Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wife obsessed with male (gay) friend - marriage on the brink

• 22-06-2024 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi there, I’d really welcome some opinions on this. Married 20 years, together 27 years (since Leaving Cert) and have 3 teenaged kids (one with ASD). Our kids were lucky to have an amazing teacher, but he left the school at Christmas owing to a fall-out. Hearing this, my wife sprung into action and penned a heartfelt letter and got most of the parents to sign, basically appealing to the school to keep him because of how amazing he is. He’s gone out on his own now, and tutors by the hour. My wife has signed our kids up to this and to his Saturday club. She and he communicate via WhatsApp and I am not included (I asked, but she refused, saying it would be “weird”). During spring he was coming over to our place two evenings per week supposedly for a 1-hour tutoring session with our kids. My wife has insisted on cooking him dinner, which he eats first and then they chat. The session overruns and he basically stays in our place for about 3-4 hours each time (and sometimes twice a week). She’s now invited him to stay in our house back in Ireland (we currently live abroad) and is going back with him to drive him around, missing our 20-year anniversary in the process. And then, the day she gets back to me, after 3 nights away, she announces that she wants to invite this guy to a concert with her (reasoning that I wouldn’t be interested). When I protest, she says “Don’t be silly. He’s gay. He’s much younger” and then accuses me of being jealous and controlling. I think I may be losing my mind here, but does any of this sound normal? My attempts to impose boundaries have had no effect, and it just seems to be snowballing more and more. My kids really like this teacher and I think my wife is using this (plus his supposed orientation) as cover for her own infatuation. I’m so frazzled over this, I am at the point of ending the marriage. Is this an overreaction on my part? Thanks for any advice …

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

If this was a woman your wife was engaging in a friendship with would you be as upset? All those things sound like normal female friendship situations, your wife obviously feels safe enough with him to enjoy his company. Unless you tend to want to control your wifes friendships I'm at a loss as to why this upsets you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Luna84

I only read as far as teacher leaving so sorry if it was mentioned but what the hell would the kids care a teacher was leaving the school. In my primary school you had a different teacher every year and then in secondary a different teacher for each class throughout the day. Teachers were horrible in my day so I would have been happy one was leaving. I'd say your wife had something going on with him well before he planned to leave. Seems odd for her to get involved with the school regarding something she had no part to be involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I'm not.

Even if this was a female surely the amount of time spent eating and chatting goes way over and beyond tutoring a teenager?

And if this"gay male teacher" wants to go to Ireland and stay in the OP's house why does he need to be chaperoned by OPs wife? What age is he? Can he not find the house himself and find his bearings? Most of us travel everywhere and anywhere, we have Eircodes, Google Maps, we don't need our hand held as adults or to be "shown around". Bearing in mind OP's wife is leaving him and his 3 teenage kids in order to do this……then is coming back and immediately going to a concert with the teacher?

Give me a break! Even if this was a female most husbands would be raising eyebrows and asking what the hell is going on. And I am a female!

You are gullible if you don't think there is something going on. She is spending way too much time with this guy getting involved when he planned to leave the school. What had that got to do with her. Absolutely nothing is what. He comes around the house for hours, do you not think that is weird?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

See you point babyreignbow but at the end of the day this is a man not a woman, what if he swings both ways I think I might be concerned myself.

• Advertisement

Really? Must be just me so. I don't understand why "gay male" is in inverted commas, do you think he's sjust pretending to be gay?

Do you know any gay men? I can assure you they're no more interested in having a relationship with a straight woman then you are with a gay man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Well no but doesn't mean something could develope, maybe not, still Think i would feel as a husband uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭jackboy

Would It also be OK for a middle aged married with children man to befriend a young lesbian woman, including heading off for weekends away with her and concerts? Wife speaks up and he accuses her of being controlling. Does that sound OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭standardg60

Indeed, add in exclusion from the whatsapps and missing the anniversary she either wants out or taking OP for granted.

