Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say you will have to go off grid to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yep…join the Amish or sommit…..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭20/20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭RoTelly

To me this picture, just shows how out of touch everyone is with the normal person. Mark Little in the background hosting the event celebrating RTÉ NEWS's status as the most trusted news service in the country, all hail the new Caesar, tsar and so on. He has delivered so much in the past year!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How is Little burrowing his way back into RTE circles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I know it's part of the media game and the news moves on but I've never wanted more for a follow up than on the Dee Forbes situation.

It has happened countless times in this country but where somebody in a public scandal has "retired" or "taken legal advice". It's sickening they can just weasel off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

It's sickening they can just weasel off.

You're so right, and it still never ceases to amaze me. I should know better by now!

Really the media don't want to follow on, its not that a story has died but just simply they want people to move on.

For example, the most recent update on RTÉ is that potentially Jim Jennings is negotiating an exit. A week on surely the media have reached out and surely now he gets a doorstop or even a doorstop with the current DG, who was at an event in Dublin with the CnaM where he could have been door stopped, actually questioned.

______

Yesterday

BTW Catherine Martin was in Miami this week, I don't see how they can push forward with changes to the licence fee before the end of the term, when the Minister is only getting back now.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭Damien360

The summer Dail recess is fast approaching. As is usual, the last outgoing story is last year's news and it's a clean slate when they come back in October. All she has to do is sit tight. It won't be sorted. I haven't paid my renewal as I reckon I'm just throwing money away to a bunch of wasters. I'll wait until I get a summons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Why stop there- they could show the entire series of Glenroe from the first episode onwards and save a fortune on both the family entertainment and history filming budgets

There is a reason why Glenroe never got repeated. IMO It seems that the actors union's terms are far too good. There is a reason Glenroe was axed it was too expensive for what it was.

Not that RTÉ ever thought of renegotiating repeat fees with the union. But I suppose repeats of Murder, She Wrote are better value for money or the Golden Girls. I think the summer time repeats of Ros Na Run ran in to similar problems.

Remember when RTÉ had to negotiate to get Fair City on their +1 channel and the player. Actors getting 100k for 30 weeks work.

The talk about the Grab All Association, in RTÉ its Real Talent needs Everything!

______

Yesterday

"What I would expect from RTÉ in this case is that they would take on advice and recommendations from any independent mediation body that is been used, but more importantly that RTÉ would be seen to get value from this, because at the end of the day they are publicly funded,” she said.

Pressed on the effect on ordinary people struggling to meet rising costs – and demands that they pay the licence fee – Ms Martin said: "I think processes have to be adhered to, and they (RTÉ) need to take proper advice".

Ms Martin said she was still "very much focused" on the future funding of the station and "negotiations are still ongoing" – even though it had been promised that the model would be known by summer.

"I said before before the summer recess, and I think the leadership election will be decided in the week of the summer recess,” she added.

There is a point surely that the minister would have to step in, as such the cost of exiting a person from RTÉ would not infringe on RTÉ's independence editorial speaking.

The article doesn't say where the interview took place, over the phone from Miami, I suspect the minister is on holiers and one of the reasons why the vote on the Migration pact was postponed until next week, which means she as about 2 weeks to make a decision on future funding.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/catherine-martin-hopes-to-remain-in-green-party-role-and-denies-rte-scandal-impacted-her-leadership-ambitions/a496890787.html

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Almost a month since she was announced as the new host, Rachel English still hasn't presented the News@ One on RTE Radio 1.

They really don't help themselves, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Knowing RTE, English will start in September after the Summer recess is over.

I think they said mid-july …. and then she'll take her normal summer break!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

I wonder if there could be a protest about paying the new charge alla water charges and no one pays until the people paying for this mess get answers, I can only see people paying it if Dee Forbes is rightly questioned and or prosecuted as their was definitely fraud going on with in RTE why has a case not been brought forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

This is just the Irish way. Wagons are circled and over time the government hope people forget or lose interest in the RTE scandal and you know what they will because we do it over and over again.

I can't see it happening tbh. I could be wrong but the protest of not paying is significant and should be significant enought. 13% less people paying, while normally 15% don't pay! surely that is a protest in of itself.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If it's deducted directly by revenue I don't think it'll be possible to boycott it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

There could be protests set up before this being rammed down our throats I find it hard to believe the Irish people will just pay for the mess that is RTE and be so hard nosed with the refusal to pay more tax for clean water or maybe I am out of touch with the bog standard Irish person

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

be great if there was even one journalist in the country that would dig into this and find dear dee and ask her what the actual fcuk? wont happen i know…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Media in Ireland will very rarely rock the boat or try to dig up dirt. Immigration, RTE, the recent referendum all prove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

thats true enough…they all seem to just be interested in getting a political advisor job or be a government spokesman… all thats needed is just one,just feckin one to start digging and the whole house of cards would fall

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

Also they want to host Prime Time or the Six One news.

The Jornos are not going to bite the hand that might feed them. Two examples brought this into the light.

The initial outrage regarding the axing of Children's programming, and their acceptance that the funding of children's programming was just being move to the independent sector but never to follow up to see if RTÉ had supported children's content, or that they cut content by 25% and then by a further 50% in 2016 and 2017.

There have been plenty of times between this and the second example also: -

But for me last Christmas's Buckhurst Black out, they were happy to take interview after interview with him and give him the thumbs up and to lob softballs at him. Then when something did come up after Christmas he was unwilling to take an interview!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Look back in anger?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0622/1456085-rte-analysis/

And still nobody has been made to answer.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I see.

It's not as if there's a shortage of people to stand in in the meantime so it's all good they would probably claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

This reminded me that, in the recent stages of the sh1tstorm of the Post Office Horizon scandal, a tv crew tracked down Paula Vennells. It wasn’t very illuminating but at least some people felt better that she’d been doorstepped. (at the church gate, actually!) But there’s no sign of that happening to Dee

• Advertisement

So one year on from the lighting of the match that ignited an inferno at the national broadcaster, the fire is now out and the rebuilding is well under way.

Really ?

The only thing that is assured, is that events of 22 June 2023 have changed the organisation forever.

Yeah!

______

Yesterday

Advertisement