Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife obsessed with male (gay) friend - marriage on the brink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

No it's ok, I read it. I'm just used to not having to compromise friendships for another person. I'm probably too familiar with too many gay men aswell and I understand that's not everyone experience.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Everyone compromises friendships when they get married and have children. Sure most men would like to head out with the lads every weekend but married adults knows that would be incredibly selfish and immature.

I raised a human to adulthood by myself, I wasn't particularly allowed to have friendships or relationships, leet aalone go out with the lads every weekend until she herself was an adult so I do have some experience with responsibilities. (I was also celibate for most of my adult life so I'm fairly sure there was a lot I sacrificed for another person)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭csirl

If he's such a great teacher, why was he let go by the school? What was the falling out?

Just wondering if it was a boundaries issue with colleagues etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The tutor/ex-teacher cannot fail to notice the level of attention he's getting, and the time spent on him, and he cannot fail to realise that it's completely out of the ordinary, and frankly, just inappropriate.

That he has not dialled it back either is quite alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Then consider perhaps, that you shouldn't proffer advice to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd say the chance of the fella being gay are between slim and none.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

"He didn't say he was coming in tutoring their kids…"

He did. you need to read more carefully before you respond.

OP, this looks like a very tricky situation. As you have probably seen here, if you intervene it will be very easy to depict you as a controlling partner. However I think that most people, if they're honest and really try to imagine themselves in your shoes, can absolutely see why you're so upset.

Nobody here knows the history of your marriage so it's almost impossible to give advice.

Here's what I would suggest.

First, have a long think about whether there is something else at play here. Is this really about the friend or might there be some other resentment on the boil? There might be something you need to address either with yourself or with your wife.

If you can confidently rule that out, be very careful in how you approach this with your wife. Be really clear with yourself and with her about what exactly the difficulty is. I would say that you should avoid at all costs broaching the subject of infidelity. It seems unlikely that any infidelity has taken place and it's a very incendiary topic to introduce if you're trying to fix things. Focus on the fact that she has suddenly begun prioritising this chap and, to a certain extent, excluding you.

It's entirely possible that she is excited and energised because she feels she has made a proper friend. It's also possible that she has a crush on him, which will burn out soon enough. Whatever you do, don't attempt to 'impose boundaries' or lay down the law. That will make him look like an even more appealing prospect, whatever her true feelings for him might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Luna84

Very bad advice he is giving too. I don't know any gay people but gay or not. Straight fellas hanging out with other straight fellas excessively is the cause of so may break ups and even worse when you are married and kids are involved.

Just cause he is supposedly gay does not give him a card to spend so much time with this woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

It's massively important that you lay out the issues you have with this situation. While this tutor presumably realizes that you are unhappy with the situation, he doesn't have any responsibility to you, your wife on the other hand does.

If you lay out your stresses and anxieties about what's going on and your wife dismisses them, then she's simply saying your discomfort is much less important than what she's getting out of this. You need to be very careful about how you lay out how this is affecting you, you probably need to give some time thinking about it yourself, and separate the different strands of this, is the thoughts/possibility that he's not gay and your wife is being unfaithful? Is it that she prioritizes having him in her life over your discomfort and probably other things? Has she abandoned other friends for this relationship?

To tackle this and get your own feelings straight you need steady ground beneath your feet, and understand your own feelings and distress at what is going on.

Best of luck OP, this may be nothing, but also may be a bad sign for your marriage. If a partner in a relationship ignores the distress they are causing their partner it's never a good sign. Right now it sounds like that is what your wife is doing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Did you happen to note that one of the kids has ASD???? A good teacher can make all the difference to such a kid and as you seem to have discovered bad teachers can also have an impact….

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

OP here again. Thanks so much for all of the responses. Just some clarifications: the tutor engages with my other 2 children, not the one with ASD. Secondly, the marriage is in poor enough shape anyway and has been for some time. My wife avoids sleeping in the same bedroom as me (alleging that she needs to help get our son with ASD to sleep), so sex is very infrequent. My wife had a huge crush on a straight male teacher before, back in 2020, which made lockdown hell for me. This new guy’s orientation was something he supposedly confided in my wife, and it is to be kept secret. Make of that what you will. I find the whole thing horribly unsettling but feel constrained by my responsibilities even though, frankly, I want to toss myself into the nearest large river …

Go and talk to someone, reach out and seek professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

And if the husband was lavishing this time and attention on a younger female? What would you advise his wife?

I've no interest in engaging in a strawman argument, the op cited that his wife is hanging out with their kids gay teacher a lot. He's clarified that there are other issues in the marriage so lets not speculate any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

Why not? Sauce for goose etc. If I was to tell my wife I was hanging out and going to gigs with a younger "gay" fame acquaintance, I would be looking for a lawyer, and rightly so

I'm pretty sure I've already answered that question. As a gay woman, I dealt with a man with an unhealthy obsession for a long time and while he assured me he was just a friend his interest caused a lot of pain for us. A man who is interested in a gay woman probably has some issues that he's not ready to acknowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭scottser

This, all day long. It also sounds like OP has a wife who would not be averse to an affair either.

OP, you might as well ask her straight out if she wants a divorce instead of playing you for a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Ted222

Not since the immaculate conception has a man been asked to accept so much on trust.

Maybe she is in the level, but the other circumstances point to a possibility of playing away.

Time for a bit of straight talking I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Honestly? I could be way off, but my first instinct when I read your post isn't that your wife is having an affair, but that she is a kind person who is being taken advantage off by a younger person who lost his job.

Free meals twice a week, free stays at your house... it sounds (to me) like she is being taken advantage off. A freeloader... Is he the charming, flattering type?

He may also be filling some need for friendship / companionship that your wife has, does she have any other good friendships? Who would she normally go to concerts with?