Only way to find out is for OP to seriously suggest ending the marriage, as hard as that sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm honestly not being a smartarse here but are you sure he's gay and it's not her covering for herself? This seems way over the top platonic relationship or not. I don't think your overreacting at all. You need to have a long sit down with her and explain that this guy is getting in the way of your marriage. It's certainly not normal. Inviting him to stay, spending hours with him, going to gigs with him because you wouldn't be interested? I've been to lots of gigs I had no interest in with my wife and vice versa we just went to have a night together. I think ending the marriage is a bit premature but some serious boundaries need to be set and does he not realise that it's strange to be spending so much time with a married woman with no interaction with her husband? A long sit down with her is urgently needed and if she doesn't understand there's an issue something seriously isn't right and maybe professional help might be needed with a marriage counsellor maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Why wouldn't you bother read the full post? What useful advice can you give after only reading 20% of the original post?

I see your point. A straight man probably isn't interested in a gay woman for her personality though. Women tend to feel safe around gay men and they can be fun to be with, especially if his wife is feeling lonely and doesn't have much female companionship. The op says they are living abroad atm so it might just be a case of having someone to spend time with.

I don't think the op should be concerned about it being anything other than a friendship however.

I read it after. I was transfixed on the teacher leaving the school. I hated teachers as they weren't nice to me so I was wondering why would kids care one left then also transfixed on the wife getting involved in something she had nothing to be part of(regarding him leaving). Seemed very strange to me and after regarding the whole thing she is obviously into this guy and deffo something going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

How can you be sure he’s gay?

End your friendship with the gay man or end the marriage, yeah? Yeah not controling at all. I think marriage counselling is probably a really good idea.

Gay straight or not he's interfering in a marriage. He must realise the two are spending a bit too much time together. If I was the friend I would have invited OP to the gig as a friendly gesture, not get in the way of the anniversary and say to her go enjoy your annivarsary we'll meet up next time. This friendship has more red flags than sports shop ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Even if this guy is 100% gay, the fact OP's wife is spending so much time with him is emotionally very tough on OP. Nobody ignores their married partner to this extent and expects everything to stay rosy at home and just to brush things off saying "you wouldn't be interested" or "that would look weird"!!

(I was in a relationship for 2 years with a man and even got pregnant with him (which I miscarried) only to find out he was gay but ashamed to "come out", so stuff happens, lines get blurred and anything can happen ).

OP's wife might be bored in the marriage and looking for outside attention and stimulation. If she was happy she probably wouldn't be seeking out this teacher's attention. Its still a huge disrespect to OP and to their marriage.

No he's not, unless you consider his wife to not be permitted to have a friend. From what I'm reading he didn't invite himself into her life, she clearly thinks highly of him as a person and as a teacher. I understand the op may be jealous of another man but that's the op's issue and it might be something that needs to be worked out in a theraputic setting.

As someone who's had frienships with gay men I'd be very concerned about the level of control being placed on his wife. Granted I wasn't in a relationship with anyone else but I'd never have considered them as anything other than good people who I had a lot of time for and if any man gave me an ultimatum I'd be quick to tell them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I think the answer is pretty simple like.

You need to sit down with your wife and tell her how you feel.

If she loves you she'll cool it with yer man and it'll be all good.

If she refuses then get a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You're assuming he's 100% gay and not bi at all. That seems naive. I know several men who presented as gay when we met, but who have since had relationships with women.

But even generally, if we had someone coming in supposedly to tutor our kids and who was spending more time hanging around with my o/h than with the kids they were meant to be teaching, plus there was a whatsapp thing going on that I was excluded from, and then going on holiday with them etc etc - TBH no matter what the sex of the respective participants I'd find that more than a bit much.

That's way more than a "friendship". It sounds like a teenage style crush. Not appropriate for a married person, even if it's not sexual.

I don't know whether going straight to "ending the marriage" is the right response, but for sure some honest talking is needed, and it sounds as though it may require some level of help or counselling to do that.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭Ted222

whether or not he’s gay is perhaps beside the point. Your wife is more interested in spending considerable time with someone else than with you.

