Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He was absolutely blessed with the teams he got in the knockouts in 2020. A piss poor German side, Ukraine and Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,131 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's pure nonsense.

No country wants his record. They want the players he has and would expect a lot more than heroic failures with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cassano had the world at his feet with the talent but as you mentioned he was fecking mad.

Immobile a few years ago liked the real deal but again kind of fizzled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Most nations would also love to have the talent available that England do.

They had a bunch in the early 00's but since then it is players who were just good club players or guys who never reached their potential like Balotelli

That team had Del Piero, Toni and Inzaghi. All world class and they would kill for just one of them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Here are the latest odds from Betfair, just to see who's moved.

4/1 France, 9/2 Germany, 5/1 England, Spain, 13/2 Portugal, 16/1 Netherlands, 23/1 Italy and 30/1 Belgium.

Its 85s and bigger the rest, so if you fancy the Danes lump on. The 4 in bold have all impressed me thus far.

Certainly looked better than England and are 17 times the price! I presume the pathway through impacts that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair point. But Portugal, France have more I would argue. To be honest I think the English fans and media just get notions even at the worst of times. They almost assume it is a given "England Expects" etc. Now there is even more expectancy than usual.

I realise England are in an easy group but it reads 4 points, unbeaten and only one goal conceded. Which was a a low percentage shot from way out.

It is a funny thing what perception is. The likes of Brazil 82 and Holland 74 are lauded as great teams. They played attractive football yet won absolutely nothing.

But England seem like a harder team to beat than that Brazil team and Holland team. If England played expansive flair type football and was more likely to lose. Would the English media and negative critics of the English team be happier?

But yet Greece won the Euros in 2004 by been functional organised and playing to their strengths. Direct and no messing high energy. Denmark 1992 were functional plus a bit Laudrup flair. When Portugal won in 2016 you could hardly describe them as a "flashy" team. They ground out results at times. Third in their group with three draws. Knockouts involved plenty of penalty shoot outs and the ET wins. When Italy won the last time they were dependant on nous/defensive solidity and those wingbacks.

I still think tournament football suits Southgate his teams do not blow teams away, but they manage to stay in games. That can get you very far in tournament football. It all depends on your perception of it.

Edit - Brazil 82 NOT 70!!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

You can't win much more emphatically on the biggest stage and with the type of quality goals than Brazil did in 1970.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

According to most of us he was inept before he got the job and he's done nothing to change our opinions. His previous attempt as a manager was very poor before he went into the England set up.

England have had an incredible amount of great players for the last eight to ten years. What they have right now is the best they've ever had. When you look at who wasn't brought, Branthwaite, Chilwell, Tomori, Maguire, Henderson, Madison, Grealish and Rashford. How many squads could leave any of them at home?

Iain for everyone to see that the tactics are all over the place and not suited to the players he has

• Advertisement

Tournaments from 20 to 50 years ago are pointless comparisons. When Greece won the Euros the sport was in a very different and more cynical place tactically.

Giving up possession now like England do is just inspiring confidence and giving chances to teams England have on the ropes. No way should they sit back at 1-0 and it should rightly be criticised. Their own recent history proves that they need to push for 2-0 because they keep ending in draws or worse like Croatia in 18 or Italy in 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When England lost to France they were disappointed, but there was an understanding that France were a good team and it wasn't necessarily anyones fault.

The problem now isn't losing games, its that it is very clear to all and sundry that the manager is making a bollocks of this. The very obvious things that people predicted are coming to pass, the problems people were pointing at weeks ago are still problems today. The team looks like a disjointed, horrible mess.

Thats why "top of the group" isn't holding water with many. They may be top of the group today, but they didn't come to win the group, they came to win the tournament and that isn't happening with this mess.

So I'd say its not expectation, its frustration.

But Italy do it all the time. Sit back soak up pressure nick a goal/be hard to beat. As you have said Italy would kill for an Inzaghi/Del Piero. But would you would still say that Italy have the ability to make it awkward for teams. They only lost 1-0 v Spain had that hard fought win v Albania which looks great now.

That Portugal win in 2016 was very recent and they were very lucky to even get out of their group. Austria, Hungary and Iceland were in their group. And they didn't even get a win in that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Portugal only won 1 game out of 7 in 90 mins at Euro 2016. Every other game was level after 90 mins and some were level after 120.

Do Italy do it all the time ?

Or is that just a perception people have of Italian teams. This current Italian team don't score because they are useless at it not because of tactics. They also did not make it hard for Spain. Spain bottled a load of chances which had nothing to do with Italian tactics.

Their run in 21 is considered a miracle in Italy and they were absolutely on the ropes against England who could have crushed them and any other top non Southgate team would have went for the kill.

I get that you seem to have a thing for Southgate but the criticism is valid.

