Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You are starting with a lower base price than that for internal UK customers. For export to EU WOS will discount the 20% UK VAT.

• Brand: VU+
    • Product Code: VU+ Duo 4K SE
    • Availability: In Stock
    • £349.00
    • Ex Tax: £290.83

Assuming £20 postage (just a guess), £310.83 becomes €356.94 using the exchange rate being used by Revenue in June. That is liable to 23% Irish VAT = €82.10. To be collected by the delivery company plus their delivery fee €15? Grand total €454.04. How does €454.04 with whatever tuners WOS are including, compare to German prices including delivery to Ireland?

Whole different ball game if an item sent from GB is subject to Customs Duty, but from what I can see satellite receivers are zero rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭andy1249

And yet in the real world …… total cost as ordered from WOS , screen grabs of order , tracking number , and invoice from fedex attached = about 550 euros in total , or over 100 more than if ordered directly from any amazon eu site , I chose Amazon.de for my second box …… go figure …… dont order from WOS unless you want to get stung for " handling fees " ….. however the hell they justify that !

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I will say that I got my H7s from WoS.

It was like @dxhound2005 said. UK VAT was removed, delivery added and Irish VAT + admin fee applied by DPD

So £110 became £90+£15 for delivery.
    Then e30 for the VAT+admin

In which case , they seem to be charging about 30% for VAT and handling fees

Sure.
    23% for VAT + 5 euro for admin. (this was back in March so exchange rate will be different)
    DPD has one of the lowest handling fees around. I think AnPost have similar??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

I bought the Vu+ box from Amazon DE warehouse and really happy with it. Performance is slightly better than H7 really want the fbc tuner. They have one in warehouse stock with an additional 10% off works out about 350 .

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08HJDF1Y4/ref%3Dox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A8KICS1PHF7ZO&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The exchange rate for March was 0.8562. Applying that to £105 gives VAT of €27.62. This is a Revenue charge, and cannot be changed by the delivery company. They collected that on behalf of Revenue, plus €5 for themselves, total €32.62? In my example for the VU I used £20 postage and €15 delivery fee. Changing those to £15 and €5 would take about €20 off my estimate of €454.

It's impossible to know how the Fedex total was calculated, without seeing a breakdown. But they could not have changed the VAT figure. If WOS charged UK VAT that would be a major mistake. They are well aware of the procedure going back years. The other variable is that items over €150 value, not including postage, can be liable to Customs Duty plus VAT on the Duty. But I think satellite receivers are not liable.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/brexit-and-european-orders-from-january-2021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

If you're happy to drive to Newry, you can also get delivered to OohPod (similar to the old Parcel Motel) and possibly avail of free shipping (need to check with WOS) and avoid all of the customs/VAT malarky. Theres a couple of other similar services around other parts of UK/ROI border also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

tango one, a VU + box is about 100 times better than a H7.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

Maybe I'm under selling it, I do think it's worth the money over the h7 but fir general viewing or a 2nd box the h7 is fine.

• Advertisement

When I bought from WOS , Fedex was the one and only option for shipping , they definitely took a hefty premium for themselves , no doubt about it.

But that has been the way lately , used to buy SACD's and Vinyl from Analog productions in America , and fedex shipping was OK back then , but lately , its simply not worth it , double or triples the price of any item.

Not sure if this is related to Enigma or specifically the H7s but I found something that others might find interesting….

I noticed that the box was intermittantly going very slow. Mosly around anything to do with channels. Like bringing up EPG, bouquets, or just going up/down channels.

It might take 3-4 seconds to move to the next channel with me even thinking that the batteries in the remote were going at one point. sometimes it would take longer or not work at all.

Turns out the problem was that the NAS was not accessible!

I have the recordings going to a share, but the timeshift is on local HDD so I was surprised that a missing mount would cause such a symptom. Anyway, maybe this will come up in a search for someone in the future….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Out of interest where is your epg getting saved to? hopefully internal hdd or usb.

On another query H7S with internal ssd and externally powered hdd i notice my external hdd is not spinning down?

I only found out last week when i needed to plug the usb back in and have heard it still spinning which was odd.

Default is off after 5 mins

I left it on Internal Flash.

Is there an advantage to moving it to a local drive?