She needs to appreciate that you’re uncomfortable with the relationship. While she might genuinely think you’re overreacting, as your life partner she should have some regard for your feelings.

I'm hearing what you're saying but I'm not buying it. Most gay men are just gay, really not interested in sexual relationships with a woman. He didn't say he was coming in tutoring ther kids, he may be operating in a private capacity in his own premises. I doubt she sees him as anything other than a gay man and if she is as naive as me then she genuinely only sees him as a good company. Maybe there are other issues in the marriage and he is filling a void but I'd not consider it in any way sexual or romantic.

Would she be expected to share whatapp conversations with a female friend? She has to show the girltalk to her husband, she went to a gig with a gayman and drove him back home after he visited them in Ireland. They are married for 20+ years, it sounds like your wife trusted you'd be ok with this.

No I don't think it's reasonable, I think it's an issue alright and I do think counselling is probably the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

What was your marriage like before this? Your wife seems to be getting something from this friendship that she hasn't been from your marriage. You're together a long time and perhaps day to day life has ground everyone down. I don't think you should issue any ultimatums but ye definitely need to have a chat about where things are going in your marriage.

Maybe it's just me but i would have the same reaction if the OPs wife was behaving the same way with a straight woman. It's about the interference in the marriage. My best friend happens to be a woman and men who she might start seeing don't seem to like that mostly. So when she get's in a relationship I take a step back. We see each other every day but no way would I meet her every day if she was married with kids. The friend here should be thinking to himself that maybe I'm a bit in the way here sometimes and cut back on the amount of time they spend together. That doesn't mean they can't be friends.

He didn't visit them in Ireland. He went for a weekend away with his wife in Ireland.

If she had a new female friend that she was having the sort of overly-intense friendship the OP described then I'd really think that was weird. What's the point in being married if your most intense relationship is with someone else entirely - and especially when it's not even an old friend with whom she might have a history from before she met her husband, but someone she's only recently met?

The thing about the Whatsapp group is not because I'd normally expect someone to share personal conversations, but this was allegedly the kids' tutor, so why was the husband excluded from the off? Sounds frankly bizarre.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I'm kinda glad I'm not married, I'd never be able for that level of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭standardg60

You need to read the OP again, you're way off in your statements.

• Advertisement

LOL Try bringing up three children, one of whom has ASD, with someone who acts like a giddy teen when they meet an interesting new friend. It's not about control it's about being able to rely on someone completely and without question because your relationship is what matters to them rather than their latest crush.

And you're right, if you're not able for that level of responsibility, just don't get married - and more important, don't have children.

No it's ok, I read it. I'm just used to not having to compromise friendships for another person. I'm probably too familiar with too many gay men aswell and I understand that's not everyone experience.

Everyone compromises friendships when they get married and have children. Sure most men would like to head out with the lads every weekend but married adults knows that would be incredibly selfish and immature.

I raised a human to adulthood by myself, I wasn't particularly allowed to have friendships or relationships, leet aalone go out with the lads every weekend until she herself was an adult so I do have some experience with responsibilities. (I was also celibate for most of my adult life so I'm fairly sure there was a lot I sacrificed for another person)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭csirl

If he's such a great teacher, why was he let go by the school? What was the falling out?

Just wondering if it was a boundaries issue with colleagues etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The tutor/ex-teacher cannot fail to notice the level of attention he's getting, and the time spent on him, and he cannot fail to realise that it's completely out of the ordinary, and frankly, just inappropriate.

That he has not dialled it back either is quite alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Then consider perhaps, that you shouldn't proffer advice to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd say the chance of the fella being gay are between slim and none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

"He didn't say he was coming in tutoring their kids…"

He did. you need to read more carefully before you respond.

OP, this looks like a very tricky situation. As you have probably seen here, if you intervene it will be very easy to depict you as a controlling partner. However I think that most people, if they're honest and really try to imagine themselves in your shoes, can absolutely see why you're so upset.

