Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I guess Judge Merchan gave him permission to travel :)

Seems that Bannon, former CFTrump WH Chief of Staff, is spending his contempt of congress conviction time in a Connecticut federal low-security (not minimum security) prison nicknamed "The Wall" which is not a nice place. And, if his state trial on his 'Build The Wall' embezzlement scheme goes forward while he's still in the Fed pokey, he might be transferred to Rikers. Woo. Rikers.

From WH COS to just another convict in Rikers. Pretty spectacular fall, and well deserved.

https://www.salon.com/2024/06/18/steve-bannon-gets-news-former-adviser-wont-be-spending-his-time-at-club-fed/

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Maxface

As above, Isn't weird what this timeline is, to be afraid of artificial intelligence or immense stupidity. Both are dangerous, obviously, and both are here. I do know for sure though, what we don't need is immense stupidity regulating artificial intelligence, that would be both stupid and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Will we get Artificial Intelligence regulating Immense Stupidity? (with a struggle between competing groups to sit at the "top" of both)

We will get different brands of AI corresponding to different geo-political zones of influence,I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭francois

There's already been an epic bot/troll farm fail regarding disinfo

https://twitter.com/jbhenchman/status/1803070485921411248?t=we69zoVXAenJmVQewv5NbQ&s=19

Can you explain what that tweet is about? I don't have the patience to make sense of it all.

Anyone else understand all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A twitter account which was setup in Russia to post in support of Trump went haywire and posted the code it was set up with (the Russian in the first post instructs it to post in support of Trump in English). The second image shows that when called out on it, someone was able to confuse it and ordered it to post a poem about American Presidents, again showing that it's an AI bot and likely that Russian bot farms are operating on Twitter to post in support of Trump.

Thanks. Does anyone know the extent and character of this kind of thing?

Do they just flood the zone (sounds Bannonesque,now) with anodyne comments to give the appearance that the online consensus is other than it really is?

Or do they have a master (a bit like a drone pilot) who monitors the reaction and maybe try to discredit posters in real time with ,perhaps teams of posters backed up with computers for quick access to information (or suggested dis/misinformation)?

Do the propaganda services of different countries all employ similar techniques now and have there been studies fleshing this out with real examples like this one apparently?

Are some social media companies able to combat this or are we just into slippery eel territory?

Should we all be avoiding social media that is not properly moderated?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Does anyone else see this as him comparing himself to Christ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why do people que up for hours to listen to that rubbish?

They Say kids are lost in their phones all day but here you have grown adults wiling to travel and stand for hours to listen to that demented rubbish.

And we only see the clips. He drones on for 90 minutes usually. 90 minutes of incoherent, disconnected and childish nonsense.

Add to that, they also have to sit through the support acts, which invariably are pound shop tribute acts to the main act.

Cultism. Self-sacrificing to own de libs. Very xtian of them

The irony, suggesting violence against immigrants at a 'Faith and Freedom' conference. https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/22/trump-ufc-migrant-league-00164570

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That migrant league business is profoundly weird. The audience seemed to be laughing more than cheering him though, as though they thought he was joking throughout. No doubt he would claim he was joking if challenged about it, but if that reduces all his speeches to jokes then where are his policies and proposals for a future 'reign'. The UN laughed at him, its the response of people who can't believe what they are hearing.

And remember he said, "I never joke." https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-kid-aides-argue-joking-slowing-coronavirus-testing/story?id=71404943

NB: Love how in this instance it was future convicted felon Peter Navarro defending him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Primarily indoctrination.

The secondary reason would be that they can meet other like-minded people they know won't disagree with them or ask questions. They can also reinforce each other's beliefs. The longer this continues the more painful it will be to abandon the belief system. They subconsciously know this so they need to keep reinforcing the mental prison they built for themselves.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Seems like that. Coincidentally I had a dream last night where I bit into an apple and it was completely filled with slugs on the inside.A bit like Trump's brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

More wounds than I suspect any President ever?

Even the ones who were assassinated?

This guys narcissism is truly god tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bone spurs are no joke. That man knows real suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's an event. Of course there is an element of the crowd who believes everything he says, but it may be closer to this 30 percent figure people keep throwing out for who of the Republican base is hardcore MAGA. I think a lot of them just like that he says things which píss people off.

