Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭green daries

Chin up the thing is it's the very ones who want to put you out of business are using that data and the very ones who are supposed to shout for us are not able to get there points across well enough ........ not that there thick or anything .....its maybe just not slick enough is all...... as they say In the films don't let the bustards see your beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Jack98

The epa have defined the nitrates targets as 4-8mg of nitrates per litre which is totally unattainable. When derogation goes they might start enforcing and inspecting all the bs that’s been forced on dero farmers for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The sooner the better the messers are caught up with and dealt with the better for us all …..I would find it hard to shop a neighbour alright even some of the ones I’d have little time for …but like others here I’m sure it’s always the lads trying and making the effort to comply that get inspected and fined the most whilst the lad that don’t give a shite and with sun standard practices and yards that seem to get away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭alps

They are not targets set on agriculture. They are targets the EPA want to acheive. There is no regulation to make it. Our only regulation cane from EU in the nitrates review which stated we needed to see an improvement. That's the only target we've been tasked with. The EPA dontbsetbregulatorybtargets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭jaymla627

In fairness alot of these yards are ran by men 50 plus years old, with no one following after them, their not going to spend anything to clean up their act and will slop away till they drop…

The thresehold of pollution needed to close a yard down and stop the above from farming is huge, the man beside us was only dealt with after he contaiminated the local water supply for the village, he was made build sheds, house cattle, pipe open drains, he used the sheds for one year, than reverted back to out-wintering everything again, and he's not even on the councils radar anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve nothing to say to that only that you’re a complete idiot that probably would be better off taking a break from the internet. You’re gone down a lot of rabbit holes here lately with some of the rubbish you’re talking about the past few months and it’s probably not healthy for you.

As @straight advised, get the radio for the parlour and stay away from politics, you’ll be a lot better off for it. Good luck and mind yourself.

The epa targets that are not met and the reports they issue like the one last week will all be presented to the commission by them when the review takes place and will be detrimental to us, they monitor a couple of thousand sites whereas teagasc only monitor 6 as part of their effort to demonstrate improved water quality.

When the epa show that the majority don’t improve as we haven’t been given enough time to allow for improvement due to measures we’re implementing best case scenario we can hope for is what bada posted during the week a derogation of 200 for land around parlour and none for land 20km plus away imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

"The farmer that got the inspection mentioned to the department man in his yard that he was quite happy for them to check all they wanted on his farm but by any chance would they call into this other yard on the way back as both farms are joining the same stream. He was told this was of no concern of his and he shouldn’t be telling them how to do their jobs."

You wrote that this morning. What type of bollox would tell an inspector to go and visit another man's yard.

No wonder I am gone mad!!@

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

In all fairness some of these kips with no facilities are doing very little harm theve only a few cattle theres far more damage been done with slurry being spread in spring legally at wrong time

Am I the only one on this forum whom thinks it wrong to tell an inspector to call in to my neighbours yard. Did he think he would get three stars or a bar of chocolate. (Some days this yard, aint exactly sparkling).

Nothing to do with the wrongs or rights of polluting.

If I'm on my own, il take a few weeks off of boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

You come on with what sounds like a hugely embellished little story about someone that reports his neighbour and then call a well known poster here an idiot for not liking that. Maybe it's you that could do with a break from it because that is an entirely natural reaction to hearing someone do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think everyone forgets life like here is a marathon not a sprint.

Pace yourselves folks. ..

