Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Kilteragh

I bit the bullet and changed my plans, asking for a refund on the outward leg of my journey and rebooking with other airlines. I just couldn't be doing with stewing over this for the next 11 days and then finding out that alternative flights were already booked out. Changing my accommodation arrangements would have been too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

20% cancellations because people will work to their contracts?

Sounds like Aer Lingus has a failing business model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Short staffed pilots. Like hens teeth apparently these days across the globe.

Current pilots have been going above their contractual requirments to ensure schedule has been kept going

(My take on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

1. The point you are labouring to make is, using your own words, complete rubbish. Plenty of industries where things happen on the fly, the workflow is dynamic, short notice may be required for big jobs etc. Happens everywhere, not just the airline industry. The way you deal with it is by paying staff to either be on call or to be present in case something comes up. That's not what AL want to do, though, cos it costs money. Instead, they're effectively having pilots on call without paying them for the privilege, which is scumbag behaviour.
    2. "No company whose industry is highly operational"……..what does this mean? Looks like you're throwing words around to appear clever but, ironically, having the opposite effect. Every industry is highly operational. What are you trying to say?
    3. "To assume they haven’t enough pilots because a work to rule cannot be handled without disruption is a flawed extrapolation" Nobody is assuming anything. People are drawing conclusions based on the information being circulated by AL themselves. If everyone does their job and shows up for just their rostered duties without making themselves available for extra-curricular stuff like overtime etc., and that means AL cannot operate a full schedule of flights and have to cancel 20% of them, then they do not have enough pilots. That is a logical and fair extrapolation to make. What other possible reasons could there be?
    4. Your entire post reads like it was written by chatGPT

Companies cut corners and reduce their outgoings all the time. They cheap out on x, y and z and keep pushing the boundaries until they get pushback, all in the name of making a few more quid. everything is grand until it blows up in their face. It's the poor mopes on the frontline who end up carrying the can for the incompetence of the higher-ups. If you need X number of pilots per week, then you roster X and have a certain percentage on standby, it's that simple. You pay a little bit more up font in terms of wages but you make more in the long-run by having a stable and sustainable business model.

People get sick, some of them no-show, kids have accidents etc. You need an extra 5-10% more people ready to fill in the gaps to cover this crap. I learned this stuff in 1997 in McDonalds. If you need 3 people to work the regular grill (buns, dressing and grill for those who aren't in the know), you better roster 4 in case one can't make it. Otherwise, there's no big macs and the entire restaurant gets dragged through the mud. You have to pay another €12.50 an hour or whatever, but you're able to sell an extra 400 big macs that you wouldn't have been able to sell otherwise.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

It would cost me another €600 to change to fr and stay an extra day otherwise it be €1100 to fly same days. That’s 2x2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Flying on Sunday June 30th.. was already considering to move my flight for a few days, so the new flexibility could come in handy and opt for a later flight. Oddly enough the email I received states "Aer Lingus will waive the fare difference and change fee if you rebook to travel at a later date. Any fare difference will be reimbursed for bookings within the same cabin type (Business/Economy) as your original booking.”.

Contrary to Ryanair, where when a flight is cancelled (like in covid) you can login and pick any flight change for free.. the EI site asks people pay the fare difference, and then only asks people to submit a reimbursement request, playing the waiting game as to how long it will take before you’d get reimbursed. This will probably deter people from doing so.

Not great as there is still a likelihood that when changing to a flight a few days later could eventually also be cancelled.. making a mess of your reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Just to confirm EI regional flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It’s not a very well informed track unfortunately.

Bit of a deficit in understanding of how seasonal businesses are run, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

EI498 is cancelled tonight so covering that with 496 I believe

Please do correct any innacuracies.

Is it that there isn't a shortage of pilots worldwide? Or that EI are not short staffed pilots?

• Advertisement

There is no operational oriented company which can sustain operation if staff work to a “strict work to rule agenda”.

They couldn’t compete with pragmatic normal staff behaviour and would eventually the coffers would run dry.

Can you produce evidence that Ei are short of pilots?

A quick google would tell you about the global shortgae of pilots running in to the thousands, what makes you think it's not also having a bearing with EI?

I'm sure someone here will be quick to advise who would be more in the loop that they are indeed short staffed (Pilots)

I could be churlish and ask, can you prove otherwise, but it's not my style

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

"Delayed," isn't really like "overtime".

Pilots Have limits on their working hours, these are European safety limits. NOT contract hours. (Which are a different set of limits)

Pilots can use their discretion to exceed these safety limits in certain situations. (EG, Lanzerote to Dublin diverts into Paris with a medical issue, they might go 45 mins over in order to the customer to Dublin after Paris)

This decision must be documented and reported to the IAA.

With the WTR the pilots will no longer exercise this discretion. However it's a rare enough occupancy.

How many flights from Aer Lingus up to now have been cancelled for the specific reason

“Shortage of pilots”

I don’t need google to tell me what Eoghan Corry told me on the radio this morning.

Published reason and actual internally reported reason are quite different things.

I think you are missing the point here.

EI pilots have been asked to exceed contractual obligations by working days off, not being able to take A/L etc

Why is this?

Realise that… ‘Operational Reasons’ cover a lot of stuff.

However I would be surprised if the reasons for EI cancellations to live flights due to ‘pilot shortage’ up to now would generate internal concern?

