Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Iceland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sandymountgreen

I'm here 2 days they are lovely people so friendly so far. I'll update this week hahah could of changed

Very surreal experience over here. I'm really feeling good and loving the move away from Dublin so far. In the area I'm in if you work for a company with a base in Iceland and you have a kinatalla (national insurance number) you get given a card like a swipe card. Shopping, and food eating out you swipe the card it comes out of your next taxable wage. This is lightyears ahead of anything I've ever seen in Europe.

Im never coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd never of even dreamt that. So almost cuts out the bank altogether?

• Advertisement

It's like a federal thing, so even thought we've all cash and money in our accounts we just swipe if we eat out or work canteen or lads go for beers and let it deduct at end of the month. I'm working 17 hour days home sleeping for 6 7 and back in. Money is golden.

I can't complain about anything the Icelandic people are absolutely amazing speak better English then we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is a great uplifting thread. Sandymount I am glad you are settling in well so far. I hope it continues and that you thoroughly enjoy the challenge. Best of luck to you, and do try and send an update every so often. Everyone on this thread is rooting for you. It takes courage to do what you are doing. Hats off to you and all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fair play to you @Sandymountgreen, 17 hours a day!! Work your hole off if it fits well and reap the benifits. Great to see those engineering skills put to work. Great story.

Cheers lads and lasses for a long time due to me own circumstances I felt alone. The little comments here just lift me up so much you guys are amazing you have no idea how a comment can change my day. Thank you chat to you all in a week with some more photos and stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’m jealous. Enjoy yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Absolutely. My daughter lives in Zurich and doesn’t speak German Italian or Swiss and loves her life there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

You now have a meaningful life as your feeling important and liking what your doing .

Feeling good in what your doing with a roof , a job , people to talk to , and making money.

Keeping it up is giving you a new life and congratulations on your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Stumbled across this thread. Great stuff. Best of luck out there. Iceland sounds amazing. I hope you get to travel around a bit too. Also lovely to see the encouragement of others on this thread (apart from 1 mod), this is the way boards.ie should be. Keep us updated on all the various elements of life in Iceland and enjoy yourself.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Im quite jealous @Sandymountgreen

I've been to Iceland a couple of times and absolutely love it over there. No other place in earth like it. Yes winter can be challenging due to the lack of sun, but the cold weather brings it's own unique kind of beauty and changes the landscape totally from what you get in summer.

Extremely well done on your decision to go there. Any change like that must feel very daunting, the unknown is a scary place.

We're all rooting for you back here, and if times get tough we'll do anything we can to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Amazing news, so glad for you. Keep posting.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Great story, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Icelanders are highly educated people who have learned great patience from negotiating the elements of nature. I’ve twice been on a tour bus that turned around back to town to collect tourists who had changed their mind about going on an excursion. There are not many places that would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭gipi

@Sandymountgreen fair play to you, I wish you all the best in your new life.

Look forward to hearing more as the year progresses

Hello from Eskifjordur. So once you get use to sun not setting this place is beautiful. Possibly the safest and most content I can ever remember. This is my little spot I come to chill out. A few of the Irish lads are going to Glaciers out beyond the Fjords this weekend so will take the Saturday off and head out.

Although sun is in the sky 12-17 degree is temps and its a lil harsher then Irish cold. Winter will be a different matter all together. But I'm loving my time here. In the east, bread is baked out door in the black sand at the side of Geothermal pools, everyone knows everyone's first name considering there is only 890 people in our village. I'll get some videos and pictures this weekend to update. I can't recommend Iceland enough the place is a little bit magical. I hope everyone is well at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Looks class. Will be following with interest. You should consider keeping a diary (or a blog if you prefer it to be public) for yourself, I'm sure it would be interesting for you to read back on in the future

• Advertisement

25 meters from my door step is where I took this picture. Icelandic Independence day Monday, or national day as they call it. So parties take place from today in every town and village. In our village there is a "battle of the Sea monsters" so when they say theirs monsters in the water you've never ever seen a monster till you lived in the Fjörds in Iceland. I've seen "Monsters" here already several Greenland Sharks and 3 very large Orcas.

We are currently trailing in Gas mains and pipe bursting and soil testing, in 8 weeks we will be steering a 489km pipeline in the Norwegian sea bridging off into the Arctic ocean and running into north east Iceland to eventually pass through the country to Greenland.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

That is some view to take in for sure and hope your settling in well in your new life over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭coleen

well done I’m glad it is going well for you. As well as saving money you could use any spare time to develop a new hobby which would be good for you. Also things like meditation is great to help with the mind. I think you will learn a lot about yourself in Iceland especially in winter time. Good luck with it all.

Hey Coleen thank you so much really is going well. We are very much so accepted into our community here. Nobody really speaks Icelandic to each other only really the 55 and above bracket. Shops, bars, restaurants all converse in Americanised English.

The place is a little piece of magic the town I'm based in there is only a few hundred in the entire town. I'm the closest town to the Fjords opening out to the Faroe Islands. I'm doing night and day shifts at the minute. I'm planning a year out here, accomodation and food is covered everyday I've spent 27 euro in 2 the last week. Literally nothing to spend on so if I can't buy a home with less then 50k owed on it when I'm home I've failed here hahah.

A little bit of iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I'm enjoying reading your descriptions. Well done for making the move. Looking forward to future updates. Just don't work yourself too hard.

This is one Geo Thermal I won't be dipping hahaha. Thank god flow has stopped we are just waiting it to rock up now. It's safe to walk at the moment. But we got some news in the ground that Katla has started to rise and give activity this is worrying. As if Katla being one of the largest goes off the Largest Öræfajökull would inevitably go off and this is an entire glacier. 100km of an opening it would potentially finish Iceland and a lot of Europe.

To speak to locals regards there outlook on volcanos alot of them just seen it as inevitable the country will become lil more then a rock. They say what is in Yellowstone this super volcano, well what is under the icecaps and glacier in Iceland is twice the size and would potentially life changing consequences for the world. Here is the mouth of another visible from Reykjavik domestic to Egilsstadir airport last week.

Definitely need to mind myself this winter kids come out for 3 weeks next week can't wait to hug them and spend my time with them.

• Advertisement

Advertisement