You’re dead right it’s completely wrong to tell an inspector to call to a neigbor, a sure fire way to make enemies and be outcasted by your neigbors. When anyone around us gets an inspection or ourselves you’d ring each other to tell each other what went wrong for you and what they’re looking for not telling the inspector to call over to the neigbor because I had a few issues maybe the neigbor has more to take the heat off me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I have to say I m really struggling to see a future in what we are at.i m 40 years running the show here and I KNOW the current regime and its implications is not going to work around here.i ve 2 fellas very interested in farming but they are both pursuing other careers for the moment until about 10 years time when we will consider our options and where we are in life.i ve always been positive about farming despite much hardships and knockback s and had built a good business which I would have thought would have provideda living for one and possibly both and hence they have a strong interest to the extent my daughter feels we talk about nothing else.and it's not just the current regime ,I think we all know there s much more to come.i think anyone is nuts to borrow to invest in farming and especially milking cows now as the model that has worked so well since the the 90 s is being undermined not by facts or science but by agendas ,lobbying and politics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭DBK1

The same poster that only a few weeks ago opened a thread which from his own words was to post about squandering and waste in Ireland while they try and run farmers off their land with stupid regulations.

What does he think causes the regulations to be changed and made more strict all the time? Do you think a half acre yard with shed capacity for about 70 cattle that’s filled for the winter with double if not triple that amount which results in the whole yard being a 2 foot deep slurry lagoon that flows out into the road and down the hill towards the village and into the stream being inspected will help to relax all the regulations being implemented at present? If the water samples from the stream come back too high for nitrates all the farmers along the stream could be restricted further on their fertiliser and slurry practices and it would be due to the one man that’s openly and brazenly polluting the stream, why should they have to put up with that either?

There’s nothing embellished in what I posted. If I put up the name of the farmer I’d be fairly certain there’d be someone on here that would have been at a walk on his farm at some stage over the years that would know him and know his set up. I could also put up a video of the offending farmers place but I won’t be doing that either. I’ve never reported anyone for anything in my life, and I hope I never have a department man in to inspect my yard because while it’s not bad it’s far from perfect too, but if I was to be blamed for directly polluting a stream that I know I’m not polluting and I know the cause of the pollution further up the stream I’d certainly be standing my ground and arguing my case with the department.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I agree.i adopt a policy of saying as little as possible to inspectors but at all time I m polite and friendly.i would not tell them to call to another yard.no good will come of it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A few years ago 2 department vets came here to blood a few cows as the calves off them that I'd sold had been stolen ftom the buyers farm. Stolen being used very lightly there, he's a gangster farmer. A couple of the cows had 1 tag and they reported me, I had an inspection. The vet who did the inspection said these lads think they'll get brownie points for reporting such a trivial matter but we all know they're assholes. I actually had replacement tags on farm the first day they came out

I have great respect for your posts and opinion. And I said absolutely nothing about what you said, and I absolutely did not in anyway try and say it was OK to pollute.

But I did call that farmer an informer fffing kunt.

Were you that guy, if not why are you so bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

On a side note, when does an informer become a whistle-blower?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭straight

What's that about 200kg around the parlour? Didn't see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭ginger22

Is it any wonder farming is f,,,,d, with all the infighting. Divide and conquer, The boys at the top have yee well sized up.

That was muted before all land within 20km of parlour would be 200kg/n if they reduced the limit now but didnt get rid of derogation completely and all land youve maps for over 20km wouldn’t be eligible and carry a max stocking rate of 170kg/n. You’d imagine best case scenario at the next review would be this outcome before they get rid of the derogation completely for us here in the review after that.

Talking about neighbours I have a nice hive of bees after moving in to the cavity block wall here in the yard. Very quiet, you can walk straight up to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

spring 27.5 1.95 kg/ms 5.6 kg 15%

autumn 20 1.65kg/ms 4.2kg

feeding 2.5kg dm of silage

didnt do a walk yet but only grew 45 last week. cover around 600

fat is all over the place. could be 4% one day then its 3.7% today. any reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cowman10

your dead right nothing lower then an informer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Freddie Scappaticci's couldn’t say it any better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭straight

Has it got to do with the amount of fibre in the diet vs leaf. Maybe eating more silage some day or a stronger paddock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭alps

Can you point us to where this was mooted?

Latest discussions around land a distance from base would drop to 170 unless it can be shown to carry stock year round, like housing on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bit ironic this bit of information

When the current rockstar bull of high ebi sons has a figure of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone using paracide dosing? I think it's an organic dose. Or anything similar?

Advertisement