I suppose frustration is good word from another English perspective. Looking on as a neutral I can't believe how poor England have been to watch.

Going into it I thought England would control games more than they have. While keeping it tight. And relying on the magic from one of their attackers. But their has been no "magic" it is still a slog. I can't understand why Gordan was not throw on direct, runner pace on the wings. He could do what Lamal does for Spain.

But again it is tournament football and Southgate is fundamentally a conservative manager, the idea is to stay in it and be in the mix in the bigger picture.

In the WC 2018 England relied on set pieces and keeping it tight. Similar in 2020/21 Euros. I am not sure Southgate has it in him to offer much more. He is basically the type of style and management I think would work well Ireland. Functional, conservative, hard to beat.

Italy still do it in tournament football though. I had them tipped as winners in the last Euros because they were in a nice group and knew Mancini's style would suit tournament football. The wingbacks were great.

Even the best Italian sides would normally shut up shop at 2-0 because it is in their culture. I think that is what Southgate would be happy with. Nothing flashy, low risk football.

I'd have England ahead of Portugal. Portugal also have a very good squad. France are the best, it's very close.

There should be more expectancy than usual. They've a brilliant squad of players. If one plays expansive flair type football, they are also more likely to win. There's a reason sides like Greece and Denmark have inly won the Euroes twice in 50 odd years. It's not a style of play that is conducive to consistently winning.

Also, I dont think England are defensively solid either. Denmark had some great chance last night and opened England up a few times. And that's Denmark, not exactly world beaters. There defensive and goalkeeper is their weakest position, normally one play to the strengths of a team, not to their weakness. If their goal is to get far and not win it, I agree that Southgate is doing an excellent job in that case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I dunoo about "world class" man. Inzaghi was a great goal scorer and del Piero was absolutely world class, but not a real goal scorer. Toni was a big ol lump, I don't think he was really any good.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

I think it should be change to "boards expects" instead of England expects! 😀

As for England I suppose you could call Southgate both a strength and a weakness?

When looking overall at teams in tournaments I normally look for teams that can grind out results instead of the favoured teams. But in this case I think France are capable of doing both. Which is very rare, I think. If Mbappe is back hard to look beyond them. Portugal I don't know they have loads of options. But there has been some argument that Ronaldo is holding them back and should be benched.

However the fact that France/Portugal have won international tournaments relatively recently. There is less pressure on them because of that.

England are like Mayo in the GAA the long famine, the enormous pressure, and the hope that THIS year could be the year. It has to weigh the manager and the players down when it comes to the crunch in the do or die situations. If England won the Euros in 2020/21 I think they would not be playing as uptight as they are now. Less pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I switched to BBC the other night to get away from the RTe analyst (can't remember who) to find a female commentator on the Portugal game. No problem with that until Ronaldo got a half chance. She screamed as if she had witnessed the second coming - I had to switch back to RTE.

• Spain looking good too. Interesting to see how far that 16 year old goes. Silly Cunningham jokes aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

BBC RED BUTTON on satellite is worth looking up for a kit of games, less hysterical commentary. Ignore the experts at half time, go make a cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Amazing to think that England's front 4 and their replacements scored well over 100 goals between them this season, and so far have only been able to muster 2 scrappy goals from deflected crosses, the second after a huge lapse in concentration from the full back.

If Southgate doesn't get this sorted soon it could be one of their most disappointing tournaments in recent memory (second to 2016 maybe?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barca will crock him fast. 16 years old and made 50 appearances for them last season

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Ya at 2-0 which is exactly what I said Southgate should do.

But he shuts up shop at 1-0 and it keeps costing him.

Straight of of Luca's Wikipedia.

"with 322 career goals, he is currently the fourth-highest scoring Italian player of all time, second only to Alessandro Del Piero in the post-World War II era"

Del Piero is second in career goals for an Italian. Not bad for a "not a real goal scorer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The ironic thing is that the problem isn't Southgate being conservative.

His entire time as manager he stuck with the likes of Philips and Henderson in midfield, 2 players protecting the back four and it served him well. And he also stuck with the likes of Sterling and Grealish when the media were crying out for Mount or Foden to be forced into the team, his insistence in staying with a balanced side was one of the things I respected him for.

Then, 8 years into his reign, right before a major tournament he decides to throw it all out the window and bow to all the media heads shouting that Foden and TAA are world class and need to play. He decides to ignore balance and force them into the team despite it being clear as day why it would be a bad idea.

Southgate quite rightly ignored TAA for years and then throws him into midfield at the last minute. Its hilarious.

The conservative Southgate would never have done this. He would have stuck Gallagher in midfield, Grealish on the left, Foden on the bench and he would have been far better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Southgate just doesn't seem to trust his players to go for the jugular. At 1-0 last night, Denmark stormed back in as if they were a PL team trailing to a lower league side in the cup.

