Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I agree, having 3 of the 4 majors in America is a bit much. It would be great if the 4th major was rotated around different parts of the world, particularly to areas where golf is very popular like Europe, Australia/NZ, South Africa, Japan, Korea or Thailand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,492 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We have one in Europe so if there was one moving it should be to other continents.

And you completely forgot South America where golf is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There is I believe. That's going by Across Golf's (Lou Stagner) data anyway on Twitter. His insights are brilliant and factual.

There's nothing about the 3'9'' downhill being tougher than the uphill at all within facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I put a lot of these performance issues down to Harrington. It was he who it seems to me, started all the pre tournament navel gazing and bluster, only to not live up to it. The sports psychology carry on. McIlroy and Lowry seemed to ignore all that in their early pro years. But sure now listen to them and they're contaminated with the same old guff. Just build themselves up to fail. That's my two cents as a casual observer of golf anyway :)

• Advertisement

Can't be arsed going on a watch party, but this one I found was interesting anyway (although it's not identical distances). You'd know pretty quickly though that the percentages for the same distances would be the same.

This was him answering the following question: 'Which would you prefer to seal the greatest round of your life?

- An uphill 7ft putt for par.
    - A downhill 5ft putt for par.'

that doesn't support your point at all. Comparing 5ft downhill to 7ft uphill is completely different to two at the same distance….

Infact, it disproves your point, as the slope increases downhill, the make percentage decreases

I'm saying that's an example of it. He has noted before that the make rate across a large sample size is almost identical. I can't find it (dunno how to search on Twitter properly).

Of course the make percentage would decrease when there's more sideslope. That's the same for uphill….

All I'm saying anyway, is that without a shadow of a doubt it was a horrible miss. Both of the putts were. But for BOTH misses to happen is brutal. That cannot be denied.

You know the make percentages yourself, so work out missing both of them back-to-back.

Can't be doing a miserable back-and-forth on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

To move a major outside USA will take considerable amount of $$$ Even the open they fly in and out bar maybe a few play Scotland or a few days beforehand around the place. These players don’t need to spend rounds and rounds getting use to links golf in previous eras.

• Advertisement

Ill take your word for it that he said it.

The left hand column isn't side slope, it's how much up/downhill it is. You'd expect it to drop for both. A flat straight putt is obviously the best putt to have.

Yeah, it was a bad putt to miss. Both

The odds for both is something like 1 in 536 (the exact figure is on his Twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Listened recently to Eduardo Molinari who now has a company doing statistics for Pro golfers & did the stats for Europe in the Ryder cup. I'm almost certain he made the point that the stats show than same distance putts downhill v uphill have the same make percentages despite what people think. If memory serves me right it was a Tom Coyne interview on the Golfers Journal podcast where they were chatting about the Pro-ams & scrambles how anecdotally people say downhill putts are more difficult & will often in a scramble take the uphill of maybe a little longer. He was countering that no the stats play out it doesn't matter, the "more difficult" putt is offset by the fact you are less likely to leave it short…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Anecdotally, from over the years and various interviews etc. the Pros prefer a downhill putt all else being equal

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

From 1-3ft, yes, the stats do show similar numbers.

From 4-10ft, uphill putts are easier.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2022/12/08/is-it-better-for-golfers-to-leave-an-uphill-putt-compared-to-a-downhill-putt-127730/

Pros prefer uphill putts because they can be more aggressive and take some of the break out of the putt. I've literally never heard a pro golfer or a commentator on golf say downhill is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

A pro striker, will likely make 100 out of 100 pens in training. But when the pressure is on its on. Look at teams late stages of euros (england) practicing pens left right and centre, no probs banging them in, game day big crowd. Slip up.

It happens in sport all the time. The mark of a real true great is how can you overcome it and move on and win again.

Look at Xander, a week before his Major win he fell off a cliff when Rory took him to the cleaners, he came back stronger.

I belive Rory will win one again, if not, so be it he's given us some fantastic memories.

You're not working off facts there. Only assumptions about the penalty taking analogy.

Likely make 100/100 in training? Against a pro goalkeeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I suppose it's because I'm of my time. I find the language inappropriate, ignorant and unnecessary. Frankly it's just lacking class.

