Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Libbock is an amazing player, just doesn't have the kicking consistently. Not sure why SA haven't just given kicking duties to someone else and kept his play making ability

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭eire4

A bit off the current discussions but I am in the US at the moment in Chicago and so last night got a chance to go see a MLR game between the Chicago Hounds and the San Diego Legion. Decent game which Chicago won 22-16 with the star man for Chicago being none other then former Leinster man Dave Kearney. He played the full 80 minutes in what was stifling heat and even kicked 2 penalties as well as been heavily involved in one of Chicago's tries. After the game I was able to get on the pitch and meet up with Kearney and had a nice chat and had him sign an old Leinster jersey I had with me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's lovely to hear. I don't think I ever saw him place kick. Cool to know he's still enjoying himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He probably still can't, but he's a part owner of the team and he's living out a childhood fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Im sure at some stage I have a vague recollection of him taking kicks in a ProXX game for Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

sounds great, out of interest was there a good crowd /atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Top seeding for the Champions Cup usually goes to the tournament champions and the winners of the respective leagues. But if Toulouse win the Top 14 their top seed as European champs goes to Leinster as runners up.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭El Vino

Did the ex Terenure 10 play for Chicago? I think his name is Dooley? Scored 30 plus points for them in AIL final last year.

No he played the full 80 minutes at full back.

• Advertisement

Well the game was on a Monday evening so I would guess that took some numbers off the gate. About 2,000 I would say, with a pretty low key atmosphere. They play in a decent stadium though. Probably about the same capacity as the RDS but they only used the main stand and the views and general condition of the stadium and pitch were pretty good.

There were 3 other Irish lads in Chicago's lineup other then Kearney but no Dooley. Another ex Leinster lad in Nick McCarthy at scrum half Paddy Ryan at prop and the ex Connacht player Luke Carty was out half that started and 2 other Irish lads I didn't know at all came off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Bitter pill to swallow last weekend. Season has been a huge disappointment in the end.

It's still early days but I was never comfortable seeing us move to this South Africa lite style of play. Our attack has really declined with the extra emphasis on defence. I'd also suggest that we are not as fit as we have been over the last 2-3 years but I can accept this could be due to coming off from the peak of a world cup cycle.

It will be interesting to see how the players go vs South Africa.

I saw the team on Instagram (there is a good page who tracks Irish rugby players overseas) - Dylan Fawsitt (ex-Blackrock College, 18 caps for USA) started at hooker, Paddy Ryan (grew up in Cork, at least one brother played for Munster) at tight head, Nick McCarthy at 9, Luke Carty at 10 and Dave Kearney at 15. Jason Higgins (scrum half from Cork, 9 caps for Canada) was on the bench along with Mark O'Keeffe (back three player, from Dublin, ex-Lansdowne).

Good few other Irish players across other MLR games too including Will Leonard, Alessandro Heaney & Niall Saunders (all with LA), Paul Mullen (Utah), Sean McNulty (Miami) & Ronan Foley (Dallas).

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

We have had announcements that Rhys Ruddock is to retire, Ed Byrne is off to Wales, Jason Jenkins back to S.A, Ross Molony, to England and Michael Ala'alatoa to France, but everything has been fairly quiet regarding Charlie Ngatai. I wonder is Leinster trying to get a short term contract until December done to keep him until Jordie Barrett arrives.

There could have been an announcement around Ngatai, but I must have missed it if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ngatai is leaving was confirmed at end of season awards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭50HX

Out of interest what are the 2nd row options for Leinster nxt year now with Molony & Jenkins gone & assuming Snyman as a sub

Ryan, Joe mc & culhane is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Culhane is a number 8.

Ryan and McCarthy starters, Snyman sub and Deeny main backup with COT getting a chunk of time in the URC I guess. It's not super deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We always have Baird as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Soroka (if he can ever get healthy) and Mangan could also fill in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

Mangan is too short in the pro game to play it IMO. Would be really pushing it.

Gavin Thornbury left Connacht at the end of the season, I know he is injury prone but he is a former Leinster academy lad, he went to Blackrock and UCD and is from Dublin. Would be worth a punt to have as a depth piece in the likely scenario that RG Snyman picks up an injury.

I saw him play AIL a few times this season for Blackrock and thought he looked done tbh, he was extremely heavy legged getting around the field. Granted he was just back from injury. I wouldn't be opposed to it; feel like they need another body in there to play URC games.

Ross Molony played 22 games this season (1,081 mins) and Jason Jenkins played 20 games (995 mins). That's a good chunk of minutes to expect RG Snyman, Brian Deeny and Conor O'Tighearnaigh to fill in for.

My ideal replacement for Molony is Ultan Dillane but the chances of him coming are slim to none.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yeah, he'd be a super signing.

Has he been announced as re-signing with LAR yet?

Would make huge logical sense as a signing for Ulster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Speaking of Ross Molony, I heard that Bath signed him on a three year deal which goes to show how highly Bath rate him. Delighted for him and hope he gets every success there.

I haven't seen anything announced about him re-signing with La Rochelle. His contract is due to expire but he seems to be getting alot of game time with La Rochelle so can't see him leaving unless they want to replace him or he wants to try and get back into the Irish set up. If Dillane came in as a Ross Molony replacement, he would still get loads of game time and by the time next season ends, RG Snyman will more than likely be moving on and Dillane would get even more game time.

Ulster have Henderson, Treadwell, O'Connor and Izuchukwu as well as Charlie Irvine and Harry Sheridan. They are fairly comfortable at lock. but if they played him at Blindside Flanker along with Dave McCann and Nick Timoney then that is a dangerous backrow.

I think they see Izuchukwu as more of a 6 now, and I'd rate Dillane quite a bit more highly than Alan O'Connor or Kieran Treadwell. Iain Henderson is 32, so they need to have a plan there too.

I'd love to see Dillane at Leinster, but he would likely be our fourth choice second row, and it's hard to see him being sold on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Soroka is healthy, he should get time. Deeny and C.O.T should be good enough at league level, imo. I wouldn't mind signing Thornbury. He would be relatively inexpensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Would love to get Dillane. I always rated him.

Advertisement