I would put it to you that any company working a seasonal operation wouldn’t survive too long if the staff all

expected to go on annual leave in the middle of the high season!

In most operational companies staff interact with themselves and management to work days off if it

suits a colleague , I realise with the pilots it’s more difficult but seems to have worked well up to now

Aer Lingus do offer annual leave in peak season. Was that way 15 years back when I was with them.

However leave is restricted during these times. (May to September). Hence why Aer Lingus staff take approx 2/3s of their leave in other months. (EG. An ex-colleague/mate in EI gets great deals on cruises in Feb, Mar, Oct and Nov. His FB feed is jealousy inducing)

The airline HAS already planned for its seasonality:

Some cabin Crew and ground staff are only on seasonal contracts.

Aircraft maintenance is planned for Jan-March.

Command training and type conversions are concentrated (but not restricted to) the first 3 months of each calender year

As for "operational companies", that's entirely the point.

Interacting outside of rostered hours is a sign of goodwill and flexibility. A competent mgmt strategy would be "ask for a favour but return the favour".

Honestly, I think both sides are being belligerent here. Conpromise is the solution to these disputes.

But the pilots claims aren't unfounded. In a previous post you asked about "comparable companies" (paraphrased). BA pilots got a 20% salary bump less than 12 months ago. Both are owned by the same overall company.

US pilots operating transatlantic flight into Dublin are on far bigger salaries than EI. When I was with EI the stock phrase was "we don't compete with BA or Emirares. We compete with the US carriers"

EG. Jetblue operate their A321 into Dublin.

That's approx $400K+$200K sitting at the front. (They currently use 3 pilots but that will change next year. So I shall ignore that)

Aer Lingus operate the same plane and it could be €100K+€70K. Quite the difference.

The A330 might be €200K + €150K (estimates based on previous posts about EI salaries)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Can someone please help me.

My son and his 6 friends have booked a trip to Croatia to celebrate the end of the leaving cert. They have booked through love holidays and are flying with Aer Lingus on the 27th. The booking was all through the loveholidays websitebut it looks like loveholidays create a distinction in that you manage flights through aer lingus website.

If the industrial action goes ahead and their flight is cancelled and they are unable to get another flight what happens with the hotel etc. Will they be entitled to a full refund of thewhole holiday or just the flight.

I'm devastated for them as they have all worked so hard for LC and have been saving for the holiday all year.

Any advice from anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

There's a few people on FB already saying they've gotten cancellation emails for Cork to Heathrow (one said she got an email last night). From the booking engine, seems like the last flight at night to Heathrow is gone for a good number of those days next week.

Post edited by TheDriver on

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Phen2206

I'm not an expert at all in how all this disruption to package holidays will work, but has loveholidays always stated that flights are to be self-managed? From the moment the package was booked? Or are they only saying this now that action has been announced in order to try to dodge any responsibility for helping you to make other arrangements? If its not clearly stated on the documentation you got at the time of booking then you might be able to argue that they're just trying to dodge the responsibility now?

Someone more familiar with the responsibilities of travel agents might be able to give you better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭AnRothar

I used life holidays before and they created a Ryanair account for our booking and we had to interact separately for the flights.

Suspect Aer Lingus would be similar.

Effectively you have booked a package holiday.

But you will need to read the small print regarding flights vs flights and accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

They have booked a 'package holiday' through an online travel agent, which only arranges the package. Each element of the package is the responsibility of the service provider. You can also book a package holiday through a licenced and bonded travel agent which would give some protection in the event of a failure of some element of the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Don’t buy the US vs IE based pilots argument. For almost every industry within Ireland, comparable salaries in the US are higher. Don’t think a shift leader at McDonald’s in Ireland makes the equivalent as 100k USD+ as they can do there.

EI pilots should consider moving to the US (there’s a shortage there too) and getting that pay package, but then also fork out a much larger percentage of their income on health care and education for their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

See if he can access the flight info via the EI app/website... Can he check in online for example... Can he access the 'manage flight' function? What is the passengers email address for the flight... Is it your son's... Can he add it (you should ALWAYS DO THAT) and mobile number etc.? If it appears as though he has control of the flight, and your son's contact info/email is part of the flight booking on the EI website... It would likely be something your son can handle as if he booked it himself. Ensure they all check the status of their flight in the week/days leading to the flight. If it's showing as cancelled and they have not been notified, then it's time to take action via the travel agent/airline... Enjoy the holiday but keep on top of what's going on... Take action when you're notified or you notice there's been a cancellation. A delay is a dalay... Live with it. Flight status can be accessed via the app/website... Also check flight radar for the incoming flight on the day if travel (dub-croatia)... If it doesn't depart... It can't return... If it's late... Return will be late etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Yes, he can access the flights online through the Aer Lingus website.

I suppose my question is that because he booked all through liveholidays but seems to have separate access to flights will a cancellation of the flight allow him to be refunded for the hotel also etc. There are no alternative available flights with other airlines at present.

Do people have any idea how much notice passengers might get if in fact their flight gets cancellation

• Advertisement

The notice period could vary depending on circumstances. EI may know in advance, or it could be 24 hours. Just ensure that contact details are added to booking on EI site (email & mobile)

They won't be stranded. Regardless if they booked through Love Holidays the Airline (EI) are still responsible for taking care of their accomodation if applicable, flight home etc. Don't be panicking.

Advertisement