Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The drop of in milk volumes is pretty stark, the most worrying aspect is dairy cow numbers nationally, are steady year on year…

Got into a heated arguement with a board member at a meeting 3 years ago re the building of the new cheese plant, i was questioning the need for it at all going forward, and was laughed off, at the time he predicted they would be processing 3.4 billion plus litres in 2024, with it going up 3% year on year after that….

Of current volumes their down 8% on 2023 if that presists, theyll be looking at only processing 2.7 billion litres for 2024, the 150 announced redunacies are only the start of job lay-offs, if the fixed portion of a co-ops processing costs for arguemtsake are 4 cent a litre, and in tirlains case their down 700 million litres, thats nearly 30 million yearly in extra costs on under utilised processing, basically knocks a cent a litre of base price for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭straight

Why can't we get some propaganda like this for ourselves.

Rewilding in Europe with ruminant animals results in a huge carbon capture and a win win for everyone. They had the figures way over stated originally and had to correct them.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/15/bison-romania-tarcu-2m-cars-carbon-dioxide-emissions-aoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭cosatron

i rewilded a few calves last week, does that help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I bought supposed weaned calves a few years ago and as soon as I let them out of the trailer, 3 of them rewilded themselves in our wood for a few days 😁

It was easy enough to talk to them after I eventually found them. Freedom to live as nature intended (as the eco crew call it) was not as much craic as they were led to believe!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep - but they are grazing at natural densities on natural species rich herbage and swards, no chem N, herbicides,wormers etc. -quiet different to the intensive model pushed here. Its why there are projects in the US to restore the former carbon rich soils of the original praries using their wild Bison Species

• Advertisement

Ya, they're belching perfume 😂😂🤣 and sh1tting roses and pissing spring water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

IN terms of stocking rates and inputs, yes - hence the no need for creative accounting on slurry and trips up North for fert…..😏

Don't tar us all with the one brush please. There has always been the same old few breaking the rules while the rest of us try our best to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭DBK1

A local man here had a department inspection a few weeks ago. His land joins a stream so they were doing an inspection on his slurry storage and farm practices to ensure no pollution of the stream. This man would have the cleanest yard and tidiest setup in the parish. He used to be a host farm for Bord Bia a few years ago where other farmers would be brought to his farm to show them how it should be done.

Less than half a mile from his yard is a farmer the complete opposite to this. Slurry running out of the yard and down the road all winter, cattle never tagged, animals roaming the road all the time. No fences, gates, sheds falling down, animals dying from starvation, a very sorry sight. The farmer that got the inspection mentioned to the department man in his yard that he was quite happy for them to check all they wanted on his farm but by any chance would they call into this other yard on the way back as both farms are joining the same stream. He was told this was of no concern of his and he shouldn’t be telling them how to do their jobs.

He left it at that as he didn’t want any hassle but as far as I can see they’re inspecting lads that would have the place fairly right and ignoring the lads that don’t give a s**t about the regulations as it’d be too much work for them to try sort it all out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I can assure you that more than 20 % of the land we farm is every bit as environmentaly friendly as this project but nobody wants to write about that and I have no doubt the that any cattle would do the same.job as those bison but that story dosent fit in with anyone's agenda therefore nobody is going to write about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have a carbon copy of that beside us but hes alot worse, made 300 bales this year and stacked them in a corner of a field beside the mainroad through the village, 30 metres from local school/gaa pitch spent the next 3 months hauling bales out twice a day, plastering the road with clay/stones, in the wind-up as the stack was on a slope whenever their was heavy rain it was flowing out onto the road…

He decided aswell to outwiner 40 cattle on the side of a hill beside the main-road wasnt able to get into the field to feed them bales so started dropping them over the ditch from the road with tractor and loader, eventually the field got that bad , silt and clay started flowing into the neighbouring houses front yard, if you've ever been to the slieve bloom waterfall youll know the farm im taking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

He a fuuycking informer, telling the inspector. The dept staff are well paid to do their jobs. Once he kept his own place well, what business had he telling the dept, about other farmers. He wouldnt last long In this townland, the kunt

Any lad acting like that deserves to be reported....its not informing. I don't like one bit that your infering that the child molesting and wife beating and generally depraved rapists. Who terrorised there own population [ira ] would disapprove of informants

I disapprove of informers, nothing to do with IRA. Even our Lord "he without sin" wasn't mad about the goody two shoes. But as you do mention the republican movement. Reading Tom Barry's book, it was the irish informer whom was the cause of 800yrs under British rule and failed up risings.