There was no composure in the English side and some these are highly-successful club players who've won the biggest tournaments, they're not newborn lambs.

I can only imagine Southgate's message is get ahead and let the other team wear themselves out, which is a decent approach as a smaller nation but he is blessed with an incredibly talented bunch of players; he doesn't need to do that whatsoever and I believe his insistence on that approach is undermining the player's self-belief.

Even the Denmark game in 21, having overcome the mental block of beating Germany, they were lucky to win it and they never believed they could beat Italy.

FWIW, I'd be between Spain and Germany for favourites so far, though I don't feel either have had serious challenges yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

To be honest, you can look at most tournament winners and think did they deserve to actually win it?

Along with this quite lucky Portugal win above, Italy won two penalty shootouts and another game in ET in the last Euros.

Argentina lost against Saudi Arabia and then got 5 dodgy penalties in the next 6 games as well as winning another two penalty shootouts themselves to win the world cup.

Margins between success and failure are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Southgate's never been a fan of Grealish… Jack has only ever started one tournament match, and that was just in a 3rd group game with the next round already assured.

He's predominantly gone Saka and Sterling as his two wide players from 2020 onwards, with Foden being his next most used wide player in tournaments. With Sterling's form being especially bad, he's just followed his usual pattern of going for Foden next up. Gordon would probably suit the system better as is, as the only guy they have who will play in a similar way to Sterling - particularly since they're already stuck with a fullback that can't overlap on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The aul lad said last night, Southgate plays like a manager trying not to lose rather than trying to win. England's strength is in attacking areas, they simply can't afford to sit back if only a goal up. There defence isn't good enough to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I blame Alf Ramsey for crossing that funeral on the winner's procession in '66. It was all downhill after that. Only Geoff Hurst alive from that team, if we are following that "logic" to its natural conclusion !!!!

Good goal, delighted for Ukraine. They've shown flashes of real quality on the break. Lovely build up and finish there - though the defending was fairly poor alright, leaving a man unmarked on the penalty spot for the pullback.

Bringing Yarmolenko back into the starting lineup has helped a lot. Think they'd be better off moving Zinchenko into midfield though, bit of a liability at LB, and has shown himself to be quite a decent ball player in the middle before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That co commentator on the Slovakia Ukraine game is clueless. Within two minutes he said Dovbyk "didn't have the right mentality" to score that headed chance despite the ball obviously being too high for him, and then claimed Mudryk "looked really good playing in Germany" despite having spent his entire career playing in the Ukrainian league before going to Chelsea

He'd actually started looking half decent under Poch in those final months and all - the stability of starting week in week out in an established partnership with Palmer, Jackson and Madueke seemed to help him.

Back to square one at Chelsea again now though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yaremchuk - their star performer in the last Euros - gets the potential winner! Great slightly speculative long ball, and then fabulous touch and finish.

Delighted for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I belie this is the last 2 p.m. kickoff? Always a slight sadness for me when the heaviest rotation phase of a major tournament ends…

There's one more 2pm tomorrow, Czechs against Georgia - then we're down to only 8pm kickoffs for two days!

Have RTE mastered time travel on top of their other accomplishments? Their group E table there was showing Belgium & Romania have played 2 games. Might go off and lump my live savings on a draw in Belgium-Romania…

• Advertisement

well that’s embarrassing.

I always thought Del Piero was more of a number 10. Didn’t really score many goals for Italy.

Toni, I’m shocked at that statistic. I wonder what it says about the Italian league. Toni scored 16 goals for Italy. That’s not world class.

they/them/theirs

He only made 45 appearances for them though.

He's a guy who was incredible in the right system. Like, at 37 and 38 years old, across his 2 first full seasons with Verona before his last injury hit one, he knocked in 42 league goals - including being top scorer in the league in the second one at 38, which is some going in fairness to him.

His spells with Palermo, Fiorentina, Bayern, and Verona were all awesome.

anyone know if lewandowski is likely to make an appearance?

he only made 45 appearances because he wasn’t world class. This is kinda my point. He was good. But not world class. Del Piero definitely was

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Scrappy equaliser by Poland, shot blocked, rebounded kindly to another Polish player who ticks it into the bottom right hand corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Piątek scores on the day named after him

Great chance for Austria on the break to retake the lead, they didn't take advantage of it.

Tony O'Dongohue is an utterly awful presenter. Having him presenting and Kenny commenting is like being tortured. How do RTE persist with the both of them.

Austria back in front. Baumgartner with the finish into the bottom right.

• Advertisement

Should be 3-1 Austria. Poland would have been hanging on by a thread. They still are really, with France in their last game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement