Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Is he not mostly playing in back row now and not second row anymore?

Soroka, like Diarmuid Mangan, looks to have more of the build of a 6 than a second row. He's listed at 6ft 5in and 106kgs. He might be able to fill in there a bit, but we're in trouble if expecting him to log decent minutes in the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Soroka could come off the bench in most fixtures. I see he's small for a lock but, benching would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭letsbefair

So DuPont played for ST tonight and Hugo did not play for us last week !!!!! Explain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dupont didn't have to travel to South Africa…

anyway, Keenan apparently would have been available tomorrow had we made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

In order to qualify to play in the Olympics you had to play in at least 2 tournament in think. Dupont went and played his earlier in the year and didn't miss the knockout games.

I don't think there are any qualifications for it - nothing I can find about it anyway. Keenan only played in one (in Madrid) and I'm pretty sure once the team qualifies they can send whoever.

There was no tournament last week anyway, I think he was just training with the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭letsbefair

ROG did us a big favour loosing last night, if ST win top 14 we will be a top seed in the draw for the next Heineken! Thanks ROG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This final is showing up Leinster badly unfortunately. Bulls have **** the bed and really aren't that good.

You put them through the phases, don't allow them free possession to kick and they begin to panic and make mistakes.

We've a better squad than both sides. We know that through our travails in Europe and the struggles of the respective finalists. We must work out what's happening at the end of season. We don't lack for effort and we've seen some of our players put in blockbuster performances in finals, but tactically we've come up short every time.

You put them through the phases, don't allow them free possession to kick and they begin to panic and make mistakes.

We're completely useless at doing this though.

• Advertisement

This season, maybe, but we did this brilliantly to teams for years.

Oh for sure. But we have, for whatever reasons, deliberately moved away from that. I just don't find myself thinking that we let things slip against the Bulls watching this, I just think this year Glasgow were better set up to win.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

Nienaber tried to turn Leinster into South Africa light. He had wrecked any semblance of attacking structure in the team.

They will go nowhere unless this rush defense only (and all other aspects of the game are cast aside) "plan" is abandoned.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think we're goosed until Nienbar goes, was a massive mistake in appointing him. We've been materially worse in every regard this season.

Not having this moan about Nienaber destroying Leinster's attacking foundations either.

That system led to feck all trophies in Lancaster's final two seasons either. A change was required and Nienaber brought it.

There's some deeper flaw than a change in systems going on. No idea what it is.

Absolutely, but I'm just saying we are not really capable of playing the way Glasgow did there. I would also add they were poor in the first half and they adapted very well in order to find a lot more space. I don't think we adapt well to games at all and that is a consistent thing going back years.

The system was fine, frankly the envy of probably every other team out there. Poor player performance in the the Finals doesn't mean the system was at fault. Nienbar has taken apart the best aspect of Leinster and replaced it with nothing. His lauded defense was undone by the most basic of kicking tactics, which as a SA, he ought to know best how to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

100% I don't know if It's mental or physical or what but it is very much present and has been since the 2022 final IMO. Lancaster is getting treated like a Messiah when it was worse the last two years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I disagree, the system wasn't fine. The Saracens final and the first La Rochelle final showed our attacking rugby could easily disrupted by a fast up defence and our own defence pressured by heat carries closer to the ruck and through strong set piece.

In general the rugby was great to watch, but we lost two Champions Cup finals on the bounce and failed to make the finals on the URC despite finishing top of the table both years.

• Advertisement

I don't think that's an accurate reflection of what happened in those games. Like the Saracens final was a pretty close affair, and if not for mistakes on our part ( giving up tje try befote the half and Ringrose blowing the overlap), eminently winnable.

That's generally been the issue in all our losses, stupid mistakes. Failing to clear out lines vs La Rochelle being the most consistent issue. We dominated them physically for the majority of the game, and had the winning of the last final if JGP looks left at the end to put Baird or Lowe over, or of he is on the same page with Bryne to go for the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

IMHO I'd rather watch Lancasters Leinster than Nienbars anytime of the week.

But those mistakes are also failures of the system! We had about 20 genuinely good minutes in last season's final. The opening 15 and the final 5-10. Between those minutes we gave La Rochelle easy entries to our 22 with poor kicking, tackling and an inability to deal with their rolling maul.

Our breakdown work was superb and we stole a lot of ball. But we couldn't convert to points or to ever really relieve pressure. Our final score on that game was in the 46th minute. There were 35 minutes left in that game were we predominantly had to defend. We did it heroically until the 70th minute when they scored. But it was all La Rochelle in that half. Our attacking patterns failed and we panicked.

This is all true, though the poor kicking was hardly the fault of the "system".

Also we didn't struggle to deal with their rolling maul. we consistently overturned it and they were scoring piss all off it. We just couldn't clear our lines afterwards. They scored one try after about 6 maul attempts - the problem was giving them that many chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don't think you can energy wise commit to a high energy blitz defense, and also have an offense that goes through tons of phases with quick ball. You probably have to commit to one or the other.

I honestly think for next year heavily emphasizing becoming excellent at that defensive strategy, and focusing on kicking game, line out maul etc would be a winning strategy. Especially with the right tighthead signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

Whatever we do we have to move away from the throwing the ball to a forward then whipping it out the back to the outhalf being our attack. It's so predictable and almost never leads to the forward carrying the ball up.

It worked when we first did it but have beaten it to death now and it just doesn't cut it anymore, need to start using our forward advantage and use one out running as a tool to collapse defences.

Were they though? Sexton and Keenan fluffing a straightforward clearance kick was on them imo, nothing to do with the system. The final last year, we were smashing them back in the rucks, the loss of Ryan being a big factor in the subsequent failure.

Even if, as you say, the system was deficient, it was a 90% solution. Needed to be tweaked and built upon, not wholly thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon next season will be another tough one. Basically, the attacking structures and skills seem to be poor. The defensive system looks easily exposed and there's hay to be made going wide. Bleyaandaal has a tough job, imo.

I would say that there's a lot of players who have got to get up to a higher gear. Chiefly, Milne, Deeny and the sub hookers. Looking at the squad, on paper it looks good as far as the front liners go but, the 2nd's need a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I think that's harsh and you don't talk about the rest of the league in your post. The 2nds and wider squad have it much harder than before and its far harder than before for the wider squad and you can't expect them to be anywhere near as dominant in league games as the past and you just ultimately need to accept that.

Don't think you can say both attack and defence are poo and if leinsters defensive structures were so easily exposed they wouldn't have been playing to the stage of their 2 competitions. They'd have been knocked out well before that

• Advertisement

There is hay to be made going wide because of the defensive system, but they make it incredibly hard to get the ball out wide. It looks bad when someone manages it but it's not a case that no one else has worked that out. The aggressive rush just stops them from accomplishing it.

All in all I'd say the overall defensive efficacy is about the same, even the if the system has changed radically.

Advertisement