Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

The fascist advances have been thwarted!

They have edited the article.

The only mention they missed is in the last sentence, in reference to Emmet O'Brien's decision not to stand for re-election.

I don't know how long the previous version of the article was up, but it was at least a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What was telling was how well the candidates who were exposed on TV did in their LEAs, Butler, Daly and Sheehan did very well, what would worry me is that in 5 years time we will have even more headbangers putting their name in just for the exposure.

The best candidate won, and the win was never in doubt from the moment the ballot boxes were opened Saturday morning, so it was a resounding win, in a competition that had it required a CV application, possibly 3 people would have made the interview stage.

Next time out, managing 15 candidates is just ridiculous, very little debate, I don't know how you'd circumvent it, but nobody was well served in my view.(apart from the local election candidates)

JM has invested in what are very expensive buildings to renovate,the big problem with those buildings is the cost it takes to make them livable, the guy is independently wealthy, he doesn't need the cash, and for that it seems he deserves abuse …the waffle online is from that small, but very vocal minority that were shouting at Moran during the RTE debate is ridiculous….they behaved like children that night, they are still behaving like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Not made with hands

Indeed. This could attract all sorts if there's a chance of being on national TV.

But I'd say RTE will drop it once the novelty wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

You wouldn't sell your house below market rate to protest property prices.

They were going to restrict that panel to the candidates associated with parties. They dropped that restriction because it would have excluded the two strongest contenders. Not sure there is a fair way to do it other than to invite everyone. But yeah 60 signatures and €100 might be a low bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The same people who are calling for Michael O Leary, a successful business man, to come in and run the health service are the same clowns saying Moran shouldnt run the city because he is a successful business man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

It was a monumental mistake to allow councillors to run in the two elections. they should have been caught by Peter. Those that did were obviously doing it for exposure. Conor is on record saying that he spent 90% of his time canvassing in his ward. Himself and Frankie did extremely well in the local election. If things aren't changed for next mayor election what's to stop all councillors and wannabes running just for the exposure.

I see the new Mayor is being crowned in St Marys Cathedral this Friday with invite only attendees. Followed by light refreshments in the splendid back garden of City Hall. Long live the King of Thomond. God bless Limerick .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well it's not really a surprise that it would be invited guests only for an event inside St Marys Cathedral. However the reception afterwards at City Hall is open to the public.

Following his historic election, John Moran will receive Limerick’s ceremonial mayoral chain during a formal ceremony in front of invited guests at St. Mary’s Cathedral, the oldest building in Limerick City. 

The Mayor of Limerick is extending an invitation to the public to join in the celebrations with festivities at Merchant's Quay following the inauguration ceremony. 

It will be a chance to meet the new Mayor of Limerick in the gardens at Limerick City and County Council’s Headquarters and also take a look inside the Council Chamber where decisions about Limerick’s future will be made.  

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/first-ever-inauguration-of-a-directly-elected-mayor-of-limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

its always great that these events are held during most peoples working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think you have hit upon the first change the new Mayor could make.

i personally did not vote for him but I have high hopes, as I would for anybody who won the election. He is much more answerable to the people of Limerick than any mayor was under the old system and has much more power.

Let's see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Short piece from the Irish Times about today’s proceedings and his priorities

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/06/21/john-moran-to-be-inaugurated-as-mayor-of-limerick/

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

He really went for all the regalia! A little bit pompous for the role if you ask me. He's not king of Limerick but an elected civil servant.

Christ Almighty, it's the regalia that every Mayor of Limerick has worn for centuries when they take office (There used to be a mace and a sword too). No matter who won they'd have been wearing the regalia today. The councillors will more than likely be wearing their robes for the first session of the new council later too.

🙄

"But it has been done before…"

The entirety of the Mayoral campaign, we were being told that this is a new role and not a ceremonial one, so why are they using the same traditions?

