Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2024

Options
  • 29-05-2024 8:38am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

WWDC is in two weeks.

Lots of rumours that there is going to be a full revamp of iOS with iOS 18. It'll be nice to finally get a refresh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Looking forward to seeing what’s new. IMHO, hardware has stagnated so software is the only option to shake thinks up. Hopefully AI will improve Siri.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes the big rumours is AI. Phone is going to become a lot smarter. Will be interesting to see what they unveil.

Lot of info below:

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ios-18/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭squonk

well another WWDC, another disappointing iPad os update.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I don't think it was that disappointing?

Lots to take from it across all OS.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

iPad OS was definitely disappointing, still fairly garbage given the hardware it runs on.

The WatchOS updates disappointed me, but then I guess it got a big upgrade last year with the new gestures etc so probably to be expected. I have a Series 5 watch and I'm fairly sure this upgrade won't support it so it'll finally be time to get a new one.

iPadOS continues to be a total pile of crap, it seems fairly clear that Apple don't see this as a device that serious users should buy. It's pretty much just a really expensive tablet for watching Netflix and creating the odd note. Only Apple would get away with a 3 or 4 minute demo of a calculator though.

The iOS stuff was quite nice. The control centre stuff looks like a good upgrade, the Mail and Safari changes look good too. My favourite thing was the voiceless gestures for Siri though, and it seems like you can also type to Siri. Never used Siri in public as you look like a tool with the "hey Siri" stuff.

The AI stuff looks nice, not really anything groundbreaking there that hasn't already been done elsewhere but it'll be nice for it to be integrated into phone and Mac.

Pity the AI stuff requires at least an iPhone 15 pro tho, I would imagine iPhone sales will be higher than usual this year as more people will need to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Yep I am in the same boat with the Watcher Series 5, although battery wise it is probably time I upgraded anyway.

I think perhaps some of what Apple has announced is too easily dismissed. What they have released with Notes/Maths/Calculator is pretty cool. It would make me think twice about buying an expensive e-ink note taker vs an iPad. I can see it being really helpful for students and probably for a lot of people who work in a scientific field.

The AI stuff and the way they are integrating it is very clever. They are controlling the crazy variability in AI responses by limiting what it can do on device. This is probably an interim step until they design their own LLM. And if you want to outsource to ChatGPT, you are notified and given the choice. The big strength of their announcement is the AI having context for your instructions by knowing what is on screen.

Bit surprised that VisionOS is getting none of the AI stuff.

Probably wasn't enough time to get it ready. The deal with ChatGPT only happened a few weeks ago. I can't imagine it is a hardware issue.

Although in saying that, none of the AI features are in beta 1 anyway!

• Advertisement

I actually don't get this complaint iPad OS and seems to come from people who expect Apple to make iPad a laptop replacement device which they're not going to do for obvious reasons.

I, like most people use an iPad mainly to consume content and in that regard it works very well.

AI upgrades look really good.

I do wonder if phones will attempt to kill you in approx 10 years time when they understand you're thinking of replacing them😀

It's a pity it will only work with 15 Pro models.

Wonder if it will work with future non pro phones ,

It's a stupidly overpowered and expensive device to merely consume content.

People expect Apple to give the iPad an OS that actually takes advantage of the hardware. What they've done is build a Ferrari and put a speed limiter in it to prevent it going over 50km/h.

I'd guess yes it will given they normally put the previous years best processor in the following years "standard" iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Because they will put laptop level hardware in the iPad pros and charge you €2000 for one but won't let you do anything with it that you can't do with the entry level model. Surely this will convince people now that the iPad Pro is actually completely pointless and shouldn't be purchased by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭breeno

I saw a rumour that the 16 and 16 Plus will get a new non-pro chip while the Pro models get the Pro chip and AI features.

The huge glaring issue at this point is that the iPad Pro is only for a select group of Professional users. Fine if you’re a video editor or music producer Anythjhg wise… sorry.

I’m a software developer. I don’t really expect the iPad Pro to be as flexible as a MacBook. Look at a scenario though. A video or music production user can bring one on a train home after work. Somewhere along the way they think of a cool tweak to their current project, or something that is crusty wrong. They fire up their pro tools and, assuming they have the project onboard or can pull it down, they make the change then. It might be rough but they can finesse it in the morning. Back to Netflix and planning dinner. As a dev with the same scenario, I’m screwed unless I have a MacBook handy. I can buy an iPad that outspecs the MacBook Pro at the moment but it’s no good to me. I can’t run XCode. Sure there’s swift playgrounds but nah. Yes I know you open a can of worms introducing coding on the iPad but let’s just say I want to fix a bug, run unit tests or create a method to solve an issue. I can worry about the bigger stuff the following morning at work.

I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a full macOS experience on iPad and, in any case, it’ll take a long time to get there. I’d be happy to see them taking incremental steps in that direction. They just aren’t. In that regard they’re selling a Pro class machine that’s only of relevance to 20% of potential pro users. Apparently what I get with the M4 is faster AI this year, so my €1800 will stay in my pocket and I’ll soldier on with my 2018 AI-less iPad Pro until it dies or goes out of support.

Hope not. That’s just taking the pi$$ really. Apple fan as I am, they’ve finally started to level the playing field between themselves and Android and you should get all that capability built in as standard because whatever iPhone 16 you’ll buy won’t be cheap.

I find now that every year the increasing price gouging drives a bit of a wedge deeper into my general support of apple.

Sorry but anybody spending €2k on an ipad is a fool and is just paying Apple a premium for extra storage and if you're willing to spend €2k then should get a mac.

The base model 256gb 13" pro with the keyboard case is just shy of €2000 off Apple, it's not storage. That hardware could compete with a MacBook Air if Apple wanted it to, they obviously don't because they want to sell you both.

The iPad Pro is just a pointless device, you can get a regular iPad or even an iPad Air along with a 13" MacBook Air for less than the 13" iPad Pro with the keyboard case and you'll have a far better setup with both.

• Advertisement

Ok, so you're adding €399 for keyboard which is an overpriced accessory but does not reflect the iPad price. You've also chosen larger size, just to suit your argument.

You could get 11" model without keyboard for €1,229

Anyhow, I find their pro models to be overpriced and not worth the extra, and as you say the Air, which I have myself are better value.

Pro you're paying extra for niche features that eventually come to base models in the future which is the same with phones.

Eh no, I've chosen the 13" pro with the keyboard because 1. Apple sell it and 2. it would be the perfect laptop replacement if ipadOS wasn't so rubbish, which was the original point raised.

I've been running Beta 1 since WWDC. Pretty stable, nothing has gone crazy and battery life is fine. Hopefully Beta 2 will start to roll out the AI features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

is it worth going to Beta1, what new things do you get?

The new design elements, Lock Screen, widgets, change app logo colours, new settings layout, control centre etc. The better integration of calendar and reminders, password app, new Photos features, iMessage update. Lots of small things, but no AI.

Do you have a 15 Pro? AI is only available on 15 Pro Phones or iPads with M1 chip or higher.

I do yes, the features are just not in beta 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

If at all, Apple could easily dig their heels in and completely nope. Although one would imagine the Open AI integrations from the outset was partly done with DNA in mind.

• Advertisement

This is just Apple playing games / having a bit of a strop at the EU. There is no way Apple will turn their back on a market as huge as the EU.

Advertisement