Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Looks like gouging for sure, well done Ryanair.

Where there's a will (and a bit of lateral thinking) there's a way.

You can get a ferry over to GB no problem and drive anywhere in Europe.

You can get a coach from Busaras to London Victoria next Friday for €70. Then fly to Rome for €50.

I think the wedding i saw mentioned was Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Xander10

I did look at the media cancellations

If my question was stupid, I apologise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

the Aer Lingus website has a full list of affected flights. Best to get the corrent info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Well, our 1pm flight was cancelled. If it had been half an hour later, it wouldn't have been cancelled.

We've managed to get rebooked to a flight 2 days earlier, so we'll have the additional car hire and accommodation costs, but at least we still get to go on our holiday.

Hope everyone else gets sorted out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

You don’t know it wouldn’t have been cancelled . Nobody knows that yet or what is likely to be affected post 1pm next Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Fair enough, but it's only all flights up to 13.15 that were cancelled. So far, the only flights cancelled after that time are 5 or 6 cities which have multiple daily flights. The EI customer service rep told me we were unlucky to be right at the cut-off time and there was no expectation that any more flights after 1pm would be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Reminds me of the last strikes, I got stuck in Portugal for another week !!!

Oh well, enjoy the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Anyone who unfortunately thinks all the flights scheduled after 1300 will leave on schedule will be in for a big surprise..It will be chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭useless

Text received today around 1pm. Saturday morning flight switched to the previous Friday evening.
    Two week family holiday. Bit of an inconvenience to have to find a hotel at the destination for one night and take an extra days leave from work, but infinitely better than not making it out til Wed/Thu next week & losing a load of money on unused hotel nights and rescheduled car hire.
    Definitely not complaining in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Received an email this morning saying our flight had been switched to privilege airlines.

Am already a nervous passenger so not happy about it.

Does any 1 have any experience with them?

Im hoping its still an airbus.

• Advertisement

They only have a handful in their fleet. I’d be confident it will be the 330 you’ll be on. Nearly sure they have used the same type to and from ACE previously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Almost looks like you got this information directly from EI themselves!

The actual 'real world' number is about €4600 a month after tax etc for an FO.

Sounds like great money, but when you are probably still paying back training loans etc its not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Currently at the moment there is 2 privilege style aircraft in Dublin an a330 and a b777 from the reviews I've read is there service is just like aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

and to be clear, a precedent across the IAG group. I suspect the suggestion in today’s Sindo that the pilots have discounted a hardline imposed by group management on this aspect. I doubt that they want any long running strike/protective action (ie outright closedown for a period) but EI pilots must form a small cohort in IAG. If a climbdown without a reason occurs (and industrial relations tribunals have not come near the 24% yet) then EI management might be told to fold the tent for a period. Where will public attention go then? Will all parties be blamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭MarkN

And to train full time in Ireland is €82,000, Spain, around €120,000. Yes there’s modular options but you’re still looking at €60,000. Life on hold for 18-24 months for training.

I don’t think those figures cover second officer salaries either.

There’s no denying it is ultimately a well paid job (in EI anyway) but the younger pilots / lower end of the pay scale are lights years away from senior captains here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

One good point that's been made is how the Pilots strike has a knock on effect for the entire company, those who are earning a fraction of what some of the pilots are earning, and who work all year round, the cabin crew, ground support, maintenance, catering, office staff/flight ops planning etc. who's jobs could now be on the line depending on how long this drags out for, i'm sure IAG would have no issue using this as an opportunity to reduce costs and outsource more of the flight support functions.

Would also be a chance for Ryanair to run a few of their Max aircraft over to destinations on the U.S east coast, or buy in a few Dreamliners… though can't see that happening.

The other group who IALPA are holding to ransom are the General public who have invested time, money and effort to plan their travel and are now faced with losing deposits, rearranging leave at work and being stranded abroad.. The pilots will lose support each day this goes on..

Ryanair don’t have an ETOPS rating also the range of the 800 would make it kind of prohibitive. Won’t happen anyway not anytime in the near or long term

Thought all the Max's had an ETOPS rating? RA could take over the NY/Stewart route if they blocked off a few seats.

I know O'Leary has said they have no interest in transatlantic, though they have Lauda/Malta/Buzz.. another subsidiary could do the transatlantic runs..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Just recieved text. Flight not cancelled which is good. Privately leased jet being used instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Some of the pay figures here are waaaaay off. @California Dreamer knows what he’s talking about and the FO figure he gives is around about correct, but that’s a new entrant with an unfrozen ATPL and an A320 rating from the get go, which most new FO’s don’t have when joining.

Regarding delays, crew do get paid for delays in the form of credits. Not going to go into the specifics of credits and how they work but an hours delay will result in around about an extra hours pay.

Something was mentioned on the previous page about rostering, pilots are not rostered to max hours each month (the system EI use won’t actually allow it) crew are rostered a max of about 80% or FTL limits give or take.

It’s clear I’ve just stumbled across this thread now and not bothered reading trough all of it 😂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Astral Nav

Do you have any idea what an airline has to do to fly trans Atlantic instead of just short haul? You don't just stick a bit of extra fuel on and tell the pilots to keep going west after Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Im surprised by the silence in the media etc. you'd expect everyone with a pair of lungs and our politicians to keep pushing both sides to start talking. Sounds like both sides have no interest in talking and outsiders have resigned themselves to a long dispute.

I wonder if the American tourists started being affected and hence west of Ireland tourism, would we see interventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

Media always turn on strikers.

The employers pay for advertising, the employees don't. Has our media ever supported a strike ?

Most people in this thread have more in common with the pilots than with the overpaid CEOs even if they don't want to acknowledge it.

We'll have overpaid radio heads like Duffy bleating on about the strikes whilst every single person in the country is forced to pay his wages under threat of imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

Exactly. The front page of the Business Post today talks about pilot pay demands being "excessive". And then on the very next page it talks about the huge increases received by various company execs. Its seems to be no different at Aer Lingus. Most of us do not have the support of a union but it probably is in our interests that the workers side (even if a relatively well paid group in this case) comes out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

There's lots of coverage but in a dispute between a private company and an employee group who are not at the bottom of the heap, there's not going to be a unified view. Also, the Government can only encourage re-engagement (and I imagine there is behind-the-scenes contact) but if one or both parties aren't up for that, its not going to happen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

One thing about becoming a pilot is that should you be struck down with a serious illness you stand to lose your career. I presume many pilots have illness benefit insurance, though this would be seriously costly. These newer degree courses incorporating pilot studies with airline management are a very good idea, where you can still remain in your broader area of work and lend your experience & expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭MarkN

You must've missed Simon Harris for one giving a substantial soundbite on Thursday telling both sides to get into a room and sort it out so families can go on holidays. Silence in the media? It's literally the top story on The Irish Times for the past two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

am I correct in thinking if aer lingus moves my flight to Tenerife out a day for me, wife and 3 kids. I’m entitled to request a full refund plus compensation if €600 per person?

Advertisement