Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thats just "delayed", it cant be compared to "overtime" in other industries. Airlines never plan maximum hours for their crew within a weekly/monthly/annual period. They plan at maybe 80% of legal limits, assuming delays will push it up to 90%.
    Flight crew arent paid hourly.

I have been told (by an EI staffer) that the CEO was holding internal "coffee mornings" with staff in their Head Office over the last couple of days. Not great optics with an imminent strike that is getting more bitter each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 knobtasticus

The opposite is true. The published roster will often work right up FTLs and even exceed them in many cases. Duties are then cut and changed as the month progresses to ensure the actual flight hours are kept just under the rolling 28 day limit. Very common for rosters to be filled with ‘watch hours’ memos during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭plodder

Aer Lingus mgmt. saying they have not threatened legal action but have questioned the increased sickness recently. Hard to know who to believe here.

I heard that this morning. Coincidence maybe, but they said the strike was announced an hour after the cancellations, which maybe didn't have quite the level of impact expected on bucket and spade routes particularly …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭thebiglad

How is it not great optics to inform the remaining staff of Aer Lingus as to what is going on and to try to put them at ease that they have a plan and possibly look for extra assistance in the customer care element from the remaining staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The cancellations list has been updated to show the affected flights on Saturday 29th. Everything up to lunchtime cancelled, and a few others later in the day. https://www.aerlingus.com/support/disrupted-flights/ialpa-industrial-action/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Would imagine there'll be a few added to that as the week goes on.

I'd be surprised if alot of transatlantic ran Friday because they won't be back before 5am, depending on if the pilots already flying before 5am are excluded or if its everyone signing on after 5am.

Also seems difficult to start operations by 13.30 on the Saturday.

I guess we'll see as the week goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The news says that some of the transatlantics have been re-timed. Not sure how that works with a work-to-rule and no roster changes….?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I assume there will be some agreement in relation to flights that may already be in the air at 0500 Irish Time. The early TA flights usually land ahead of schedule and, as you'd imagine the pilots would rather get home on schedule anyway, you may not see too many eastbound cancellations on the night of the 28/29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone on here effected yet for European flight that’s got cancelled out of Dublin. What have EI given you? Refund outbound leg only or is it a full refund? People going for 10-14+ days might say I’ll take a refund option on the outbound and keep the inbound as they might have fixed everything then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Some of the media stories are daft.

"We'll lose 20k if we can't get to our wedding".

There'll still be tons of flights out of Ireland. If you get to London or Amsterdam you can go anywhere.

The person who told me said that EI staff are getting 1-2 internal email and/or video updates about the dispute each day. As regards "putting staff at ease", I assume that was the role of department heads and middle managers.

Regarding the eastbound flights on the 29th. I would guess that as they start duty before 0500 on the 29th that they will operate as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If you have a skim through Ryanair for example there isn't tons of flights and the ones that are available you'll need to shell out for if you want

Cheapest one way without bags etc to London next Friday €262, Saturday €245 that's with Ryanair, most expensive are 400 plus.

Amsterdam Friday €429, Sat €363

Not as simple as saying there's tons of flights get to one of these airports

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭JVince

Always the same - they search out for the "affected" types, do a Joe Duffy, turn it up, add exaggeration and create the headline.

If these people getting married can't deal with a bit of a delay / change of day for a trip, then they really are not ready for adult life

The media will likely start turning on the pilots and their excessive demands and their extremely quick jump into strike mode.

The pilots seem not to have the public on side and that may move further away from them.

24% wage increase on top of their already exceptionally good salaries is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

They already have.

They don't care.

Not all of them are on 'exceptionally good salaries'

When you add in all the allowances and overtime even a newly qualified pilot can be on close to 100k before tax AND they have a very defined path to bring them to €200k plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭dublin12367

Are there any signs management and IALPA will enter discussions again soon or will IALPA want to see next Saturday out first? Been a good few days since the last talks ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Do you work in the airline? Because those figures are factually incorrect (check the Aer Lingus website).

That point aside, there's a marked difference here in management's reaction and tone compared to anything I've seen before. They're going to let the pilots dig a hole for themselves I think. A few dismissals presumably being setup now with these legal letters to try and quash the union. It's going to get incredibly messy and I can't see the pilots winning this one, EI seem committed to weathering this one no matter how bad it gets.

Yeah. Can we shut down this crap once and for all. It’s mind-blowing how readily the general public will wade in on topics they have a fundamental misunderstanding of.

There’s no mathematical way to bring a ‘newly qualified’ pilot’s €40-60K salary up to €100K with ‘allowances and overtime’. Furthermore, as has been explained as nauseam in this thread, there’s no such thing as ‘overtime’ in aviation. When flights are delayed, crew are still expected to operate and in the vast majority of cases, no supplementary pay will be given for these delays. Similarly, a pilot who agrees to work on a day off will receive a day-off payment but in EI, this payment isn’t worth the lost free time and pilots have started putting their families, health and wellbeing first and declining to provide the same flexibility to cover insufficient staffing levels as they might have in the past.

EI spent €25M+ on hire-ins last summer just to cover their normal schedule. Crewing levels were a significant reason for this, among others.

Stop believing the rubbish being spewed by EI management in the media. It serves only to take advantage of the simplistic understanding the public have of the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I wonder though what is the relationship between the pilot salaries and those of the chief executive or even the HR suits talking about this dispute. How does this ratio compare with 10 or 20 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NatalieO

Just got an email saying our flight from Barcelona to Dublin scheduled for Sat 29th at 11am has been switched to the night before at 11pm. Do you think can we presume that there will be no further changes? Relieved that we aren’t being stranded but we have 2 teenage boys not impressed with missing a night!

Starting salary for aer Lingus pilots is between €63,000 and €77,000 including sectoral pay.

They get a starting 25 days holiday plus public holidays

They also get an exceptionally generous 21% pension contribution.

Other perks include heavily discounted and free air travel - including for family members.

Rather nice as a starting base

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

With respect, do you expect the public to ‘believe’ some anonymous dude which ,given the tenor of your post has some skin in the game over main stream media?

The public in general are not that ignorant of issues in the airline industry.

Let’s not fly off the handle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is it only outbound flights affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf though, if your options are lose 20k or pay a few hundred more, you'd wonder why anyone would choose to lose 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's going to be rough for anyone needing accommodation in Dublin that night. Taylor Swift concerts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Can I ask how you're so informed about the pilot salary? Also I believe it's untrue that they get public holidays, sure who would fly the planes on those days?

More broadly, yes the pension is good but it's not like the employer is giving that without the tax benefit that goes with it. Also, the staff travel privileges are exactly the same for pilots as they are for every other employee in the company. BA pilots get better staff travel at their airline than most other employees. That is not the case in Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

Yeah, their post has blatant inaccuracies. Aviation employees get 1 public holiday a year - Christmas Day. As is standard across the economy, this is offset by an increased allowance of leave days. This isn’t difficult info to gather so it’s reasonable to assume they’re being intentionally disingenuous.

Advertisement