Nobody here knows the history of your marriage so it's almost impossible to give advice.

Here's what I would suggest.

First, have a long think about whether there is something else at play here. Is this really about the friend or might there be some other resentment on the boil? There might be something you need to address either with yourself or with your wife.

If you can confidently rule that out, be very careful in how you approach this with your wife. Be really clear with yourself and with her about what exactly the difficulty is. I would say that you should avoid at all costs broaching the subject of infidelity. It seems unlikely that any infidelity has taken place and it's a very incendiary topic to introduce if you're trying to fix things. Focus on the fact that she has suddenly begun prioritising this chap and, to a certain extent, excluding you.

It's entirely possible that she is excited and energised because she feels she has made a proper friend. It's also possible that she has a crush on him, which will burn out soon enough. Whatever you do, don't attempt to 'impose boundaries' or lay down the law. That will make him look like an even more appealing prospect, whatever her true feelings for him might be.

Very bad advice he is giving too. I don't know any gay people but gay or not. Straight fellas hanging out with other straight fellas excessively is the cause of so may break ups and even worse when you are married and kids are involved.

Just cause he is supposedly gay does not give him a card to spend so much time with this woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

It's massively important that you lay out the issues you have with this situation. While this tutor presumably realizes that you are unhappy with the situation, he doesn't have any responsibility to you, your wife on the other hand does.

If you lay out your stresses and anxieties about what's going on and your wife dismisses them, then she's simply saying your discomfort is much less important than what she's getting out of this. You need to be very careful about how you lay out how this is affecting you, you probably need to give some time thinking about it yourself, and separate the different strands of this, is the thoughts/possibility that he's not gay and your wife is being unfaithful? Is it that she prioritizes having him in her life over your discomfort and probably other things? Has she abandoned other friends for this relationship?

To tackle this and get your own feelings straight you need steady ground beneath your feet, and understand your own feelings and distress at what is going on.

Best of luck OP, this may be nothing, but also may be a bad sign for your marriage. If a partner in a relationship ignores the distress they are causing their partner it's never a good sign. Right now it sounds like that is what your wife is doing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Did you happen to note that one of the kids has ASD???? A good teacher can make all the difference to such a kid and as you seem to have discovered bad teachers can also have an impact….

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

OP here again. Thanks so much for all of the responses. Just some clarifications: the tutor engages with my other 2 children, not the one with ASD. Secondly, the marriage is in poor enough shape anyway and has been for some time. My wife avoids sleeping in the same bedroom as me (alleging that she needs to help get our son with ASD to sleep), so sex is very infrequent. My wife had a huge crush on a straight male teacher before, back in 2020, which made lockdown hell for me. This new guy’s orientation was something he supposedly confided in my wife, and it is to be kept secret. Make of that what you will. I find the whole thing horribly unsettling but feel constrained by my responsibilities even though, frankly, I want to toss myself into the nearest large river …

Go and talk to someone, reach out and seek professional help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Jizique

And if the husband was lavishing this time and attention on a younger female? What would you advise his wife?

I've no interest in engaging in a strawman argument, the op cited that his wife is hanging out with their kids gay teacher a lot. He's clarified that there are other issues in the marriage so lets not speculate any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Jizique

Why not? Sauce for goose etc. If I was to tell my wife I was hanging out and going to gigs with a younger "gay" fame acquaintance, I would be looking for a lawyer, and rightly so

I'm pretty sure I've already answered that question. As a gay woman, I dealt with a man with an unhealthy obsession for a long time and while he assured me he was just a friend his interest caused a lot of pain for us. A man who is interested in a gay woman probably has some issues that he's not ready to acknowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭scottser

This, all day long. It also sounds like OP has a wife who would not be averse to an affair either.

OP, you might as well ask her straight out if she wants a divorce instead of playing you for a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭Ted222

Not since the immaculate conception has a man been asked to accept so much on trust.

Maybe she is in the level, but the other circumstances point to a possibility of playing away.

Time for a bit of straight talking I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement