Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This my feeling. The more severe the action, the quicker this will be potentially resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There is no common ground to start any negotiation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If either side were conducting themselves in an illegal manner, there'd be a high court injunction got already. Sending letters threatening legal action during IR situations is not a recommended reaction. EI seems to be handling that poorly.

I feel sorry for people flying tomorrow for a week in the sun as they may not get home Sat week. Big decision for families to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

Going by this and I’m flying out the following weekend makes me think what do I do about flying via uk to get to my destination

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've a flight from France on the 9th July. Hopefully this is cleared up by then…🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭useless

potentially bigger problem is the larger number of people who can’t now travel next Saturday on the first day of the primary schools holidays…

Messing with family holidays isn’t going to endear the pilots to the general public, whatever the rights and wrongs of their pay claim and the EI management’s behaviour towards the pilots union.

I wonder would BA/IB pilots pass the pickets if IAG ask them to fly the EI strike- affected planes next Saturday… there would be consternation!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just a reminder — strikes aren't about endearing yourself to the general public, unless the government is at the other side of negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Not sure if this will help you make a decision but 4 of us due to fly out next Thursday to JFK now being rerouted through Heathrow, AE to Heathrow and United to JFK. Just got the email. Our return flight July 15th is unaffected (so far). Does this mean we have to do immigration in JFK now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Yes you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

BA/IB pilots wont have to "pass the picket". I doubt they have the capacity to operate on behalf on EI from DUblin. But if they did I will assumed it might be in and out within the day.
    Their unions are in a different nation so I believe that they cant legally be sympathetic to IALPA (even if aligned together)

They'd also have to be flying BA aircraft.

Non EI pilots can't fly EI planes as per the independent earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Our EI flights depart at 1pm on Saturday 29th.

With the strike ending at exactly that time, is there any prospect our flight will actually go ahead?

Very little to be quite honest.

The schedule will be all over the place. It'll mean disruption both the day before and the day after also.

I'd be surprised if many EI flights went ahead on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

What happens on the 29th will depend on several factors, including what schedule of flights EI decides to protect and operate. Since the strike notice was only issued today, they will hardly have worked this out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Worried now.

Flying with AL at end of July on our family holiday.

hopefully they will have worked something out by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

I really hope it goes ahead. It's the only daily flight to our destination, not somewhere they have multiple flights to. Have checked competitor airlines and prices for a family of 5 are extortionate and thas for indirect flights.

• Advertisement

Unless next Saturday strike gets cancelled, expect the worst and hope for the best

Messing around on the app and it seems they are not taking any bookings for any route for 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Extremely poor form from management RE legal letters to IALPA reps. Outright bullying and intimidation tactics at play there and nothing less. The “sickness review committee” also another worrying development and not a great time to get going whilst relations are extremely tense.

However, is it a bit of a knee-jerk reaction by IALPA to call a strike because of these letters/legal action? I would have thought that the strike was solely for the WRC/LC issues around salary etc. Using the strike here just seems to be a bit heavy-handed and really brings both sides down to a new low. I think that had IALPA not done this and continued as they were they would have a bit of moral high ground - but I suppose that is useless to them really.

I also find it fascinating that the CEO is completely AWOL - as someone mentioned earlier in the thread you could be sure Willie Walsh wouldn’t be hiding away in the office.

The escalation this evening and the whole thing is depressing quite frankly - I really feel for the travelling public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

There was no need for the threats from management. Does nothing bar pouring fuel on the fire. Instead of sending threats should be picking up the phone and calling them and asking them to let’s talk about it like adults and we can sure work towards something. There should be a trail of offers and counter offers over the whole 22 months. Maybe hight teens with a bit of flexibility on call might get this done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wonder what the rate of no show passengers this morning or last min change based on fact that they couldn't come home next Sat? (Assuming a Sun holiday for a week).

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Aer Lingus mgmt. saying they have not threatened legal action but have questioned the increased sickness recently. Hard to know who to believe here.

From what I can see the main delay to any negotiations kicking off here is that EI want to use an intermediary and IALPA wants to negotiate directly. However, if IALPA have no intention of actually negotiating and it is more a demand of a 24% increase, I don't see this getting resolved any time soon as a precedent would be set in terms of future negotiations with any workers who can severely impact operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Thank you VERY much for posting that, it at least gives me some idea of whaty to expect

You can’t claim compensation if you don’t show up

I flew back to Dublin from Italy earlier this week, the plane was 30 minutes delayed arriving to Rome on the previous leg, no idea why. It was then further delayed because we missed our departure slot. I mean that sort of situation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I initially thought this would last well into July. That was based on a week or two of WTR followed by a series of 1 day stoppages.
    This early escalation was a bit of a surprise (indicating the bad blood between the 2 sides)
    But as stated above, I think the escalation may mean that it is shorter.
    (my own sun break is 1st week of August)

Advertisement