I simply can't see why he didn't mind his own business, than sticking his nose into his neighbours.

Probably several reasons one of them was Probably the simple reason he got inspected and the neighbours was a mess and was able to flout the regulations...... the amount of lads firing out slurry with the splash plate round here this spring summer is unreal ...... each one is a long way over the 130 ...…

The sooner you get a radio for the parlour the better and stay off of the politics programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Were still testing for bvd every year because of cowboys and its costing us a huge amount of money. Derogation gone will cost us considerably more. Giving these fellas the carrot option doesn't work. So what would be your suggestion to tidy them up?

And if they were spreading it with a jug from the kitchen table, how would that effect you

• Registered Users Posts: 11 captain hadley

What's the department doing so that's there job as for bvd tb and that **** bord bia all a money racket.how come years ago with open slurry pits cattle drinking in streams and open face silage pits there was hardly a word about water quality.if you are a farmer reporting another farmer you are the lowest of the low in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That's a pretty harsh and aggressive tone you got going there, you having a bad day?

I would say he's asking the inspector if he was actually doing his own job rather than just going around knit picking at people who are doing theirs.

The good neighbour is apparently polluting the river, causing serious animal welfare issues and generally giving farmers a bad name in the area, there may or may not be mitigating circumstances.

The dept inspector is one if us, supposed to be working for us farmers and our society in general to ensure compliance and help continue our social licence to operate within acceptable standards. The Crown is long gone now.

In general wouldn't be discussing anyone else's business with them but depending on the circumstances along with the good neighbours attitude and character, I could understand how it would arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

if u can’t see that it will affect is all your blind …majority of us have to suck it up and comply with these regs to protect our future …derogation and nitrates cuts are crippling us and of dero goes it will put lots of us out of business …I’m sure you think it’s a joint conspiracy theory ….lads throwing caution to wind …constantly bending rules often with no shame ….deserve to be caught and punished because if they aren’t we all suffer

GONE, GONE, but not forgotten, go on the bull!

It sickens me to think a farmer is giving names to a dept inspector, whom he thinks is a bad farmer.

After the gatherer, comes the squanderer

The squeaky clean lads should not be so proud. It doesn't take much for circumstances to Change.

I see a lot of farmers who own dribble bars, spreading slurry with splash plates for the second cut, the dry weeks.

After all the EPA reports show farmers good work the past few years ain't making very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

I Largely agree with all that MJ, but when actions are being taken that take 2 years to come throughin the results, yet we are being beaten down with data that's 2-3 years old, it's hard to sell the rules. I comply, but am actually demoralised by it all.

He doesn't have one only government bad ....... bit too much gript consumed

But there was outright pollution and problems theres was loads of them but nobody cares until the early naughties . Or were made to care ......

I'm just saying not to be giving your neighbours names to the department if you get inspected.

It's the Way of a dog, to bite the dog next to it, because it gets a kick.

If you think things are going to turn out "happy ever after" because you get the department on to your neighbours, you are mistaken my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭alps

There wasn't a word about water. I wonder if it was even being tested? What I do remember was fish kill after fish kill. It doesn't happen anymore, not from farms anyway.

We just need to improve water quality, reduce nitrate concentration..that's the task for farmers...no defined target, no milestone..

The downside of the improvement ask is that it is never-ending....we never reach a figure.

I'm confident of holding stocking rates, but we're definitely in a reducing chemical allowance scenario. I remember Graise saying at a meeting that the dept were focused on 150kg N.

Many have set a path to this,clover, milti species, foliar, regenerative, and will acheive but the majority are on the sidelines.

If you waste nutrients on your farm from now on, you'll fail to grow enough grass. Storage will be your asset as will the capability of applying those nutrients at a time of maximum result.

The days of being able to cover up poor management with the cheque book are running out. We're at a reset time and those who learn and apply will do fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

agree with that …..it is hard sell the rules …I comply majority of time ((we all bend the rules odd time but not in a major way )….and Yeadh I’m fed up …and demoralised …and pissed offf but I carry on …..but annoys me when I see lads blatantly and consistently flouting things when most of rest of us are doing our best and in future we will differ for the actions of a minority

Advertisement