Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork traffic

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I know I should ignore you but…

You say that it has “nothing to do with accident statistics in this spot”. So you favour a reactive approach to pedestrian safety, i.e. the authority shouldn’t proactively make the roads safer but should instead wait until there’s a good few deaths or life-changing injuries?

You ask what the danger is here. Have a quick chat with your favourite LLM and you’ll see that, worldwide, scores if not hundreds of pedestrians are killed every year when using a crossing on their green light. The most common causes are driver inattention or inebriation. Pedestrian-safe infrastructure mitigates dangers like this by forcing vehicles to slow down. Every 5kph shaved off speed dramatically reduces the risk of serious injury or death.

And in the case of this particular location, I would suggest that the presence of the bus stop immediately before the crossing means that the light on that side of the road is going to be obscured when a bus has stopped, i.e. increased risk precisely when people who have just got off the bus are wanting to cross the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A car crashed into Parliament Bridge last night, knocking a section of the wall into the river! FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Esho

That really annoys me Mostly beemers, benzs and SUVs

Once every blue moon there's a guard there to tell them to turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Esho

Was that in Douglas ? And in the paper?

Cork drivers are really really nice in comparison to Dublin drivers. Even I've stopped being an a**ehole when driving and let people out, wave to say thanks and that.

Took me a few months though!

Just had a look as I was nearby. It's really weird, there's no skid marks that I can see! The bang was heard in Fred Zepplins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Im traumatised..... traumatised I tell ya. Trying to get the son into work in Musgraves this evening with Musgrave Park concerts starting.

Traffic on the south link backed up to Douglas, road closed at Kinsale/Tramore road, none of the trucks could get through, jaysus it was chaos and on until the 29th. I need a lie down.... It's gonna be a long month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not sure when this happened!

https://t.co/PwYVWXeSB2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

The tweeter is yet another one who started as a contrarian, then anti women, anti-vaxx and now full blown racist. Often under the guise of "just asking questions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw pictures on Reddit of a one in a Merc driving on the footpath on grand parade from the library towards the fountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wee bit cheeky of the crashed spaceship management telling people to park at Kent Station car park.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41416936.html

Something weird going on in this thread. I can see that there's a new post but I can't see it.

Yeah saw there was a new post but only seeing it now

There was a new post earlier today about somebody driving on a footpath or something. Must have been deleted.

Thats still there on the previous page I posted that.

• Advertisement

Big work happening on Patrick's Street to repair the state of the street which is good. Won't be able to go northbound for 6 weeks I think. Be nice to see the city being repaired again, but I imagine traffic won't be great. Might be a good opportunity to start enforcing the Panaban permanently once done maybe?

I'd love to see the ban 24 hours and enforced, with a delivery window in the morning for commercial vehicles only.

At this stag I reckon a lot of people flouting the ban don't even know that there is one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

literally witnessed 4 cars in a row yesterday doing the illegal right turn at Opera house … maddening

That pretty much happens every light sequence.

So Patrick's Street is closed entirely in one direction and to all but busses in the other direction (buses have to enter on the wrong side of the road at the north end of the street). You might think that this would stop cars from driving on Patrick's Street. You might 😏

Edit, traffic seems to be allowed enter from Academy to go Southbound.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Advertisement

Red light breaking :

This morning I stopped at a red light by the former Sextant. A car in an adjacent lane flew through the red light, I'd say about 3 seconds after the red light. I'd say the lights turned red (not amber) when they were 15 or 20 metres from the stop line and they still chose to proceed!

A while later I was coming out of The Square in Ballincollig. I was stopped at the red lights. The driver of the car in front of me was stopped at the lights but didn't want to wait. From a stopped position, they decided to proceed through the lights as there was no traffic coming. The weren't on the cusp of changing, or anything. They just didn't want to wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Link gridlocked this morning after a crash,never seen the traffic so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Extremely glary sun this morning - some lovely colours plus a rainbow - made it all the more likely for this to happen.

Todays joy was a crash west of the Mahon onslip going westbound, and a further crash at Mahon eastbound. One likely caused the other by rubbernecking.

Glad to have been through it about 20mins before it happened. People still arriving into work at 1040.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Schorpio

It does.

Why there is never a Garda presence there (considering proximity to the Bridewell station too) I'll never understand.

There's a significant cohort who have demonstrated time and time again that they just don't care when there's no repercussions. Equally, the Council and the Gardai have shown that they don't care enough to stamp it out.

Another incident between a truck and a car from the east just before the tunnel at 1045 had all the traffic from the east having to go to the city.

Advertisement