The other clown (Ciarán Murphy) having his "choke" cheap shot on him in yesterdays IT.

The irony of course is that these hacks (Clerkin and Murphy) all have written previously about how great McIlroy is and lecturing us that "we're a strange people, really".

Malachy Clerkin: Rory McIlroy is the most underrated figure in Irish sport

Despite his success and his global reach, the Co Down golfer isn’t universally popular - we’re a strange people, really

"We're a strange people"?? Get THEF out of it!!

These are very same hacks lining up to take the cheap shots now for their headlines and click's. Pathetic.

The actual "real sports writers" like the IT very own golf correspondent Philip Reid doesn't need to resort to their toxic language. Probably because he's a protégé of the great golf correspondent Dermot Gilleece.

Gilleece was Irish golfs best golf correspondent. He was decent, fair and eloquent.

"choke" is a term used freely in American sports. We should strive to be better.

I first encountered it in golf after Scott Hoch's final round at the 1989 Masters. "Hoch the choke". Nasty.

"The 1996 Masters changed my life . . . I couldn't have affected more people if I had won that tournament."

- Greg Norman, on the dramatic collapse which saw him lose a six-stroke, 54-hole lead to Nick Faldo.(Dermot Gilleece)

Meanwhile, the headlines in yesterday's local papers over here were fairly predictable. "Not again, Greg!" declared the Atlanta Constitution, over a picture of Norman collapsing on his back after an attempted eagle chip had grazed the hole at the long 15th. "Shark skinned!" ran the banner headline in the Augusta Chronicle.

Faldo was right in his Sunday assessment that while he hoped the event would be remembered for his best-of-the-day 67, the more likely reaction would have to do with the manner of Norman's squandering - a seemingly unassailable lead. Even the American media were reluctant to give it their anticipated treatment of just another "Norman choke".

Nick Price and Brad Faxon are perhaps the only close friends that Norman has among US professionals. Observers put this down to possible envy of his considerable wealth, or the Shark's alleged super-ego. Yet none of them would have predicted his dramatic collapse on Sunday, from a six-stroke lead to a five-stroke defeat.

One of the first players I met on my arrival at Augusta National early last week was Tom Watson, an acknowledged expert on to course. Who did he fancy to win? Without hesitation he chose Norman. And when the Shark was 13-under-par and leading by six strokes after Saturday's third round, Raymond Floyd took the view that Norman would probably beat the 17-under-par aggregate record of 271, which he and Jack Nicklaus established on the old, Bermuda greens.

Ken Venturi, the former US Open champion turned CBS commentator, who lost a four-stroke lead in the final round of the 1957 Masters, said: "I thought no matter how badly he (Norman) played today, he couldn't lose the tournament."

Significantly, it was only his one-time confidante, Nicklaus, who remained unconvinced throughout the weekend. And he had become decidedly sceptical when the lead was cut to two strokes by the halfway stage of the final round. Asked then what it would mean to the Shark to win the elusive green jacket, Nicklaus replied: "He hasn't won it yet. The challenge of this course is 100 per cent mental."

With those words, the great man captured the essence of Norman's failure. I have always been of the view that the Australian thinks poorly under the sort of extreme pressure that he is certain to encounter in the major championships. He is at his most comfortable when he cuts loose, throws caution to the wind and simply allows his undoubted golfing skills to carry him to victory. As, for instance, was the case in the British Open at Royal St George's in 1993.

But Augusta is a vastly different proposition to Sandwich. In fact there is no more difficult venue in a major championship, particularly the way the pins are set for the final round. And Norman simply didn't have the mental strength to play percentage golf and carve out the level par score that was certain to earn him the title.

Then there was the Faldo factor. I have no doubt we would have witnessed an entirely different Norman had he been paired with any other player on the final day. But Faldo clearly bothers him, perhaps because they are direct opposites in so many respects.

Faced with most USPGA Tour campaigners, Norman would feel capable of overwhelming them through his skill and aggression. Against Faldo, however, he knew that no matter how well he played, however big his lead, the Englishman would still be there, grafting away relentlessly, even if the position appeared hopeless.

