Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

American far right scum and Irish far right scum …. all the same …. I condemn all far right filth and would gladly deport them to another planet …. billions of miles away …..

Irish far right lowlife is just a copy of the American version …. since that 2016 election all of them copy that …. with their Ireland First and so on ….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Far left are just as bad mate. Extreme zealous individuals. Where the hell did this form of thinking come from. Can people not assess and logically solve problems. No either one camp or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Never said it went against the Lisbon Treaty.

The only reason Lisbon passed was because of the concessions. If the government is going to opt in by default, what was the point in the concessions? Essentially we want to decide but the answer will always be yes? I do not think anyone in 2008 would have envisaged an immigration pact as radical as what is proposed.

You can argue that the people had a chance to reject this in the local elections - but as this has no affect on either house this is not the case. Yes we voted for the houses to decide, if the government decided we should have a vote, this would be perfectly in line with what we voted for.

You can argue that the government technically do not have to offer a referendum, which they do not or that we cant have one because it would be divisive etc etc. But when we have half the government led by a man who "rejects a backward looking idea of sovereignty" and would crawl over broken glass to get a pat on the back from the EU why would we expect anything other than an opt in from either house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

it’s astounding to me that someone is arguing that budgets are the same as this ‘pact’. The budget is fluid and can be changed on an annual basis. This ‘pact’, by its very meaning of the word, a formal agreement will be irreversible and will have huge repercussions. Something that those in favour of it are not honest about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Oh fun.

My team good, other team bad

Keep chasing those windmills buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Augme

I didn't realise you were a mind reader. If we wanted to automatically opt out of the people would have simply stated that and rejected wording that didn't state that.

What does opt in by default mean? They are opting in becuase they feel it is the best thing to do. That's why they were elected, to make decisions on behalf of people. That's how democracy and politics work in Ireland.

People had the chance to reject the MEPs who voted in favour of this pact, they didn't. In fact, they pretty much did the opposite.

MEPs who voted for the pact in Europe

Sean Kelly - reelected

Marie Walsh - reelected

Barry Andrews - reelected

MEPs who rejected the pact

Clare Daly - not re-elected

Mick Wallace - not re-elected

Grace O'Sullivan - not re-elected

Luke Flanagan- re-elected

Chris McManus - not re-elected

If people were so against it, seems very strange to re-elect the MEPs who voted for it. Especially given how, allegedly, hugely important it is.

No, it woukdnt be in line with what we voted for. We voted for the TDs to decide and put that into our constitution. Holding a referendum on all immigration pacts was not what we voted for.

There's nothing technically about it. That is the facts of the situation. The voters of the Lisbon Treaty voted in letting the TDs decide in future EU deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DaithiMa

Have you looked into the details of the pact? I'm surprised someone of your political persuasion is so keen for us to sign up. One Spanish NGO representative Helen Maleno has said that:

"The EU Migration and Asylum Pact adopted in May is basing this business entirely on commercial foundations.

“This pact will especially increase illegal child traffic and increase deaths. This is very clear,” she added.

Are you in favour of this happening?

Love him or loathe him, Michael McDowell has also spoken about the repercussions of this pact. I’d definitely trust him and his knowledge of the law over Helen McEntee. She described it as a ‘game changer’

Left wing used to mean questioning authority and government. Now it seems to be ‘the government make the decisions and there’s nothing you can do’

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No matter how many instances of tragedy like this it won't stop the flow of migrants from Africa, middle east and Asia and won't stop people from risking their lives to escape the country they came from..

• Advertisement

I have. Tbh, I'm surprised the anti immigration brigade aren't all over it in support. It seems to include a huge amount of what they have been crying out for.

I'm not a fan of it and woukdnt support it. But I also believe in our system of democracy and don't think that should be changed just to suit individuals. I've no interest in spending all my time going to the ballot box to vote on every issue just beucsse I don't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Only until the decisions go against a "minority" or against the usual weird tropes. Then you see how quick the abuse and aggressive rioting I mean protesting begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Let's not forget that on that occasion we were essentially told "go vote again and give us the right answer this time!"

I'll say it again. As a trade body and employment enabler the EU works well, but this ongoing and increasing encroachment into matters of national and constitutional policy is and has been a serious concern for a long time now.

It was very much concerning during the financial crisis years when Ireland was essentially blackmailed into accepting the "bailout" (at a cost of loading massive debt onto the citizens of this State). The treatment of countries like Greece (who whether the Germans liked it or not were still supposedly equal members too) said a lot about how the EU is run and the two-tier system that exists.

I'm not suggesting an IrExit, but we definitely need to reexamine our dealings with our EU "friends" and start looking out for Ireland's interests first - just as other member states do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

These anti refugee fanatics and far right should all be deported well said .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agreed.

The country is about to abrogate our right to control our border to a third party. This will have ramifications for decades to come and shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't try the same patronising note again and again with the same old trotted out view that if only there were 'honest and factually informed debate people will see the fallacy' … blah blah

Just maybe consider for a moment that others have factually informed themselves and decided that we have a problem………. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Andy Ngo is in Dublin and was told by an asylum seeker to go back to China.

Also NGO worker instructs them not to talk to the journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So what are suggesting? That you start rounding up your neighbours and in laws and deport them to the USA?

That is, unless of course you live on Aylesbury Road or out in Greystones etc. I suppose there would be people of this view residing in these type of salubrious places.

You couldn't make it up. A migrant shouting at someone who isn't Chinese to go back to China just because he's Asian. Will the NGOs be up in arms about that display of racism?

By all means show us any election manifesto from any party that included opting into this?

What do you think it means? The government were always going to opt in. The party whip means our TD's do as they are told, whats best for us does not come into it. Given the calibre of politician currently in government I highly doubt they could decide what day of the week it was without being told.

What would not voting for them do now? The pact had already been adopted by the EU parliament and council. Even if we voted none of them back in the government would still be voting yes to this.

Not that it matters, you will get your pact. Looking forward though to the excuses you come up with when it gets shown up to making things worse for us. But its all good, the government will get to wash their hands of the immigration problem and just blame it on EU laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

where did he film?, can't place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No, it’ll be our fault for making him - something about feeling unsafe so his only option was to lash out ..

Near the Hilton on charlemount street apparently

Careful with comments like that, poor old Martin might have a coronary, given how allergic he is to even a whisper of something as evil as sovereignty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

As you can clearly see in this video, these aren't mostly men and are clearly legitimately fleeing persecution just like our fearless leader said during the week. It's racist xenophobia to suggest that the gangs of mostly men all over the city aren't women and children.

Just pretend you can't actually see the reality and there's zero problem at all with ploughing ahead as we are.

All the MEPs who voted in favour of this were relectdd a few weeks ago. What does that tell you? Clearly if people were so outraged by it, they woukdnt have been reelected.

Again, as party of the referendum on Lisbon treaty we agreed to decisions go to both Houses for a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I oppose the pact but theres no way I'd vote for the likes of Daly, Wallace and Ming just because they oppose it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This guy seems to be some sort of US based right wing / far right activist (funded by God knows whom), rather than a 'journalist'. He describes the Irish government as 'corrupt' in another recent tweet. Nothing wrong with any of that of course, just as long as people are aware of who he is and what his agenda is i.e. he's not here to report on anything, just to push a particular viewpoint.

Are you able to show an election manifesto from any party that included opting into this pact as brought up by @twinytwo ?

• Advertisement

He is a journalist and he's reporting on tent city which is more than can be said for a lot our own journalists

Advertisement