Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Read above - if it is a hearing to decide the appropriate sentencing, then why is the State - who have proved their case - not allowed to bring witnesses to discuss his character ? Why only positive witnesses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ok so perhaps it wasn't an actual lie (which makes sense as otherwise they'd presumably be guilty of perjury) but IMO that doesn't say anything good about their character either. A refusal to testify about someone who beat a woman in an unprovoked attack is, in itself, very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Do we really have to repeat everything that was posted here yesterday?

The "He had to answer questions" bit is just completely full of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

He didn't, he was called as a witness as to the conduct of Crotty in the df. The prosecution also got to question him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes the state prosecutor could have asked him that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Jesus christ, the majority of the thread has been taken up with this back and forth.

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

He expressed an opinion that beating up a woman in an unprovoked attack after an evening out drinking was "out of character". How could Togher's experience of Crotty from being his superior officer possibly provide him with that level of insight into Crotty's character? That was speculation - and should have been taken as nothing more than evidence of how poor Togher's judgment of character actually was. Instead it was taken on faith by the judge. Very strange.

Unless the officer is friends with him outside of work anything he says is only subjective.

I could give glowing work references to those I work with but couldn't tell you anything about their demeanor out of work.

He can only give factual answers based on what he knows.

You can be sure the officer was well aware of what was coming down the road for Crotty post conviction, and there's nothing to suggest he's going to try keep Crotty in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭amacca

Indeed....I think any reasonable person would in fact think it was excessively lenient…

That is if you compare it to what a reasonable person would think the consequences of such an act should be

Now if you compare it to other sentences handed down in this country for similar acts then maybe it isn't excessively lenient

There's the problem imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Of all the farcical sentences handed out by our courts recently, I haven't quite seen a reaction across social media like this one. Hopefully this goes back before the courts and Crotty ends up in jail. Defies belief that he's not there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

I was staggered to read that.

It seems the DPP was OK with a suspended sentence. What sentence did Counsel for the DPP expect beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

Crotty is VERY, VERY LUCKY that he was not up for murder and he would have to 100% admit guilt because it is there in front of him on the CCTV IF EVEN ONE OF THOSE KICKS/PUNCHES LANDED ON THE JOUGLAR OR A PARTICULAR PARTOF THE BRAIN. He is a very lucky man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

Of course, but that's not how they see it. As his Dad explained to us, if the media hadn't picked up on this, his son would have walked away with hardly a scratch on him.

A criminal record is a great barrier to anyone's future unless they fancy a lucrative career in one of our notorious worldwide import/distribution organisations in which case it would be a badge of honour. Why do you think he boasted on social media about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He received 3 years of a possible 5, albeit suspended. The DPP know the chance of a sentence being increased by two more years is slim enough and the chance of him being imprisoned off the back of it is smaller again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Crotty's father is an enabler and stupid into the bargain. Yes it's all the media fault, not his son's fault or the judges for turning it into a national story . No wonder the son is the way he is with a parent who won't put the blame where it lies. A good parent would recognise their child messed up and hold them to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

That’s fair enough so. I dint k iknow enough - or indeed anything - about army discipline but can he still be court martialed? Do we have military jails ??

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭walshb

any type decent parent would be disgusted snd horrified at what their child had done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭doyle55

Can you imagine the army posting that thug abroad and he doing that to an Indigenous female in a war-torn country?

He would undo years of Ireland's reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

The "mans" obviously a coward and a fool , unsuitable to be allowed among the general public and for public service especially armed service

jail him for his crime and exclude him from service as unsuitable ,

the publicity is a good thing it exposes further the disgustingly poor service that judges give the people in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I feel (hope) like this will be a watershed moment for sentencing of guilty verdicts for unprovoked attacks.

The amount of suspended or light touch sentencing for these vicious attacks sickens me to the core.

And while this incident is absolutely abhorrent as it was against a defenceless woman, too many young men have also been left dead or maimed for life after these unprovoked or one punch coward attacks.

Google Annie Mulvaney and Advic to see how long campaigns have been going on to help and highlight victim's rights.

I know of several incidents in my own county or neighbouring counties where young men have been left dead or maimed and their perpetrators received the most lenient of sentences that in no way reflects the seriousness of the crime they carried out.

This young lady, Natasha O' Brien I feel will be a huge catalyst in turning the tide against the so called justice system in Ireland. People are really outraged for her and her story is gaining momentum.

I'm sure the last thing this lady ever wanted in life was to be the face of (hopefully) a watershed moment but I would like to commend her courage and bravery for speaking out so eloquently and allowing this debate to snowball.

Best of luck to Natasha in her healing and recovery.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not a chance. This incident will be forgotten about quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭thegame983

The DPP would know, better then anybody, that a guilty plea to assault would most likely not result in a prison sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

He also raised a son who thinks knocking a woman out is something to be proud of. I don't know anything about this family but I'm getting the picture.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm guessing the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
    Not saying the father did anything like the son did, but he was very defensive in that clip. Suggests, imo, that he didn't really see anything wrong with what happened.

No. In general he cannot be tried twice for the same event. In general military courts only deal with issues that happen while on duty or in a barracks.

There is/was a military prison in the Curragh but not sure if it's still in use. It would be rare enough that it would have been occupied.

During my time I know of just two people who spent time in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A very good turnout in Limerick for the protest and subsequent march. I see RTE are reporting it as @ 500. Perhaps during the early part, but by the time Natasha spoke I'd have but the crowd at closer to 1000.

The crowd seemed to grow more as the march stretched from Sarsfield St to Glentworth st as they proceeded down Henry St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

This defensive thing is engrained into our culture. If anyone wants to check it out eg just go to a parent -even the mother- and complain/report that her son is constantly ‘picking’ at her son , shoving him for no reason, taking his rubber, etc, etc, etc, etc and see what the reaction will be. It will start off like ‘How dare you——————‘

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Unfortunately, nothing will change until they increase the prison capacity. There's nowhere to send these scum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement