since then which has been significant, but even as recently as April I think people would have thought you were mad if you touted Izuchukwu for inclusion on this tour. He's still the far more surprising inclusion here if you step back from it all than the guy who is one of our most hyped prospects in years at a position of need.

I mean youve not really acknowledged the emerging ireland tour or nz xv games either. If you feel that sale team was of the quality your suggesting then fair enough i dont no need to accuse people of bias though because they dont agree with you

• See this is what is confusing, because plenty of you want to claim on the one hand that the EI tours are pointless games against terrible opposition, but now apparently those games against the Griquas etc are the defining difference that means Crowley had enough experience to warrant inclusion at that time, but Prendergast doesn't?

That Sale team was sitting on top of the Premiership at the time - that, once again, is something called a fact. Castres, when Jack Crowley played them in Jan 2022, were sitting third in the Top14, but had already lost two games in Europe (they went on to lose all four). You've called them Top14 champions a few times, but they lost the final that season, and the team Munster beat was heavily rotated (only three starters played v Munster and started the Top14 final that season).

• Advertisement

The EI tour games are meaningless, it's about the squad environment, something Sam at least has already been in during the 6N.

The A game against NZ sure but he was only playing in that cause he was already in the Irish squad for the autumn.

Sam is unlikely to play in South Africa, but if he does it remains a simple fact that his experience is broadly similar to Crowley's and if and when he does play in the AIs he'll probably have more.

And the sale team was heabily rotated but youve not mentioned that 🤔

Im happy enough to ignore the emerging ireland tour if your opinion is that its was a waste of time but id thought tbat was not the case

If people feel their the same thats fair enough we will see how sam goes if he gets time vs sa, i hope it goes well for him

• Yeah, but I'm not the one claiming anything special about it. You're the one over-talking the Castres game up.

This is how this discussion has gone :

I said: Crowley had very little material difference in terms of experience when he was given the start against Australia

You said you disagreed with that, but provided zero colour or analysis to support that.

I provided you with the statistics to show there is negligible difference in their starts, minutes, European appearances etc at the points we were discussing, and your response was some unintelligible thing about dominant packs, and then a made up piece about him winning away against the Top14 champions.

When those stats didn't serve your argument, you now claim the real difference maker was 33 mins off the bench for Ireland A, or the EI tour games. If that is really the sole extent of what you're basing your argument on then grand, but to me it's more than a bit of a reach.

Once again here - I'm not trying to do down Jack Crowley or claim he didn't deserve the opportunity he got when he got it, I'm just asking for a modicum of consistency in how we approach things.

Sure if you dismiss anything iv suggested then your likely to come to the conclusion that you where correct

• Advertisement

• You're not providing anything to support your opinion, just your own views, which I do think are less relevant than the facts I provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭ersatz

SA have insane depth, its a much bigger rugby population.

Sure 3 more games played, more senior mins, an emerging ireland tour and an ireland a game arent facts. Lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I really enjoy reading your posts; well thought out and backed up with facts. You’ve also got the patience of a saint. Great poster.

• If you're going to claim things as facts then please, at least, get them correct.

Before getting capped for Ireland, against Fiji, this was how many games Crowley had played for Munster:

16 total games, 7 starts (incl 1 at 15), and 682 total mins.

As of right now today, for Leinster, Sam Prendergast has the following:

18 total games, 6 starts, 638 mins.

At the point when Crowley was selected for the EI tour he had played 5 games less than Prendergast, had 1 less start and had around 156 less senior minutes. Nearly a third of all of Crowley's senior minutes had come in a three game span between the EI tour and the Fiji game.

There is absolutely no appreciable difference there, and the only other defining things are the EI tour and 33 mins off the bench for Ireland A.

If you are claiming that Crowley was sufficiently experienced to warrant an international cap but are saying Sam Prendergast doesn't have enough experience to justify even being in the squad then you're being a hypocrite.

Ok so their the same and im a hypocrite 🤷‍♂️

But then we agree the emerging ireland tours a waste of time.

And we both hope he gets a chance to play on this tour because he is well able, hes proven it with his equal levels of experience with jack crowley when he was capped absolutely nothing to be concerned about with himget him on the pitch

• Emerging Ireland tours are useful exercises to give young, emerging players a chance to impress the Irish coaching staff, to learn the Irish patterns and systems and to see how they thrive in that kind of international environment. Clearly the quality of the opposition they play doesn’t tell you a huge amount.

This is just being pretty classically disingenuous and not worthy of responding to or engaging with any further, thanks.

If someone says he lacks experience their a hypocrite but if i say hes good enough im disengenious.

Good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe Sam P gets minutes and we'll see what he's about? No point pissing into the wind if he's inexperienced, if he's good enough, he will play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement