Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If ya didn’t know the details of the case you’d almost think the CO was discussing Crotty after he was in court for stealing a fooking apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It really is an unbelievable decision. This lady ended up losing her job over this brutes violent assault. Yet the judge didn’t want to send Cathal Crotty to jail as it would have risked his career as a soldier. One of the things that stands out to me is that he didn’t stop until someone else stopped him. He could have killed her. Then went on to gloat to his friends about what he did.

At least now Cathal Crotty’s name has been mentioned up and down the country and all over the media. He will be remembered and should be shunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Correct. Section 110 of the Defence Act 1954

Non-liability of person convicted or acquitted by court-martial to be re-tried by civil court.

110.—Where a member of the Defence Forces is convicted or acquitted by a court-martial of an offence such person shall not be liable to be tried subsequently by a civil court for that offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This doesn't make sense. If he was only reading from Crotty's work record, then how could he express any opinion at all as to whether beating a woman was out of character or not? That's going a LOT farther than just saying that he had never been violent in a work situation. I don't believe you cannot see that.

And does "beating up a woman" form part of the performance evaluation? AFAIAA it only evaluates things that the person has done within the context of work.

He wouldn't presumably have had multiple opportunities to beat up women so his PE should be silent on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

so it seems procedure is being followed.

Soldier who attacked woman has been formally told he likely faces dismissal from the military

https://images.app.goo.gl/dNQgED4VbnNt7otf7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭pgj2015

He will definitely be fired.

The Army wont want to be associated with him.

Good but then was the judge on about when he said he wouldn't jail him so as not to damage his career? Maybe he can jail him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I read through lots of the posts. Overall, there’s a sense of outrage at the lenient outcome of the trial. A person of good character can behave very differently under the influence of alcohol/drugs.

Generally, one would expect a degree of self restraint regardless. You would expect a soldier would have a strong sense of self discipline. The assault on the young woman is unsettling enough. For Crotty to boast about his actions, his civil and moral functioning come into question. His actions tarnish his reputation. His record of good character are nullified by his brutal actions.

The reputation of the Defence Forces -Fórsa Cosanta , as a protective force is blemished by this case. Women considering entry to the defence forces must wonder if such an environment would be safe given that the character of this soldier within its ranks is described as exemplary.

The most exemplary charachter in these events is Natasha O'Brien. One can only imagine how the assault affected her. She is very articulate. A sentence proportional to the crime committed might never bring closure to the ordeal she has suffered. Justice being served would bring some peace of mind to the victim in addition to broader society.

The Judge’s sentencing in this case damages the legal system, the defence forces and our (social) sense of law and order. The victim bears the brunt of the injustice - it must be very difficult to have had her sense of safety compromised. Psychologically, it must have been very stressful to revisit the ordeal through the courts. The lack of proportional justice, like salt in a wound & not the salve of adequate justice served which would have brought healing and some relief to Natasha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Who the hell filled me with the sh1te I posted…

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't know where "obligation under regulations" is actually legally binding or not, but it does seem to be standard practice.

The other side of it is, were the questions as to his character leading, or open? Barristers on both sides would be experienced in presenting in such a way as to have a favorable response to their side.

eg: "When did you last put your hand on your wife?" Any factual answer to that question can be construed very badly.

https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-natasha-obrien-6415861-Jun2024/

On the judge thinking that's the best place for him - I have no idea, I just can't fathom any other reason for sparing him prison time.

IMO he certainly doesn't deserve to keep his job, but on the other hand, he'll now be on unemployment, with you paying for him, as he's most certainly unemployable after the media attention around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

My understanding, and don’t shoot the messenger here, is that there are defence forces regulations laid down for such circumstances by law - I believe it’s still unclear why procedurally, this record was read out - but note, defence forces are no ordinary employer- there may be certain protocols to adhere to in criminal trials - we’ll wait and see

there’s not a fcking chance he’ll stay in the defence forces -he’ll be kicked out unceremoniously - he’s subject to defence forces law now but no doubt there’s plenty of opportunity to throw the book at him - hopefully 10 years hard fcking labour before he’s discharged - but that’s just me ranting - total dream territory I’m afraid - I’d say defence forces want rid of him quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mark25

As someone who was charged with the same thing ang got a 3 year sentence with 1 year suspended I don't understand this either.

There were a lot of things that made this assault even worse. The fact that it was a random assault, in a woman, what he was doing beforehand and then boasting about it. With all that I am sure most people would think he deserved to go to prison. He probably thought he was going too.

