Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

This June has turned in to a bit of a nightmare. Hands are cold. Grey, blustery, rain about an hour away, 13c, N Kildare

There is surely a prolonged settled spell not too far around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Overcast and strong breeze in Maynooth. No rain yet, but I'm sure it's on the way. Much cooler than yesterday, but not cold like last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

MT saying next weekend looking decent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Extremely heavy rain here in carrick ,rain drops are pelting off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Cold front arriving in longford town now. Rain gone from moderate to heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Rain intensity ramped up to torrential for a few minutes before suddenly easing as the front cleared. Can walk from the car to the supermarket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very heavy rain in Leitrim. Absolutely lashing it. Feeling cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After a damp morning in Kerry with little rain around Tralee turned into a fine bright afternoon with a breeze and gallons of fresh clean air.

Pic outside Dingle just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lashing in Sligo for past 7 hours.

13.3c max so far 11.6c min.

Just like December.

Also something neither Met Eireann or UK Met seem to notice is that rain on days like this takes a lot longer to clear the North and West. Why is this? There's a main band of rain and then 3 or 4 hours of residual mist and drizzle. The East and South doesn't get this as much.

Met Eireann just say rain clearing from the West. This is a lazy forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Looks like a squall line running from Cavan to Waterford. Very wet along the border too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I hope I’m wrong but that squall line will probably break up by the time it gets to Dublin, I could do with a decent drop, I haven’t cut the grass since May.

On the plus side there are no weeds to be pulled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

May? What is it, artificial grass. My parents are in Dublin and have cut the grass twice in the last 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Obviously can't speak for the whole East coast but this happens in Wicklow too. Last Thursday was a good example when we had that very wet day. The heavy rain cleared into the Irish sea but lingered over Wicklow for a good while longer than most places. On the radar it looks like a bit of the system gets stuck and it takes a while for it to get dragged away. It's very annoying and happens frequently. Something to do with the mountains maybe I don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

After a miserable morning/ early afternoon in Castlebar its now cleared to a nice evening with sunny spells.

Rain just arrived in Celbridge 10 minutes ago. Hours ago, the radar showed it over us, but there were no actual drops until now. My grass is absolutely parched, so I'm also hoping for a good drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

yes. We got it and so did the hay. Wasn’t too bad up until then. Clearing now but not enough time for the sun to dry things off before nightfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Don't worry fits. Have a beer tonight, shake it out tomorrow, then Sunday is going to be a cracker, and if you can't bale it on a Sunday, Monday looks fine too. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

it’s only 2 fields out of 7 in total so have time to save some nice stuff yet. But a warm week without rain is rare in ireland!

In fairness it seems to happens around mountainous areas mostly like you said. In the Midlands this probably happens less bit its as if Met Services aren't aware of it. They never say rain and drizzle lingering longer near hills and mountains. Why not? Then we wouldn't be so mad when it rains for 10 hours instead of the 5hrs they forecast. To be fair to the Met Eireann app its forecasts have got slightly more accurate of late. It had rain till 7 and it stopped at 730.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Clear skies this morning, looks like its going to be a beautiful day. Looking forward to my weekly long run (well, the end of it to be honest).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭OldRio

Back from my run and it's cloudy with drizzle. 11C. Leitrim.

Exact same as yesterday in Celbridge - overcast, breezy and cool. Doesn't look like there's much sunshine coming. Very little rain in the end yesterday evening, the grass barely got damp.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no sign of summer today anyway, cool and cloudy here in Meath.

Much better day today than yesterday in Sligo. At least its dry and not 11mm of rain like yesterday. 15c also which is almost warm with no wind. But with wind its still freezing.

So far 19 days colder than normal in June here and 2 normal. Zero to possibly 1 warmer than normal. After next week the warmer than normal will be 6 or 7. THANK GAWWWWD!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Warm and sunny here in Dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The sun is finally here in Meath and feeling quite warm but we won't really notice the warmth until tomorrow when temperatures will begin to take off for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭compsys

19º and partly cloudy in Dublin. Not the worst summer's day by Irish standards.

The next weeks looks OK for the East at least. A bit more uncertain for those further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This in Carrigaline near Cork south coast since mid morning. Misting away, though warm, muggy as they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's cloudy enough here in NCD but still nice and warm and when the sun comes out it is absolutely roasting.

Advertisement