Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And let's not forget: not just any bank, but Coutts; a private bank for rich people. The whole "debanking" outrage is as usual, total hypocrisy from an idealogical bent incapable of either contrition or self-reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would say unless there is a specific needs that isn't how conscription tends to work. They wouldn't be truly serving anywhere.

More than anything it is just a waste of time for many and money for the government since all those conscripts will need to be fed and housed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There isn't a shrinking workforce though - both Ireland and the UK have essentially record high workforces at the moment. People aren't going into certain vocational jobs because they can get much better paid and easier jobs elsewhere.

There is zero logical reason for the national service idea beyond appealing to old people's hatred of young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Great Politico article on how much our Government are looking forward to Labour in power

Key quote has to be

“July 4 will be our independence day from stupidity. It’ll be gobshites out and adults in, finally. Finally!”   

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I agree with that, thats why their (the gov) "predicament" if they see it as such is pure popcorn, as a father to 2 teenagers Im totally on board with young people not playing a game against their interests.

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If Ulster's unionists had any cop on whatsoever, they'd be exactly the same.

It just makes no sense on any level. In my experience, the least civic-minded people are the old who only care about what they can extract with a Conservative party that's all too happy to kick all of the cans down the road under the cloak of the triple lock.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is the Tory party who closed all youth services which were actually keeping young men off the streets and developing a modicum of civic responsibility. They literally don't care about what's good for the young and ultimately the country. Result - spiraling violent crime and no police to control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sunak will look back at these five weeks campaigning as a wasted five weeks of his life.

He seemed really annoyed at simply having people ask him questions and not agree to do what he was suggesting on QT last night. He does epitomise that born to rule mindset, ie he went private school then to Oxford, got his degree, earned the money, bought the big house, leads the tories and is now PM so everyone should be doing what he says without question as to have done all that hes obviously smarter and better than everyone……

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He married into most of the money, it seems.

I wonder if there's been some sort of schism or internal conflict in the Tory party so he's trying to burn it to the ground before he leaves. He had his "Ready 4 Rishi" website registered and set up before Johnson's defenestration. I just don't get why he's bothering. Making money is all he cares about. Why waste time on a job that pays barely anything compared to the American financial sector?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There wouldn't be enough in the pot to pay for national service so it could never happen. It would weaken the armed forces too as they'd have to drop their numbers of professional troops yet again to pay to train short-term enlistees who would prefer not to be there in the first place. As previously commented on, it's just another false promise to keep the gammons happy in their fantasy world.

There's always money for things the Conservatives want. It's when the project is aimed at something like poverty reduction that the facile arguments about deficits and balancing budgets are made. Nobody asked if we could afford a new aircraft carrier but we got one.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yet Starmer is committed to replacing Trident but stating there is no money to remove the two-child cap

Because thats what he thinks people like him do. We know hes abysmal at politics and quite obviously hates dealing with the general public so i honestly believe he just has a list in his head that needs to be ticked off for him to consider himself a success and PM was on there, its not that he wanted to be PM, its that it was on his list and it needed to be ticked off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know the talk is about the National Service, but I caught some clips of Sunak being tackled about ejecting the UK from the ECHR and it's that usual mix of astonishment at the brass neck of it all, but also a lack of surprise that his argument for leaving is "ooooh it's a FOREIGN court. Full of foreigners!", then when challenged had nothing to say other than, basically, "did you not hear me say 'foreign' you pleb?"

The only two European states that are not in the ECHR are Russia and Belarus. These are the illustrious ranks he hopes the UK will join. How far the party of Churchill and Thatcher has fallen.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

This could be VERY damaging for Sunak. Its from Jo Maugham (Good Law Project ) on X

"I see that Rishi Sunak is getting very cross about those who break the rules for personal gain. We hold court documents from the United States showing that he, when he worked for his hedge fund, participated in a scheme to evade US securities law."

Oh yeah the guy who asked the question pointed this out: Sunak was utterly unfazed by this detail and like the rest of his performance came across petulant in a real "Sorry you're offended; have I mentioned it's a bunch of foreigners?" Fiona Bruce was also having none of this and repeatedly noted the distinct British hand the ECHR has, from founding to sitting judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭flatty

I don't have any issue at all with the two children cap.

I just watched some of his LBC call in from yesterday, one caller asked him how he can possibly relate to anyone who has to avail of a food bank on a daily and weekly basis when he is richer than the king, he dodged the question and answered simply with "id like to reduce the need for so many food banks". He then fell back on his only positive he can rely on which is what he did during the pandemic which EVERY other minister for finance across the continent also did so it hardly makes him special. He just has no answers when he has to talk directly with real people…..

• Advertisement

Did he also mention the billions of £££ of public money he lost during the pandemic through fraud and corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The UK furlough scheme wasn't even that good.

Companies were informed that they would not receive the government money straight away which meant some companies not paying the staff until the government money came in. I was waiting a few months to get paid for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Until You're in a position where it could affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

it is actually possible to stop yourself being in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭political analyst

As Professor Jane Green (3 h 45 min into the following video) said to Paul Brand, the older voters on which the Tories rely are literally dying. Presumably, this means that those Tories who get re-elected will move their party away from the obsession about immigration and that the Reform party will cease to exist, doesn't it?

Most western countries have the opposite problem, the UK does too but hasn't the cop on to know, but low birth rate is the flip side of the pension time bomb.

Further to my post above about the decision Labour are making, just like the Tories, to prioritise certain things (like Trident nuclear weapons) over child poverty. They are using the exact same fiscal rules as dictated by the Tories

I suspect this really sticks in Rayner's craw. I would expect movement on this, some way into the next Govn't. They are obsessed with not giving the Tory press anything to feed off.

The Newsagents podcast really took Peter Kyle(Labour) to task for not scrapping the 2 child cap last week, he stuck hard to the party line but was not convincing in the slightest imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Farage tells the BBC this evening that NATO and the EU 'provoked' the invasion of Ukraine. Not a surprise to hear him say it and he's probably in synch with most Reform voters (many / most of them have a sneaking admiration for Putin and don't like Ukraine).

Advertisement