Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭KIB4Life

Yeah I would have maybe Dublin ahead of everyone else, it’s Dublin’s All Ireland to lose. Then you have about 4 or 5 teams trying to get to Dublin, Kerry are next best, then Galway, Armagh, Donegal, Mayo and Tyrone all capable of beating one another in any given day.

Joe O’Muircheartaigh had up on twitter about the lack of support for the footballers from the county board, not paying for physio, which is absolute joke and a disgrace. The hurling snobs in the east of the county wouldn’t give that a care in the world, but Keating is originally a west Clare so you would think that he would support and at least back the team.

Fair play to Joe for calling out bollocks like him and others in the county board. Look it we are a long way off winning Sam Maguire, but at least back the players so give as much effort as their hurling counterparts so also have took bad hammers in the past, e.g. Limerick and Tipperary in 2019 and Kilkenny in the semi final in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i would take what joe says with a pinch of salt , it was proven that he put up a certain amount of fake news before the tyrone game on his twitter page in relation to the county board not paying for four players on the extended panel to stay overnight in omagh , when in fact the 4 players turned down the offer and traveled up on the day of the match for various reasons

dont be too surprised that this turns out to be false also , joe seems to have a chip on his shoulder in regards the current county board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

Football manager gone?

i highly doubt it , i have heard nothing anyway

great game in thurles today , harry doherty looks better with every game , paul rodgers had a fine game up until the second half , the referee was brutal for both teams and almost ruined what was an excellent game , i taught dara Kennedy and young ralphe were top class also . tough day for the two boys in midfield but what they were up against was good , sean og kilkenny and young mcnamara look like real prospects too , but it was some effort without mark o'brien our best player at the start of the year

BOC in my opinion is the next clare manager and the future is very bright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

A friend mentioned it to me, probably a false rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

massive kudos to all involved, the lads died with their boots on, in the end they were just exhausted and being numerically disadvantaged took its toll big time, one thing that was very apparent was the appalling standard of refereeing, nowhere near what should be a basic requirement for a national competition

two outstanding minor semi finals over the weekend and there is a serious calibre of players coming through in these counties

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Interesting report on Clare FM about Ryan Taylor coming back to full fitness. He's back in full training. https://www.clare.fm/sport/taylor-nearing-return-fitness-banner-eye-wexford-challenge-ireland-hurling-quarter-final/

All depends how he does in the training games, but he would be a welcome addition.

Let's see if he's named in the match day 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Figerty

Ya. Great engine but surely will take time to get confidence back. We need to strengthen the midfield and have subs ready to take over the load.

• Advertisement

Dropping Kelly into the Munster final for his first start of the season didn't exactly yield the result we hoped for.

Definitely need to be careful with Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Harry Doherty takes way too much out of the ball. He is a good prospect but needs tonnes of coaching. He got caught in possession alot today when he could have made a simple short pass. There are some tidy hurlers like the ones you mention.. a few are very small unfortunately aka Rodgers. I like Ball midfield..looks like he may have a high ceiling.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Leaving Kelly on for the 70mins was a mistake. He flittered in and out of the game. Scored 3 points ..had some awful misses from frees ( shouldn't be on them at all ever) and from open play. This Clare team have reached their ceiling under this coaching ticket. They are a good side but not as good as Limerick. The coaches are way off Limericks standards and the inability to change tack mid game is a fatal flaw. We have too many low IQ 'in game players ' .. 4 players and I ll name them who pass as a last option upfront..Rodgers, McCarthy, Fitzgerald and Kelly. Do they ever pick up anything from Shane O Donnell? We ll beat Wexford I presume and lose again to Kilkenny..thats best case scenario. I wouldnt be too surprised if Wexford finally turned us over. They are due one and they can see we aren't in the top top echelons..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Going back to this comment from January, I think the use of the term ‘fizzling out’ has rung true

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Knockdromin

Too soon to say. The fact that they were defeated in the Munster final by arguably the greatest team in the history of Munster hurling isn’t exactly proof of things having fizzled out. You didn’t dig out this old post before the Munster final.

Win tomorrow and they at the very least have matched 2022 & 2023, they also have silverware this time.

Sure, but in the 5 matches championship matches we played so far, none of them could be described a great performance. None of them were at the levels of 2022 or even 2023. The last 20 minutes v Cork was probably the best we played, and even that has the caveat of Cork having had their captain sent off.

The only scenario in which we were ever going to win Munster or the All-Ireland, was by performing to the absolute best of our ability - and hoping for a bit of luck on top of that. We are not doing that.

Hope things change tomorrow and we find another gear. Wexford can blow very hot and cold (especially when away from Wexford Park), it's possible we could play the way we have been playing and still maybe get over the line.