You never ever save epg to inernal flash, it will break the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Look not saying it's not better to move to hd/ssd but how is it going to break the box? Plenty of boxes dont even have a hd installed, are they all going to break, no.

You need to have a hdd or usb to save your epg to 20 odd years ago i got a nice expensive one and it kept on crashing as the internal flash got filled up and cost me an arm and a leg to get it reflashed as new nothing about them then.

When he mentioned box running slow and changing channels i guessed epg issue and it is. If you have a free partition setup from scratch and i bet you will notice the difference.

I don't know of many boxes that dont have either a usb or hdd facility that can run or store a 7 day epg.

Name me one and I'll buy it.

I like when boxes have 2 usb ports for upscaling . Bought around 6 mini usb 8gb to plug into boxes before i thought i wanted to record.

• Advertisement

Sure, I'll move it to local disk.
    But I am genuinely interested in the reason it "will break the box"…

@greasepalm
    What are you upscaling with 2 USB ports?

Only using 1 usb port for external powered hdd.

Previous single port i had micro usb plugged in for epg and no room for hdd.

Nowadays everything can go on hdd as grew up using micro usb plugged in and had it separate

Box goes slow when internal flash gets filled up and might have to reflash it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No matter what storage option you're operation your box with you must make sure you dont run out of disk space. It is after all just a linux system like any other pc os and it continually needs space for temp, swap, log files etc just to run. Some of that can be put onto ramdisk but still. And there are means of making sure like purge and cleanup options. Having the EPG in the internal flash as such is not breaking the box.

In the end nothing beats having an internal ssd installed especially if you want timeshift/recording. They cost very little too these days. I'm using one of those Chinese ones from Amazon and they're €35 for 512 GB which is plenty. You'll pay that for a decent USB stick too.

I get you…
    We've all seen what happens when / fills up!

I've an SSD for timeshift already so it's no drama moving EPG there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ok I done something stupid. I went into

Menu, Setup, Tuners and Scanning, AutoBouquetMaker and thenStart Scan

It went off and came back a few ins later but loads of the channels are now gone, like I have Saroview and a few UK ones but most are gone

What have I done wrong :-) sorry

Can you say the image you are using and the skin, go menu, information, about and read off.

Did box come set up for you?

And are you sure all channels are gone? Can be more than one page. Also when on say BBC1 arrow up and press red

To do it correcetly you have to configure ABM and hide unwanted sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Virtuosso Image Xtrere

BlueHD v3.1 by rossi2000

Image 6.2.011

Box came setup and build.

So if I go into the childrens section, I only have CBBC and Cbeebies, all the other kids channels are gone :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

HELP!!!

My sanity is at risk have a H7S running OpenVix with Saorview and 2 x SAT, all good. I have created a custom Bouquet called Home using WebIF and added some channels from Saorview and Freeview/sat etc. I need this for the other half as she can't fathom switching between Bouquets in the EPG.

I want to be able to set the custom Bouquet to be the default on startup so that the EPG will always show the custom list of channels. I have looked and haven't found a solution that works, I'm undoubtably doing something daft. Have tried moving bouquets etc no joy. Can anyone help.

A million thanks in advance

TL

I never use the EPG to search for a channel as have ABM setup and while on a channel press the arrow button below the OK button. Blue button shows favourites , Sports , Movies , News etc .Clicking on that section opens up the list of channels contained. I never bothered to setup my own favourites.

• Advertisement

thumper, the correct way is to add all the channels you need to the favourites bouquet and that means when and if you do run ABM the favourites will not be touched. With the HOME bouquet its possible if you run ABM it will be deleted but never fear. To what you ask do this, press the fav button and then with all the bouquets onscreen press menu see red enable move selct that then on the home bouquet press ok it will red, use arrow up to move to top, once in place press ok. NB you must not diable move mode , menu red, exit . Now go to home bouuet and select it then arrow up and see list of channels, now press menu and see 1 set as start up, select it. Now when in home bouquet and you turn on box it will start with that channel.

Here is a tip if you stay in home bouquet then the buttons on remote will select channels, like 1 = rte, 3 = itv 4 = ch4 and so on so press 1 and then ok . give it a go this is from memory and may have missed a step.

Advertisement