Excuse the question, but what is your marriage like outside of this, do you share interests, do stuff together?

I am a woman in my fifties and my closest friend is a gay man, (has been since we were in secondary school together) . Many women find gay men make great friends!

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think the point of your post has been lost a bit OP. I think you're worried that your wife is obsessed with another man. Actually, it's in your title. Whether he's gay or straight is actually irrelevant. Your wife has become obsessed with another man.

I'm guessing she has a little crush. These things happen. But being married and having a family generally means that you don't act on the crush. She appears to be acting on this crush to quite a degree. Maybe she feels he's "safe" to have a crush on as nothing is likely to happen, but that doesn't change the fact she's married to you and obsessing over another man.

As another poster mentioned if this was a married man and a young lesbian woman he'd be called a creep.

Her behaviour is disrespectful to your marriage. Regardless of him being gay. Has she other friends? Does she behave similarly around them?

I think it is completely reasonable to tell her this is affecting you. As a married couple you should be able to discuss issues in your marriage. She should be able to reassure you. If she doesn't then you have a choice to make. If you give her an ultimatum then she can decide which relationship is more important to her. A friendship is fine. A giddy teenage like obsession is something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭whitelaurel

wait so let me get this straight , he comes over twice a week, 3/4 hrs but one of them is 1 hr tutoring. She then spent a trip with him )3days) and she wants to go to a concert with him. Sounds like a friend, don’t get all these excessive friendship type posts , maybe ye are all a bit older than me ,I’m early thirties. But I still spend time with pals and go on trips away , concerts etc. just don’t see it being excessive. Obviously he could be bi and then that changes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…you need a therapist asap, and after that you also probably need marriage counselling, to see if things are savable, theres a lot of dysfunctions going on in your marriage, a therapist will guide you through it, do not take advice on such serious matters from strangers on the internets, as this could make things much much worse….

asd is genetic, i have it myself, so whos autistic, mammy and/or daddy? if mammy has it, she may becoming infatuated with him, making him a 'special interest', we can be a little funny when this happens, we tend to obsess, and everything gets dropped, even our own critical needs, including eating, sleeping, bathing etc etc

…but this does need professional intervention, pronto…

…best of luck…

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Kurooi

You'd be right to put your foot down on missing a 20 year anniversary to go out with a friend. That's insulting.

You could expect her to keep a somewhat professional relationship with your kids tutors, the private whatsapps, dinners, gigs are not that. You would be over controlling to try and limit her friendships, and that's not a long term solution, even if the dude was straight there's a line to which you have to be able to trust your partner. Sounds to me like your energy would be best spent trying to address your relationship, you and her. There's a chance that even if she's not conscious about it or nefarious, she is using him to fill the gaps of a relationship and that can't be healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

OP, there are too many unknowns.

Is you wife staying at home mum? Does she has her own circle of friends? Was she involved in any way in his resignation from his school job? Is she inviting him to join you all at dinner or is it cooked especially for him? Does she cook on other days for the family? Have you rejected any gigs earlier? Do you celebrate your anniversaries? how important was it for you earlier? Is he really a fantastic teacher or is it only your wife's opinion? Were you considering divorce before this guy appeared on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Your wife's behaviour isn't normal or appropriate no matter the gender or sexual preferences of the other person involved based entirely on the story as you have presented it.

You admit the marriage isn't great and look having three kids, one with an additional need and all that goes with that in the modern world can bring it's challenges.

You both need to sit down and talk to eachother about yer marriage and year feelings in general. Tell her how you feel about her friendship.

If there's no change in behaviour then review your options.

Ultimately these types of queries are difficult to help with as there are many variables that aren't easy or possible to put down in writing. I think on this occasion you are probably looking to see if other people would be concerned if their partner was acting in a similar way given a similar set of variables and I think the majority would as you can see from the responses.

It might that he lost his job on account of being gay and he had confided in his wife what transpired. If he's a good teacher and your wife recognises that then she may be offering him support under the circumstances. (being that we Irish have such a good record with sexual equality) If he is being harrassed or abused for his sexuality she might feel protective of him. I understand why that might seem like obsession under the circumstances and recognise why the op is upset.

The suggestions that she's having an affair with a gay man, as it were just don't fit. There are too many variables as stated, living abroad and being without immediate family supports he could be thhe first person she's met who she has received some level of support from with respect to her childrens betterment. Again, I understand why the op might find this upsetting. Bringing him to Ireland as a guest, making him dinner and going to a gig with him all seem to me to be about giving him some support in return and for him, confidence that he can be gay without discrimination.

If your angry with your wifes support of a gay man she might feel you are discriminating him for his sexuality too. All that being said, it seems there are other issues in your relationship and if this is causing you to be so upset as to make you feel suicidal then it really is time to pick up the phone and seek professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

OP, thanks for the update. I think it has been lost in the other back-and-forth that has been going on here. It's not a good sign when this teacher is the second man your wife has been attracted to in recent years. I hate to say it but from here it looks like you're on the slippery slope to splitsville. The sexual orientation of this teacher is neither here nor there. She's getting something from these friendships (or whatever they were) that she isn't from you. Have you tried counselling? It might not save the marriage but it might clarify things for the two of you, whatever the future may hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Why can’t we concentrate on the allegedly gay man? 🙄

OP, unless you personally know the tutor is gay (not because an infatuated person says so) assume he’s not.

But, do you want to save the marriage? Do you think your wife does?

Why do you want to save it, it sounds miserable. If it’s for the kids, not sure that’s good enough reason.

BUT, do talk to your wife and let her know your feelings and how stressful it is for you. IF she continues to brush your concerns off as unreasonable I think that tells you plenty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement