Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

This was your post.

"Because he's trying to save your blood pressure as you get awful upset and fragile over links"

You add nothing to the discussion. Please just ignore me in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

whether protestors being outside a home or trapping a politician in their car is the worst is a matter of opinion. Personally I would far prefer to not be trapped in a confined space like a car and would feel safer in a house. I don’t condone either but the water protestors should take some responsibility for popularising that kind of protest. They won’t of course and will just call everyone else thugs while ignoring their own role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Is the content relevant ? what does it matter the source …..is it a staged video? we really are going full Murican politics on that

You appear to be defending scumbags in masks "protesting" outside the elected leader of the Government.

Strange stance but will leave you to it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah both awful . But targeting politicians AND their families is worse

If you can't see that ..

Yes both are awful but which is ‘worse’ is a matter of opinion. Inside a spacious home where guards can be called to come to or inside a confined space with no other room to escape to especially if one is claustrophobic. You can try to imply that there’s something wrong with me for feeling like that all you want but it’s an opinion. For the record I condone neither and would like neither to happen to me but you’re the one arguing that one is ‘worse’ than the other but it is a matter of opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Hold that thought…..you'll be told Irish men commit sex crimes too in a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

I understand it quite well.

They aren't part of the outgroup that Irish men (who are mostly misogynistic racist pigs in their eyes anyway) have become.

Its just virtue signaling: "See, - I'm such a good person that I don't tar ALL men with the one brush, - I make allowances for the VULNERABLE ones"

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

@Ha Long Bay There are other posters on this thread that think RTE etc. have an agenda.

They where left neglecting posting/tweeting an article they put on there site hidden from view the other night, only way I found it was by a google search. Others reported and picked up on the same.

You questioned my use of a dubious twitter account to break the news, so I posted an alternative source and edit my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Tents on the Quays now, this is getting ridiculous. Will they fence off the whole city in time?

Some seem happy for the city centre to turn into some sort of shanty town. And I'm not sure given the sheer scale (caused by their long term incompetence), the government can stem the tide at any point soon.

This has been a problem coming down the line for ages, pre COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Wondering half the time do some posters with ridiculous expectations of ireland housing the world n its cousins. Are they actually living in ireland that post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Augme

Lol. So nearly everyone who voted in the recent elections doesn't live in Ireland? The conspiracies has jumped to a new level. 😂😂

Much more likely the other way around. Do people posting on this thread who's talked about how things are going to change, how the local and European elections would be the dawn of a new right wing wave actually live in Ireland? Becuasw they couldn't have gotten their predictions any more wrong on that one. It really does seem they have a disconnect with what the average Irish person things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

So you laugh at something in your opening paragraph that wasn’t actually claimed?

It was claimed. For some reason, a small number of posters in this thread have deluded themselves into thinking what they want is what most Irish people want, despite significant evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

I’d be fairly sure if you asked people if they wanted men living in tents in our city centre the majority would not want that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Other things I'd be fairly certain the majority wouldn't/don't want too, include:

• Chancers arriving here from the UK, France and elsewhere looking for handouts under the guise of asylum
    • Lads arriving having destroyed their documentation but being allowed through anyway
    • Lads being caught in containers and then disappearing without a trace only days later
    • Guys NOT being caught in containers (as in that recent warehouse footage video) but disappearing without a trace into our country
    • (Small) communities having dozens or even hundreds of randomers dropped on their doorstep literally overnight without warning or consultation
    • Gardai being used as (Irish Water meter-style) enforcers of the above to subdue any local protests
    • Government/mainstream media either ignoring or demonising any concerns as "far right" agitators
    • Essential services being overrun to the point where the locals paying for them and relying on them can't access them themselves in any sort of timely manner
    • Government handing out citizenship like cereal prizes to anyone who manages to hang around long enough
    • No indication of ANY sort of long-term plan behind all this, or how they plan to avoid the problems we have seen in the UK and elsewhere, and which are already starting here

.. etc, etc, etc

But by all means, if the handful of posters here claiming otherwise want to prove me wrong on the above then I'll happily stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People showing up outside someone's house in the evening and when children are being put to bed can hardly be called a "protest". It's pure intimidation and thuggery.

The water protest thing by the far left crowd with ministers trapped in cars was bang out of order too, much more in the area of threats and intimidation than a protest (the Irish far left and the far right have a lot more in common than they would ever admit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JP 1800

I would imagine the majority of the population, myself included would not condone protesting or intimidating people outside their homes. One must also consider what drives groups to resort to this practice. Is it out of pure spite and malice, perhaps, or are they doing it out of desperation?. If those in power fail to understand and try to at least empathise with local groups this I am afraid will possibly escalate. I can see what the desperate and those ignored groups will be thinking, well if they can put a bunch of unknown men into our communities see how you like it in reciprocal. This can be the mindset of the desperate and those who feel like they are being ignored. It is basic human psychology and those whom feel intimidated will either fight or flight, with the former being the stronger response when groups get larger. The government has lost the trust of the people and when you have no trust you have no influence, the only other way to gain a semblance of influence then is by force, which ultimately gives rise to anarchy. Are we really willing to go down that road? I for one hope not, but those in power are making that more likely day by day.

Given in the local elections parties who want to uphold and honour Ireland's international and EU obligations, what do you think?

I agree. The fact they aren't provided with accommodation is a disgrace.

Why do you think none of the parties pushing these agenda have very little success? That should be evidence enough to prove you wrong.

Does this mean that everyone is also satisfied with the housing situation and the health service?

Also, wouldn't the opinion polls, along with the election results, suggest that the majority of people are not happy with the immigration mess, while also (contrary to what is promoted here by some) not being far right.

As in, reasonable people who believe that immigration needs to be brought back under control.

Not far right bigots going around waving nazi flags.

Given that every political party has declared how the housing and health situations are a huge priority, what do you think?

"Being brought under control" has a very wide interpretation. For some people on this thread that means no foreigners in Ireland, for others it means provide accommodwtion for refugees.

The simple fact is there was very very little support for parties who've pushed for implementing most of Kaisers list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

election results, suggest that the majority of people are not happy with the immigration mess,

I struggle to see how you can read this into the European elections at any rate. The only candidate seeking radical change to immigration policy who came anywhere close to election was Niall Boylan

Boylan actually did extremely well for someone who was excluded from the MSM debates

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And this demonstrates that, as bloopy claimed, a majority of the electorate as a whole are unhappy with current immigration policy?

well it certainly demonstrates that Irish people tend to vote in the same parties and people that actually cause the main issues, time and time again. And that many might not have even been aware of alternatives thanks to the one sided agenda from RTE etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Ahwell

One of the things the elections did show is that those opinion polls are not a good indicator of voting intentions. There was a whole lot of projection going on in this and the now defunct immigration thread over the past few months, I.e., because immigration is such a burning issue for you then it must be equally so for the country as a whole. If that were true the election results would be a hell of a lot different to the ones we actually got.

Advertisement