The best thing he had was no previous convictions and he was only 20 when he did it. Is it definite he was a soldier back then? I was a bit older and had previous

He probably didn't believe his luck when the Judge said about not jailing him as he would lose his career. If anybody goes to prison and has a job they will lose their job - I did. That's what happens.

I was in the Army too and went to court for public order stuff and there was an Officer there with me so that's pretty standard if you are a soldier. He said just a very short few comments about me nothing bad but not saying I was great either. From what I know about the Army he will get discharged. They get rid of lads for failing drug tests. The Army wont be happy with him being shown all over the place in his uniform. With him probably getting discharged what the Judge said doesn't make any sense.

Have to say though would gate to be him now. Everybody knows his name, his face and where he's from and where's he's based. If he had if been sentenced yesterday probably would have been a small but inline ir in the papers and that would be it. He would just be another new prisoner wherever he got sent to but instead he is enemy number 1.

Despite what we do and how bad it is it is possible to feel really bad about what you did and wishing you hadn't done it. You can feel very sorry for the victim but you will try and do everything you can to stay out of prison or get a shorter sentence. Nobody wants to go to prison.

Given all the controversy I am sure it's not over yet. I am a different person now than I was then and hope I will not do what I did before again and he might be the same

Two to put her down and two to put her out. Still difficult to believe that an “exemplary” member of our Defence Forces posted this after doing what he did.. and a fooking lowlife judge cared more about the career of the toerag!!! Stuff a nightmares for that poor woman, Natasha!

You say you were charged with same thing? Beating a woman (you didn’t know) unconscious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

The constitution is not immutable. There is no reason judges have to be political appointees for life. We could make provision to recall them, to limit their terms, even to select them through election. Independent doesn't have to mean unaccountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He said just a very short few comments about me nothing bad but not saying I was great either.

This just backs up my suspicion that Togher had no legal requirement at all to be so fulsome in his praise. He could have just done what the officer in your case did and say very little, but chose not to.

The thing about "leading questions" is a red herring in my eyes. Togher isn't on trial, he wasn't a witness, there was no legal requirement for him to do anything but offer the bare minimum.

Do judges and their courtrooms have to adhere to DF regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Accordingto the Tainiste's statement, the officer was asked to speak by both the prosecution and the defence. The one could ask "what is the characterisation of the defendants' miltary service record?" And the other might have asked "how does this action mesh with Defence Forces member expectations and the expectations you have for the defendant?" An easy solution to your conundrum which does not seem to be in contradiction to any known facts.

"what is the characterisation of the defendants' miltary service record?" - "It has been satisfactory and without incident to this point."

"how does this action mesh with Defence Forces member expectations and the expectations you have for the defendant?" - "It does not mesh with DF expectations.

Very simple, concise answers that do not defame the defendant but also do not extoll his virtue.

So not just a statement of his record then, but also a personal evaluation. Not just "what are the DF's expectations of him?" Because he said it was "out of character", implying that he knows what would be "in character" for Crotty.

Which is exactly the problem here.

Personally, if I were asked to give my (positive) opinion of someone's character after they had launched an unprovoked attack on someone, lied about it by saying she had attacked him first, and also boasted about it on social media, I would be so horrified at how WRONG my judgment of their character had obviously been that I would not judge it a fit opinion to give in court.

Instead, Togher still thought his judgment of Crotty sufficiently reliable to suggest that the proven beating was somehow "out of character", not that Togher had been wrong to think Crotty would never do such a thing. Since, clearly, he did do it.

Togher's arrogance is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Australia for him id imagine. That is where id be heading if I was him.

No I didn't do the same thing. But same charge Assault Causing Harm. It was another lad

The glowing reference Togher gave him is hard to understand: your description of a far more reserved "statement of fact" type reference seems more logical. I can't see how he felt able to say it was "out of character" - how could he know? I don't suppose he went out drinking with him regularly. And courteous? WTF? Are soldiers ever not courteous to their commanding officers??

Obviously not, thats why I ask.

People are talking about DF regulations as if they have to be adhered to.

But a court wouldn't give a damn about my companies regulations so the question becomes do they have to give a damn about the DF's?

Because if they don't, then those regulations matter to nobody but the DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

WoWould he get a visa with a criminal record like that?

I'd say he's limited to Europe or a life on the dole, he might pick up some cash in hand jobs here and there.

• Advertisement

Advertisement