With so many statistics in golf it is easy to, winkle out an example to suit a particular argument. But it is nonetheless interesting to note that when they were paired together in the third round of the British Open at St Andrews in 1990, the scores were: Faldo 67, Norman 76. On Sunday, they read: Faldo 67, Norman 78.

Yet, whatever about Norman's amazing collapse, the fact is that Faldo played superb golf when capturing his sixth major championship. He hit 17 of the 18 greens in regulation, his only error coming at the difficult fifth where a four-iron approach actually landed on the green but bounced into a bunker, from where he made his only bogey of the round.

It is also very revealing that he three-putted only once over the four days. Yet, remarkably for a round of 67 at Augusta, he had the relatively high total of 31 putts on Sunday; his singles produced birdies at the second, sixth, eighth, 15th and 18th. The other birdie in his round was the product of two putts at the long 13th.

Asked if he could explain Norman's collapse, he replied: "Not really. I'm out there doing my own thing. I'm in control of my golf game. Once I realised Greg was in trouble, I was getting harder on myself doing everything a little better."

But the Englishman was generous in praise of his opponent, describing him as "a great player; great competitor." Faldo added: "He really is. He's a credit to the game and the game needs him out there all the time." With regard to the major championships, however, he claimed pointedly that being competitive, of itself was not enough. "Finishing them off is an entirely different matter," he said. As Nicklaus had suggested, the challenge was 100 per cent mental.

Meanwhile, Faldo insisted that while he would be remaining on the US tour, he wasn't "saying no to Europe". He went on: "I will also be going back there in September. I'm going to enjoy the best of both worlds, if I can. Britain is still home."

So, after an extraordinary weekend, we are left to ponder the unpredictability of sport which, in 50 many ways, mirrors the unpredictability of life. We thought that Norman couldn't possibly throw away a six-stroke lead and lose the Masters. But, confronted by the ice-cool skills of Faldo, he did ... 84 years to the day since an unsinkable ship, the Titanic, lost the battle with a different sort of icy obstruction, on April 14th, 1912.

By DERMOT GILLEECE Tue Apr 16 1996

I dont think Malachy Clerkin or Ciaran Murphy are hacks. There's plenty of people who called it a choke and if you're calling everyone who used that term a hack, I doubt there's many (if any) golf journalists left.

The irony of course is that these hacks (Clerkin and Murphy) all have written previously about how great McIlroy is and lecturing us that "we're a strange people, really".

That's not irony. Nor are they mutually exclusive things. McIlroy is great but he also choked on Sunday.

It's grand if you disagree and don't think he choked, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There's been some assinine comments here, but this is well up there with the best of them. Harrington stands out as having maxed out his potential with hard work and an incredible mental game (or naval gazing, as you might call it). He has won 3 majors, won 3 of 4 playoffs on PGA Tour, he's won all over the world. At no stage in his early career would people have said "this guy will win several majors". And you're putting McIlroy failure to capitalise on his talent, or his performance issues, on Harrington carry-on? Incredible insight there. Guys like Lowry and McDowell credited Harrington approach and results as the thing that made them realise they too could do it.

We'll I gave an example of one who didnt. He is the actual golf correspondent for the same paper!

And I also gave you an example of Irelands greatest golf correspondent who never used the term.

They are hacks. They build it up and tear it down. Just for clicks.

They don't have the skills to be a real sports writer.

If you cant see the irony in their motives and you dont think the language is toxic…no hard feelings.

I'll leave you with another bit of quality journalism:

In amassing 18 professional major titles, Nicklaus got beyond stage one of the Grand Slam only once. That was in 1972 when he had a three-stroke cushion over Australian Bruce Crampton in capturing the Masters before going on to achieve the same victory margin over the same player in the US Open at Pebble Beach, two months later.

Prior to that, Nicklaus came closest to completing the first two stages in 1966 when he retained the Masters, just as Woods has now done, only to finish third behind Billy Casper in the US Open at the Olympic Club. In 1972, however, Nicklaus could look with optimism towards emulating Ben Hogan's three successive majors, given that the British Open was at Muirfield, a course he clearly enjoyed in victory in 1966.