But we won't beat Kilkenny or Limerick without huge improvement.

Ryan Taylor not in the squad for tomorrow. Realistically we probably won't see him this season.

Only one change - Reidy back in, Lohan dropping to the bench.

Do you genuinely think there’s been any improvement on previous years?

Getting to the same round is no achievement . Do you think the team has been better?

• That's a bit harsh. Won the league and in a quarter with a very strong chance of a semi..

League means nothing - everyone knows that. It was completely forgotten about on the Monday.

I clarified in my above comment that it’s likely they’ll get to the same round this year but that is definitely not progress and I personally feel they haven’t been as good this year.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not harsh at all in my opinion, this isn't a new group of players, it's a bunch of players with All Ireland winners who were constantly getting to Munster finals and All Ireland semi-finals, even getting a replay.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• In fairness, it was the few years post 2013 when they really should have been winning All Irelands. Kind of feels like the last few years that their ceiling is just below that.

Whatever this Clare teams ceiling was post 2013 we didn't deliver. That team was tiny and we were told heralded a new era in hurling ..'Tiki Taka' Davy called it,like Barcelona. Podge Collins was our Iniesta and Kelly was our Messi or something like that. Turned out abit different ...Turned out a good big fella is infact better than a good small fella after all and here we are 11 years later.

The disappointing thing for me this year is how some guys have regressed a little. Adam Hogan is having a second year stutter and was well beaten in the Munster final. He needs to kick on and concentrate on his job rather than looking to antagonise corner fowards. By all means sledge a guy but don't let it put you off your game. Conlon amd Cleary have gone backwards aswell. Conlons issues look terminal.. Clearys ceiling was always rather low anyway .Kelly has regressed ,possibly because of injury.He ll surely improve. McCarthy is worse than last year.. Obviously Shane O Donnell is still excellent but he's never gonna score 2 -04. They are the same team as last year just playing alot worse. And the manager hasn't seen fit to play Crotty or any young guys from last years 20s. We are in an All Ireland quarter but we are further away from beating Kilkenny and Limerick than 2023. It's depressing

Post edited by PeggyShippen on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

If they get over today, there is a lot more in this team. The doom merchants on this board need to start looking at the positives.

But that's just a cliché 'There's a lot more in this team'.

Based on what? They got knocked out in the semis against Kilkenny two years in a row. They lost in the Munster Final to Limerick 3 years in a row.

Obviously they should get past Wexford, but I'm not sure what suggests they'd beat Kilkenny (assuming Cork beat Dublin), compared to losing to them previously.

Based on four things.

1. Against Limerick, we hit the post twice with no return. 4 point loss. Limerick hit it once, point gained. A little luck and momentum changes. Clare were not far away from Limerick. We lost by six.
    2. Lohan needs to use his full resources. Shanagher was used today and he needs to do more of that. Reidy starts, Galvin comes on. he's able to take off some players at the end without being fully gassed.
    3. Kelly is finding his way back to form.
    4. We now go at Kilkenny again, if we win, we have earned it and face a team with the weight of history of 5 in a row coming at them. I hope we will be tactically better this year than last year.

A little bit of luck and we are a different prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Not made with hands

You think a team chasing 1 in a row won't be under pressure in a final themselves?

And you seem to be ruling out Cork who would also b chasing 1 in a row.

Positives from today:

A win, Kelly’s performance, less wasteful long range shooting in the 2nd half, game time into a lot of lads, Shanagher (Lohan might actually use him as a Plan B), Rogers good on the frees, confidence builder for Quilligan, lots of competition for places in the forwards

Negatives from today:

Coughing up an awful lot of goal chances, Conlon and full back line still an issue, our self destruction at end of first half, wasteful shooting especially first half

btw did McCarthy get injured in the warmup forcing a change ?

Or was starting Shanagher all part of Lohan’s plan ?

• Advertisement

it was pre planned as there was talk all week about him starting ahead of aidan

it seems there was a bit of a miwadi and biscuit's meeting after the limerick game , where the players vented their anger at the lack of subs used in the munster final and predictable game plan , shannagher ads a far better target and is better at wining his own ball then mccarthy , it also means players like kelly , o'donnell and rodgers can inter change with each other making it almost impossible to man mark them

today shane reck was picking up rodgers and did well on him but as a result it allowed the likes of kelly and o donnell to have there way with the wexford backs , and when we brought on the likes of meehan, crotty and mccarthy it allowed is to hammer the hammer as the kerry lads would say and finish wexford off , too many times this year we had big leads built up and threw them away or let teams back into the game ,

it would seem the heart to heart which i am sure got heated a few weeks ago has came to the benefit of everyone

Advertisement