Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Rural FTTH get 2Gb?

Options
  • 19-06-2024 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

FTTH is being enabled in my rural village next week and Eir are coming out next month to connect peoples houses up. I have been following the threads here for a long time and I thought that, due to technical limitations of using GPON instead of XGPON/XGSPON, rural ftth would always be limited to 1Gb? My Eircode is now showing as FTTH enabled on various websites (except AirWire FYI) and most show 1Gb but when I logged onto Blackknight just now its telling me I can get a 2Gb package. Is that even possible or just an error on their part?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The early OpenEir rural fibre rollout was gpon, NBI is rolling out a xgs-pon network.

I assume at this time OpenEir are rolling out an xgs-pon network, if so it'll be down to the retail providers to offer a 2 Gbps product.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭RobiePAX

Vodafone offers 2GB at some areas where Eir offers just 1GB. It seems to be dependant on a retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

No technical reason they cant all sell 2Gig speeds now. However IMHO saying its 2Gig speeds is a marketing exercise. Most hard drives cant consistently write data at anywhere near that speed. Network cables from routers to computers tend to be capable of no more than 1Gig. Not forgetting that no matter how fast the fibre is ,unless the servers at the other end can send data at 2Gig then its excess capacity. 4K Tvs run easily on about 50Meg each. So unless you have about 5 connections hammering the line at max then at the moment 2Gig is overkill. That said this might not be the case in 5-10 years time :) Dammit i feel OOOLLLLDDDD writing this. 8 years ago i was in awe of 25Meg speeds :) 3 years before that it was 3Meg speeds :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

speeds beyond 1gig are currently not available in the Eir rural FTTH rollout areas. Speeds beyond 1gig are available in the Eir Urban rollout as well as Siro and the NBI rollout areas. At some point OpenEir will have to upgrade the rural rollout to speeds beyond 1gig

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The 2gb option requires a different router ie 10gb port and stp+ adapter. The only ones who bother offering this are Vodafone and Blacknight. And I wouldn't hold your breath on blackknight. They still haven't responded to me while VF have already wired me up.

Unless your house is ethernet wired forget about 2gb…I was in the same board but while I was gonna upgrade from 1gb to 2gb the only device currently capable of 1gb is my NAS because its wired directly to the VF router. I need to install network ports both downstair, wire them up to a switch in the utility and add network ports to my PC room and wire them back to the switch in the utility.

forget bout powerlines- they top out at 250megs even the fancy 2.5gb ones I have…and even a wifi mesh system will lose a couple of hundreg megs upstairs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

I dont think I would even need 2Gb, I might even only get the 500Mbps package but I do have a pretty good network that would easily support the 2Gb package. My house has TV aerial coax in all the rooms so I connected the internet from the living room where it comes in to my office on the other side of the house upstairs via 2.5Gb MOCA adapters. They are awsome and I do actually get 2.5Gbps from the living room to the office. I have a couple of mini-pcs downstairs that I backup to the NAS in the office and it maxes out the 2.5Gb link. The 2.5Gb MOCA device in the office connects to a 10Gb switch which is where my NAS is connected at 10Gb and some PCs with 2.5 and 10Gb NICs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

l was looking at those actually. I don't think any of the rooms are wired for extra tv but I must definitely check.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

Just wanted to confirm what some on here said and answer my own question, Eir rural FTTH is rolling out xg/xgsPON and does support higher than 1Gbps. Vodafone are offering me a 2gb package now also.

Advertisement