That was when the Bear joined Gene Sarazen, Hogan and Gary Player as a career winner of all four major titles, an achievement which, naturally, made Muirfield all the more special and led to the naming of Muirfield Village, his creation in Dublin, Ohio.

As it happens, should Woods capture the US Open at Bethage State Park, New York, on June 18th to 23rd, he will be heading to Muirfield a month later with the same objective as Nicklaus had in 1972. And he will need considerably better luck than his illustrious predecessor, if Hogan's treble of 1953 is to be equalled.

Entering the final round, Lee Trevino on 207 led by a stroke from Tony Jacklin, with Nicklaus tailed off on 213. But the Bear remained convinced that a closing 65 could be enough. Trevino, on the other hand, insisted to Jacklin on the first tee: "Jack might catch one of us, but he won't catch both of us." After Nicklaus had reached the turn in 32, his wife Barbara responded to his request for a cold lemonade. "No lime juice: it's dry enough out here without any lime juice," she was told. He figured a 3,4,4 finish, which he had in 1966, could win. Instead, he finished 4,5,4 and lost by a stroke.

Nicklaus was signing his card for a closing 66 when somebody shouted "Trevino's blown." But as the Bear emerged from the scorer's hut, his caddie, Jimmy Dickinson, yelled "He (Trevino) holed a chip for a five!" "What?", Nicklaus reacted in shock to his rival's improbable par from trouble off the back of the green at the long 17th . Then Trevino parred the last. It was all over: Supermex had won, Nicklaus was second and Jacklin was third. The dream of the Grand Slam lay in ruins.

"Hi there," the Bear said softly to his wife. He then kissed her and held her for a moment, before adding: "I was there and let it get away. I felt a 65 would do it. I had a 65 and I let it get away." The chance would never come again.

By Dermot Gilleece Sat Apr 20 2002

• Advertisement

Dermot Gilleece is a good golf journalist alright. I'm not quite sure the relevance of a piece from 1996 or 2002. Did he write one this week?

They are hacks.

It's a matter of opinion we disagree on.

you dont think the language is toxic…no hard feelings.

If Sunday isn't choking, I think you have a very high bar for the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

for your time or not… times change and words can change meanings over time and be used differently. just because a term is used in America, that doesn't mean it cannot become universally popular used and just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean that it is a wrong term to use.

just because someone has huge success and global reach, that doesn't mean they should be universally popular. I mean, someone here previously mentioned Conor mcgregor. he has HUGE success and global reach but I would say is universally unpopular. Some might say the same about Donald Trump.

loads of great sports stars are unpopular, success does make someone popular.

Times change. Class is permanent. Not winning can be discussed and written about it without having to label it "a choke".

And 'universally popular'??

I don't care about his popularity, or any sportsperson for that matter! Whats your point?

I've stated loads of times on here I'm no fan of McIlroy.

He went through a 8 year stretch (29 Majors) without been in contention. I was one of the ones saying he wont win throughout that time.

And now that he is actually contending again the very same hacks (and his "fans") that were building him up all during that time are kicking him when he's down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Honestly, I wouldnt characterise McIlroy's loss as a choke. For me a choke is a sustained sequence of bad shots that are completely out of character for an elite golfer. Rory lost the US Open because he was overly positive. His tee shot on 15 was a disaster; overly aggressive, picked the wrong club as a consequence and put himself in an impossible position from where bogey was a decent score.

Exhibit B - his first putt on 16. Again, overly and needlessly positive, knocked it by the hole and left himself a putt that was missable, no matter your standard, especially on those greens. In fact, if you watch his reaction to the miss, his hand movement was almost a retrospective response to the 1st putt, given that he knew the 2nd putt wasnt going outside gimme distance. And I dont care what his stats were for 3 foot putts this year, every golfer in the world can and has missed a 20 inch putt. It was an anomaly at worst. It was no choke.

I have no real issue with the driver off 18; yes, it deviated from the 3 wood strategy of the first 3 days but I think he thought he needed a 3. BDC had just hit it to 15ft odd on 17, Rory saw it and reacted. Why wouldnt you hit driver, his best weapon all week and probably his whole career, with a pin on a shelf that can only be accessed (without skipping it up) with a LW?