Not all Mayors wore the robes over the centuries either, I don't think Jim Kemmy ever did. They took them into the museum in 2014. There was a big deal made about them being retired and were not to be used after the merger.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/mayoral-robe-presented-limerick-museum

I wonder if that ceremony is coming out of the 8 million or the council budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

I thought maybe a "real" mayor like this should just have a sash like a French mayor and not the chain and medieval regalia.

They have been regularly used since the merger. Lets have a look at the last 5 Mayors on their inauguration days.

So, they went against the rule brought in during the merger, they should probably have been called on that. Not sure what that has to do with this though?!

Let's just agree to disagree, I think it is a bit pompous to parade around in robes and chains for a role that was touted as a civil servant job, and you think it is fine because of history of another role with the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jim Kemmy definitely wore the ceremonial robe and I think it's fitting for the our first citizen to wear one now.

The Mayor is not a civil servant and I've no idea how you got that from. Civil servants aren't elected by the people and can't be voted out of office by the people. The Mayors salary is set at the same rate as the LA Chief Executive. That's it.

• Advertisement

My phrasing might have been a bit off, but I mean a civil servant type role as opposed to a ceremonial one. We were told throughout that this was not a ribbon cutting role, but one that needed someone with a business mindset to handle the budget and organise a change for Limerick. We can't have a change for Limerick if the role remains the same from the very start.

So because he wore a robe for his inauguration, the there has been no change? Are you for real?

He has 5 years to show what is possible. And if the people of Limerick aren't happy with him after those 5 year, they'll elect someone else.

"He had pledged not to wear the formal robes of a councillor, saying that "While some councillors act like clowns, there is no need to dress like them."" https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/columns-opinion/922035/then-now-remembering-a-giant-in-limerick-politics.html

Okay, it's not that serious. If he is doing the same thing at his inauguration as the previous Mayors, then nothing has changed, so far. Neither of us can see what will happen in five years, but in my opinion (which is as valid as yours), it is a bit pompous to wear all the regalia for a brand-new role that has nothing to do with the previous role. I also don't think there should have been an inauguration at all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

What has that to do with wearing the robes of the Mayor

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

If I remember correctly, Jim Kemmy said something like "Like Matt Talbot, I'll wear the chain but not the robes" but as a city native, I have no issue at all with historical (and harmless) ceremonial procedures being used.

Again if I remember correctly, at the time of the merger (which I still resent- would have preferred a boundary extension), City Councillors were given an assurance that the "City" traditions would survive the merger, including robes for the "Metropolitan" councillors and the title of "Mayor: although a few years did follow when we had a "Mayor Major" for the whole council and a "Mayor Minor" for the Metropolitan area.

You might remember that not so long ago, only the cities and boroughs like Clonmel, Drogheda, Kilkenny, Sligo etc had mayors.

Then the County Councils started to use the title, in one case, understandably because it was claimed that foreign dignatories and investors etc wouldn't have a clue what a Cathaoírleach was, let alone be able to spell the word!

A few years ago, there was a "whole" LC&CC Council meeting at which the rural cohort formed the majority of the attendance and they rammed through a motion to consign the robes to history although that obviously did not happen.

John Moran has a popular mandate larger than any other holder of elected executive office here. I don't grudge him the right to adhere to tradition.

I also thought that his speech this afternoon was excellent, well prepared, well delivered and with compassionate social comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭adaminho

If you don't want John Moran to wear the robes maybe leave them in Frankie Daly's glovebox 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Did he put the chain around his own neck or did he get help ? I remember the great Napoleon taking the crown in his own hands and crowning himself in Notre Dame cathedral in 1804. There was a real french air to proceedings today. Is that the same chain that Frankie lost once upon a time or is it a copy? There were two people wearing chains today in the council chamber. waht is the difference . I know its irrelevant Cookie but just saying .-)

• Advertisement

When do the the minutes of the first meeting get published . I suppose we'll have to wait as long as it takes to build adare bypass or throw down a few paving slabs on o'connell street. or build a few housheens on the Island. If he does anything I hope he transforms the Island into Limerick's answer to Manhattan.

Advertisement