Steve Bannon laid the strategy out clearly some years ago. It's signal/noise. The media and many of Trump's opponents are still being bamboozled by the noise. It would appear that Bannon was and is so confident in the strategy that he can outline it in clear detail without it being foiled, such is the media's thirst for ratings and such is the general public's hunger for the latest tidbit.

"Oh, my god, did you hear what stupid thing Trump said last night?"

It shouldn't even be a story, it happens so often, yet so many people fall for it every time. Meanwhile, behind that smokescreen, Trump's backers are plotting to concentrate power in the presidency to an extent that if he gets in, he will be able to do a lot more than the first time.

Whether Trump is stupid is kind of irrelevant at this point because the people like Stephen Miller who are advising him most certainly are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Speaking of stupid things Trump says … I've noticed a trend amongst some anti-Trump YouTubers to ridicule his many fluffed lines when he's reading teleprompter speeches. They're frequently attributing it to "cognitive decline" but I think it's simpler than that: I reckon his eyesight is getting a bit iffy, and he's literally not able to read the words on the screen from time to time. Could be cataracts, could be diabetic retinopathy, could just be age-related short/longsightedness and he's too vain to wear glasses … but the more I see of these episodes in context, the more I'm convinced he's got problems in that respect.

Doesn't stop me laughing at him making an eejit of himself, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Could be. But that doesn't explain how he gets names wrong, how he gets facts wrong so often, how he gets lost during interviews.

And how does it explain his recent sharks and electrocution madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭nc6000

What's he going on about in this one from today?

(How can I get the Tweet to display like the one in post #1362?) 🤔

Post edited by nc6000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont think so. The text size on teleprompter is adjustable can be 50+ point size. Even I could Iread it without my glasses.

He has an entirely different style of behaviour and blather when he's riffing on his own initiative. That shows up something else, which I'd attribute to him being unable to remember stuff once he's "moved on". He'll get all hyped up about a random topic - like the batteries, like the volume of a toilet flush, like the corrupt judge - and can recycle his spiel for days/weeks/months on end. But if ever he's challenged about comments made or policy announced more than a couple of weeks/months ago he goes blank, then flips into "safe mode" and says something along the lines of "wait and see, we have a plan, you'll find out about it in two weeks".

I wouldn't be sure either of the two candidates are going to make it through to the end of their term - but hey, they're who the 'Merican people want as their leader so …

(not a peep out of anyone either, Dem or GOP, about reforming their electoral system).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You have to change X to twitter in the link for it to display the tweet.

Oh, he'd been railing against low-water appliances for awhile, he's also said he gets into the shower with his very expensive shampoos and soaps, and gets no water out of it.

And he'll get tens of millions of votes in a few months.

On a different note, Beau mentioned something called the 'black jacket' revolt where a bunch of ultra-pure-blood-true-MAGATS in AZ made noises about recruiting others of their ilk to back Michael Flynn, because CFTrump is actually not really conservative, just playing them all for fools. Plus these black jackets were worried that CFTrump might, like, be in jail at the time of the convention. One can hope. Anyway, looks like the black jackets have been put back under their rock for now.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/6/23/2248188/-AZ-Republican-Operatives-Suppress-Plot-to-Oust-Trump?utm_campaign=recent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Maxface

'Washing machines for dishes' Indeed. Hard to decipher the level of idiocy that is on display. On that talk he was at, he needs to add a bit more razzamatazz. It was deader in there than Trump Snr. Surely the Maga's have some tunes they can play, maybe at half-time he gets out the tee shirt gun and starts blasting tee shirts all over the place. Get some un-captured military men to come out and wave, maybe get the kids and wife out to hand out hats and flags. Even Fox news was getting bored.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but that makes no difference if you can't see it because you've got a black cloud in your vision. If you watch several clips, you'll see he nearly always short-circuits when he's reading a polysyllabic word after he's read the first syllable on the teleprompter. Something is stopping him from seeing the rest of it, so he makes a guess, switches to the teleprompter on the other side, realises he's guessed wrong and goes into recovery mode.

Some of these wacky tangents might be a sign that he's struggling to read both teleprompters now, so he has to fall back on one of his hobby-horse topics for a moment while things settle down (obviously trumpian moment = an eternity in normal human time).

Advertisement