His Masters loss in 2011 was a certifiable choke. Wild long shots, inexplicable 3 putts, brain fried. Last Sunday, he lost the tournament. But it wasnt a choke for me. 1 bad club and an overly enthusiastic approach putt on 16. They are what did him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Irony may be your dislike of the use of what you consider a derogatory term (choke), but repeated use of another term considered derogatory (hack) to describe performance.

Whether you agree he choked, or not, and valid arguments may be made for both, the term “choke” is one which isn’t unusual in sporting parlance. Writers are paid to write, and it would have been unprofessional not to write about and give opinion of what happened last Sunday, no matter how much they might admire the sportsperson.

re: choked

you are missing the point entirely.

He didn't win. You can call it a collapse, pressure, nerves, scar tissue etc.. choke? I know it's common parlance. I know it's origins. I know you like to call it that. I know others like to call it that.

I've given examples of other articles that haven't used it in the past and didn't use it for the US OPEN. see below.

Philip Reid

Tue Jun 18 2024 - 06:00

The noise from the 18th green at Pinehurst No 2 was loud and raucous and drifted its way over the temporary fencing to the car park reserved for past champions just yards away. In one of those spots was a sign, simple and straightforward: “US Open Champion Rory McIlroy 2011″ is how it read.

Except, the space in front was empty. There would be no 2024 added for future years, and certainly not for Oakmont’s staging next year. Those additional digits were headed to someone else, to Bryson DeChambeau.

And the speed of McIlroy’s departure following his late collapse in the 124th edition of the old championship, doing his bit in handing the trophy to DeChambeau, was indicative of the new wounds to be added to old scar tissue.

McIlroy’s rush away, his Lexus promptly packed with clubs and baggage before any of the formalities, for a swift departure to his Lear jet in nearby Moore County airfield, and onwards home to Florida, was speedy and at odds with the funereal mood. Nobody had died but it felt that way, a mix of sympathy and disbelief working its way to a player still in his own world.

On this occasion, McIlroy – the loss clearly too raw – chose not to speak to anyone afterwards. Not to print. Not to radio. Not to TV. Perhaps reasoning what was there to say? Perhaps deciding that it was too soon for a postmortem? Perhaps, simply just not wanting to talk at all.

What didn’t need saying at all was that McIlroy – once again – had come up short in a major championship; 10 years of hurt and angst with no redemption to heal old wounds and the scar tissue spreading wider and deeper.

McIlroy is too good a player for him not to have further chances to win majors, with next month’s 152nd Open at Royal Troon next up.

But the tale since his last win, in the 2014 US PGA at Valhalla, has extended far beyond what anyone expected. There is, of course, still the opportunity to add more majors to his CV and to achieve the career goal of passing Seve Ballesteros (5) and Nick Faldo (6) on the modern day list of Europe’s most successful player in majors. Or not.

Faldo, indeed, was one of those who felt his latest loss would delve into McIlroy’s psyche and stay there. “That’s going to haunt Rory for the rest of his life,” he said.

What we have seen from McIlroy in the past is an ability to get over final round collapses, most notably bouncing back from his 2011 Masters travails at Augusta National to claim a breakthrough major title with his success in the US Open at Congressional just two months later. In between, incidentally, McIlroy had made a humanitarian trip to Haiti in his role as a UN ambassador, where he’d gotten perspective on life matters.

That was then, 13 years ago. The three other majors he added in jig time – in the 2012 US PGA, the 2014 British Open and the 2014 US PGA – have been followed by a barren spell, a winless drought that has extended to a decade. McIlroy’s appearance in Pinehurst was his 37th since lifting the Wannamaker Trophy, his fourth runner-up finish in that time, and his 21st top-10.

If those statistics demonstrate how he has been knocking on the door all those years, there is no doubt that he opened the door himself in the final round on Sunday – starting out three shots behind DeChambeau and moving two strokes ahead with five holes to play – only to slam it shut with those missed short putts on 16 and 18.

Paul McGinley – who was in Pinehurst in his broadcasting roles with Sky and the Golf Channel – claimed it had come down to a “drop in focus” from McIlroy when it mattered most as he headed down the stretch.

“Through 13 holes, he was on it. He was exactly where you wanted to be. And that element of doubt came in. He started second-guessing himself. He started backing off shots, which he never does. He started having an extra couple of looks down the fairway before he took the club back. He started having an extra little bit of time over the putts, which he never does. That’s pressure. And he succumbed to it,” said McGinley.

We don’t know for sure, because of his decision not to speak afterwards, but it is most likely that McIlroy knew all of that. He didn’t need anyone to tell him. He knew, this was the big fish that was caught and was allowed to slip away.

Late on Monday night McIlroy withdrew from this week’s Travelers Championship in Hartford, Connecticut, one of the PGA Tour’s signature events with a $20 million purse.

“Yesterday was a tough day, probably the toughest I’ve had in my 17 years as a professional golfer,” he wrote in a social media post. “As I reflect on my week, I’ll rue a few things over the course of the tournament, mostly the missed putts on 16 and 18 on the final day,” he added.

“But, as I always try to do, I’ll look at the positives of the week that far outweigh the negatives.”

Despite the gut-wrenching loss, McIlroy, who also finished one stroke adrift of the winner at last year’s US Open, said he feels closer than ever to ending a major drought that stretches back to the PGA Championship in August 2014.

“The one word that I would describe my career as is ‘resilient’,” he said.

“I’ve shown my resilience over and over again in the last 17 years and I will again,” he said.

“I’m going to take a few weeks away from the game to process everything and build myself back up for my defence of the Genesis Scottish Open and The Open and Royal Troon.

“See you in Scotland.”

As for your comment about the Irony of using hack. I know exactly why I'm using and it's connotations to golf.

These hacks like Clerkin and Murphy cant break 90. They don't understand golf and they don't care about the game. They don't care about their profession They care about click's.

I've said it earlier and I'll keep saying it. There is an illness in sport.

"choked"

"mental meltdown"

"dweebier"

Toxic language. Clerkin and his like want to bring it there to get their clicks.

They don't write about sportsmanship -doesn't get the clicks.

They dont care about sincerity & honesty in the game -doesn't get the clicks.

They dont care about the great competitive nature that was on display at the US Open -doesn't get the clicks.

Even if they understood that this was one of the great major championships they dont have the writing skills to describe it properly.

They want to boil it down to the cheap and nasty.

The knuckle draggers go with it and the kids of today will unfortunately view sport through that prism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No matter how many articles you quote, in their entirety, I really don’t think I, nor most others are missing your point. An occurrence can be described by many different words, but choke is used at times in sport.

Much as I dislike resorting to the dictionary meaning of words to prove a point, it may be unavoidable in this case considering this has gone on for 2 pages.

The Cambridge dictionary defines the informal use of the verb “choke” as:

(usually in sports) to fail to do something at a time when it is urgent, usually because you suddenly lose confidence:

When reporting on the events of last Sunday, it would seem apt.

As much as you dislike yet you’re willing to go there!

I’ll be honest with you - The use of the dictionary definition clarifies a few things for me. I used to think you were one of the few who viewed McIlroy’s exploits with a rational eye and for the right reasons.

I’ll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Britain has one and we in Ireland are fortunate to have Portrush on the rota, it would be great if some of the other big courses in Ireland had the chance to host a major too. The rest of Europe where golf is popular such as Spain, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia, France etc I’m sure would love the chance to host a major.

Certainly hosting it in South America would be a good idea too and anywhere else the game is growing.

The point being 3 in the one country is a bit much.

• Advertisement

Once he went two shots clear:

• On 14, missed the fairway. A fan stopped it from rolling further and likely into a worse spot. Missed the green.
    • On 15, wrong club, goes long and in a nightmare spot. Makes bogey
    • On 16, plays it well but misses the very short putt for par
    • On 17, misses the green and lands it in the bunker
    • On 18, misses the fairway and misses the short putt for par

That's a mistake every hole from when he got in the lead. For me, that's a choke.

Advertisement